Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2011, 18:01   #31

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
Re: Cold-Molded Boats

Hello Steph,
I've owned a wonderful 46 ft cold molded cutter for 3 years now, and am a big fan of this method of construction. My boat is nearing 40 years old, but is tough as nails. She already has one circumnavigtion under her waterline and is ready for another. She is very dry and my buddies who've been offshore (in very challenging weather) are amazed at how quiet her hull is in comparison to the fiberglass boats they've sailed. She is solid - now groaning and squeaking. To have one built like this today is a high dollar proposition, but you should be able to find a used one for a reasonable price. Few boat buyers understand the construction, and they are a bit gunshy about them.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 04:04   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by swabbmob View Post
Hello Steph,
I've owned a wonderful 46 ft cold molded cutter for 3 years now, and am a big fan of this method of construction. My boat is nearing 40 years old, but is tough as nails. She already has one circumnavigtion under her waterline and is ready for another. She is very dry and my buddies who've been offshore (in very challenging weather) are amazed at how quiet her hull is in comparison to the fiberglass boats they've sailed. She is solid - now groaning and squeaking. To have one built like this today is a high dollar proposition, but you should be able to find a used one for a reasonable price. Few boat buyers understand the construction, and they are a bit gunshy about them.
Thank you sound like you've got a great beaut how did you find it? and how did you make sure that it was in good shape in inside of the hull?
thanks!
S
stephaneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 04:18   #33

Hi again..I was wondering also whats the name of those sailboat that are shape like a football? they are large in the senter and make more room insite. does they have a name? and do they make them Cold-Molded ?
thank you to all
S
Old 24-05-2011, 04:44   #34

hey all i ave a new question..is composit hull like Cold-Molded hull? is it the same thing?
thanks
S
Old 24-05-2011, 04:59   #35

Boat: Van De Stadt "Helena" 38

I just stumbled on this thread and feel I have to have a say. My boat is a strip planked cedar / epoxy and I have never regretted the purchase. When my wife and I went looking we had a reject list which included no cold molded or wood epoxy, no custom or owner builds, no tiller, ..... Well, we both fell in love with what we thought we didn't want, got a thumbs up at survey and haven't been let down. Strong, stiff and a great sail in all conditions and yes, no more maintenance than our previous GRP boat. In fact less, no osmosis. But like any boat its all in the design and quality of the build, no matter what the material.

Have a look at the Van De Stadt web site for ideas and construction pics.
GypsyHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 05:16   #36

Boat: Prout Event 34
Send a message via Skype™ to Aussie_Sequoia

After seeing some absolutely beautiful cold molded wood boats in New Zealand, I have to admit I've been keeping them on the radar in my boat search here in Australia (not that there's that many here comparatively). They seem to have the warmth of a timber boat with the easier maintenance of GRP (or something like that?)... either way I seem to be attracted by them. I need to study up on some of the links posted earlier to see who the really high quality cold molded builders are.
Aussie_Sequoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 05:32   #37

thanks for reply cool let me know on what you discover for high quality cold molded builders.
thanks!
S
Old 24-05-2011, 06:05   #38

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle

Stephaneg, Just to get an idea about current builders - look up Covey Island Boatworks, also Paul Gartside designs some beautiful small cruising boats for cold molded construction. The Woodenboat Forum is also a great place to learn more. Nigel Irens is also a designer who uses this construction method.

You'll have to search pretty hard to find them for sale. Not sure cold-molded works as a filter in the Yachtworld website.
swabbmob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 06:29   #39

Boat: contessa 32

Had a cold molded robin class sloop once :glued,no epoxy or glass,just varnish and paint.Very tough and beautiful but needed much upkeep,maybe would have been less intensive with a west system ,but strong she was.
BTW: Many seem concerned here with"strength", and rightly so,but one aspect that never gets consideration consideration is abrasion resistance; and it is here that I think that cold molded will surpass FRP (glass) with of course steel being at the forefront in this regard. By abrasion resistance I'm refering to grinding up against a beach or some such mishap in wind and waves where there is extensive grinding occuring over time.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 07:14   #40

cool ..thanks SWABBMOB
i will check it out.
Old 26-05-2011, 13:49   #41

Boat: Olson 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
There seems to be a lot of myths about cold molding that I wasn't aware of. First of all, it's resale value is not low. It is in fact the highest of all the modern approaches.
That's an interesting statement, but I think it cannot possibly be true. First, cold molding is more expensive in the first place than fiberglass, so one starts out at a cost disadvantage. Then, no bank I have found will lend on wood boats, including cold molded boats. Therefore, the total market is populated only by those who will buy with all cash, a dramatically smaller market: far less demand means far lower price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAR View Post
... The real problem facing all wooden boats is neglect. Wooden boats can tolerate neglect the least of all the building materials. Of the building methods, cold molding ranks high, near the top of the list in terms of durability to neglect. Only composites with wooden cores fair better and this is directly proportionate to the thickness of the sheathings in comparison.
Yet another reason that new wooden boats are nice, but nice old wooden boats are few and far between. The pervasive smell of mildew is enough for me to avoid them.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2011, 15:49   #42

While mine is a power vessel, it is cold moulded, using 6 layers of 3/16" x 1 1/2" strips, west system epoxy, with each layer laid at angle to the previous layer. The outer layer has glass over it. Painted with 2-part poly (Sterling)

total hull thickness 1 5/8"

Very stiff hull, boat launched in 1998, designed as a replica of a 1963 Monk, and dry and dusty in all bilges.

Since I have not run into anything to damage it yet, I don't really have any experience in the 'repair' process, but it seems like it would be fairly easy.

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Desol.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	405.7 KB
ID:	27838  
isobelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 14:49   #43

Hi to illustrate this thread on the molded wood epoxy, I suggest you watch these videos on the construction of a molded wooden sailboat.
The manufacturer is Thierry Dubois is a French skipper, well known in France for having raced the Vendee Globe. After having built his own racing boats and have stopped competing, he decided to build his dream boat, a schooner molded wood on a Nigel Irens plan. The videos show the construction of this boat over 6 years and shows the extent of the works to provide. This boat called "La Louise" sails now in Greenland. You can automatically translate the videos in English because they are French in origin. There are 15 episodes. But it is very informative and impressive.

Episode One:

fridu is offline   Reply With Quote