Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2015, 07:12   #1

Boat: Morgan, Ocean Racer, 45'
Concrete Sealer on Wood?

The word around the yard here is that Concrete Sealers, such as H&C, are very good at protecting Bare Aluminum spars. Theses sealers are basically Acrylics and so are pretty much immune to the UV that destroys most other plastics and resins. And they penetrate well.

So, how about using them as sealers on wood? Might be far more effective than the usual oils, varnishes or epoxies. Has anyone tried this?
kefroeschner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2015, 07:38   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Concrete Sealer on Wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kefroeschner View Post
The word around the yard here is that Concrete Sealers, such as H&C, are very good at protecting Bare Aluminum spars. Theses sealers are basically Acrylics and so are pretty much immune to the UV that destroys most other plastics and resins. And they penetrate well.

So, how about using them as sealers on wood? Might be far more effective than the usual oils, varnishes or epoxies. Has anyone tried this?
I suggest using concrete sealer on concrete, aluminum sealer on aluminum and wood sealer on wood. The people who make this stuff know what they are doing and tailor their products to their intended use.
Old 19-05-2015, 08:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

As Ron mentioned, unless you have millions in a research budget, and millions more in long term testing, why would you imagine that 'whats going around the yard' is more credible than what the manufacturers who do spend these millions are saying? If concrete sealer was more effective at preserving wood than whats on the market it would be repackaged and sold as such.

The coatings industry typically budgets between 10% and 20% of their annual budget in R&D btw.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 05:53   #4

Thanks guys, but ... I was asking for experience, not opinions.
Old 20-05-2015, 06:12   #5

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

I use Bondcrete on wood, to seal wood against weathering. But, I don't think it would be good anywhere it's continually exposed to water. Bondcrete by the way is a concrete adative to make concrete waterproof. Or you brush it over a concrete floor to seal it. It goes on white and then dries clear.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:07   #6

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
I suggest using concrete sealer on concrete, aluminum sealer on aluminum and wood sealer on wood. The people who make this stuff know what they are doing and tailor their products to their intended use.
+1

Concrete has high thermal stability so shrinkage or expansion arent an issue. Using on aluminium or wood then I would expect issues.

Concrete is also basic in nature so therefor chemically much different to wood.

Id need to see a multi year study to be confident in using them as you state.

Ps. The above is based on my materials experience. It's not opinion its based on the scientific method. In over 30 years I'm yet to see any evidence that magic fairy dust is superior to well engineered products.

You're asking for experience in the use of a product outside of its intended use. That will only be opinion unless validated through testing and validation.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 08:25   #7

Boat: Challenger 32 1974

Don't know about concrete sealer but I use Rustoleum on pretty well everything.
Has held up well for over 20 years on both spars and hull and deck
Looks good also
Bill
anacapaisland42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 09:26   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS
Concrete Sealer on Wood?

Relative newcomer to sailing, recently retired from an international coatings company. A couple of suggestions after many years of technical troubleshooting. Although it's possible to cross use products occasionally, stay with the application recommended by the manufacturer. They spend years testing their products under varying conditions. With new technologies and increasing regulation, outdated "tailgate chemistry" will eventually come back to bite you. Manufacturers are continually updating formulations. The most heard phrase when a coating fails is "I've been doing it this way for years and never had a problem".

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
custhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 13:54   #9

Boat: Mummery 34

Here in Aust we use "Emmerclad" which has instructions for use on wood.
It has been on my wood deck for over 10 yrs without a problem of any kind. Totally sealed.
goodoldwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 15:16   #10

Boat: Coronet Oceanfarer30

Ive used concrete sealer on a canvas Bimini with success. Its over a year and still looking good. Goes on white and dries clear.
Must admd it was an old bimini starting to show uv wear so I thought I couldnt loose much by trying to prolong its life and am pleasantly surprised. Only hoped to get a few months more out of it before replacing it but a year later and its still good!
Ironman162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2015, 15:24   #11

Boat: Farr 1020

Rustic Charm mentions Bondcrete. This is essentially a PVA emulsion, same as carpenters glue and if watered down slightly will penetrate and seal wood well. No abrasion resistance though and will wear easily.
Goodoldwoody quotes the Emerald. This is an acrylic waterproofing membrane which is highly flexible and very good on surfaces but again, subject to movements below because it is limited flexibility when protected from abrasion.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2015, 11:36   #12

Thanks for the feedback. Especially Goodoldwoody and Ironman162. Your experience sounds very promising. I have applied H&C Clear Solvent Based Concrete Sealer on the Southern Yellow Pine cap rails. The stuff is crystal clear and flows and brushes like the best varnishes. I'll let you know when it fails.

Thanks again for the information (and even for the 'opinions.')

kef/Orion