Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2016, 09:04   #1

Boat: between boats
Headliner Blues

I have read the CF posts back to '08 re failed headliners but still have a question: My sag just started after 29 years. Is there an option to complete replacement once the glue begins to fail?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	headliner blues.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	406.4 KB
ID:	123718  
Old 05-05-2016, 09:34   #2

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'
Headliner Blues

First is really to determine whether it's just the glue that has failed or if it has foam backing on the material that has degraded.

If it is just material, you could try Hi-Temp spray glue (Keystone Bros. is one), the general purpose won't hold up. It is a contact type adhesive, where you spray, wait ~15 minutes and reattach.

If it has a foam backing, that has failed, chances are it is not repairable.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 10:00   #3

Re: Headliner Blues

Thanks Capt. I appreciate your quick response.
Old 05-05-2016, 10:55   #4

Boat: Northstar 1500, 35'

My pleasure, I wish you good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
captjcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 11:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggHrbrGuy View Post
I have read the CF posts back to '08 re failed headliners but still have a question: My sag just started after 29 years. Is there an option to complete replacement once the glue begins to fail?
Looks like my salon headliner. We had the exact same issue. I used a razor blade to make a small slit large enough to fit a small spray can tube into. Then I used 3m spray adhesive with the little straw tube and sprayed it into the sagging area. I then used an iron to flatten everything back out and spread the adhesive around. It's been holding for 5 years now. Good luck!
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:04   #6

Need to know what that headliner is. Foam backed vinyl? is it on board backing or just glued over head? etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 12:51   #7

Boat: Gemini 3200

As the previous poster has pointed out, if it is foam backed and the foam is disinegrating, it's toast. You can test this in a firm part of the headliner like a corner. If you press in and the foam does not spring back, it's only a matter of time before it comes down. Do not, under any circumstances, replace it with another foam backed product. It too will eventually fail. This type of material used to be common in cars of the 80s. I made a good living replacing them in the 90s.

There are other choices that are better such as stretchform. That is the fabric on the floors and sidewalls of those cars. Cheap, hides well, conforms to humps very well, easy to install.
rassabossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:49   #8

Thanks for all the great comments. Later this week I will complete the diagnosis and select the appropriate treatment.
Old 10-05-2016, 09:58   #9
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Egg-
What rassa said. Basically this has been a problem with all "foamed" rubber products for 30? years now. There's no way an end user can tell how the foam was made, and apparently it can be made cheaply is unstable (acidic) chemicals are used, that eventually cause it to powder and crumble.
I would go one step further, and try to get a couple of fingers behind the headliner. If you can crush the foam and "powder" comes out on your fingers? That's the kiss of death, the foam has degraded. In that case even shooting in gobs of new glue usually won't help, as the result will look like the world's worst case of cellulite and the powder prevents most glues from ever getting a proper bond to the remains of the headliner.
The good news is, this can be an opportunity to put in the headliner of your dreams. (G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, headliner