Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 06:01   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente
Re: Companionway Door Brainstorming Session

There is a company in Florida
Entry Doors - Custom Teak Marine Woodwork
they build really nice teak entryway doors, for a reasonable price. No charge for customizing. I sent them a photo of my current set up, talked to them on the phone and received an excellent computer generated set of drawings for the doors and frame. They use really excellent german stainless locksets and hardware. Got a quote here locally in the caribbean and it was double the $$, and about half as nice.
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 06:43   #32

Boat: Ocean Alexander, Ocean 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Shrink some shrink tubing over the hooks.
Brilliant!! I have several hooks that hold doors open that will get done today.
darylat8750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 07:22   #33

Find a large log, and drag it across the companionway to close it. Drag it the other way to open it. That's what our distant ancestors did to secure their caves.

And there has been very little progress from that system...on sailboats, anyway. It's really pretty pathetic. Pay a couple hundred thousand for a sailboat...and you get boards! Yippee.

Yeah, I get that boards will stop a wave better than a door, but there's no reason why a set of stout boards can't be used as a backup in a rough weather situation.

There are no truly elegant solutions to the companionway door problem. The problem begins at the designer's drafting table. Are any designers thinking outside of the box on this issue?

The Zarcor doors are one of the best retro solutions to a basic design problem. But, when open, the doors protrude into the cockpit area where all the commotion is while underway. They're fine when not sailing, or when things have at least calmed down.

On some boats, the companionway is recessed, so that it lies 20" or so forward of the adjacent cockpit bulkheads. Outward swinging doors would be ideal with this arrangement, as when they're swung open, they wouldn't be in the way.

For now, if you want a decent companionway door, get a Searay.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 11:17   #34

Maybe a panel hinged vertically down the centre with a drop down bar to hold it flat and secure for lock up.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:29   #35

Hi DDAbs,
We have Caliber 40LRC with the drop boards as well the removable companionway doors. Boards have a Sunbrella storage pouch that hangs next to the Navigator seat, doors are always kept on unless we decide to remove them and store on nice days sailing around Tampa Bay. We are located in Palmetto and will send you a few pics later this evening. Also have a set of companion way removable hinges if you are looking for hardware.

JT: Water Music IV
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 19:39   #36

Hi,
A few pics of our 40LRC with the companion way doors. We bought her with these solid doors but will likely modify them for removable screens and Lexan ports.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_185133_resized.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	124017   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_185206_resized.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	407.6 KB
ID:	124018  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160509_200223_resized.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	370.0 KB
ID:	124019  
Pirate007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:21   #37

I really liked my hinged removable doors for most of the time living aboard. Much handier than drop boards. Fortunately, often the hinged variety can go outside the slot for the drop boards. Store the drop boards until a bad day at sea. Use the hinged the rest of the time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 10:40   #38

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
DDabs -

I think you might be violating my patent by infringement... Mine utilizes a luxurious full bath turkish towel, and teak plank weighting... Not those super cheap tourist towels that you get at the beach store... Please forward pictures and details on duration of use so that we may discuss royalty compensation...

Brilliant is right... Investigating... Thanks duefocena
Just don't put any snaps on your towel and companionway hatch or I'll have to sue...

Tags
companionway