Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2021, 11:20   #16

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged
Re: Chinese Vs Sailrite walking foot sewing machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneDiving View Post
I'm starting to consider options for sewing soft furnishings for a trawler (no steady sail). Ideally I would like to buy a used Sailrite but they are unicorns in Australia. A new one is A$2500 delivered. Intended use is a full vessel refit of lounge toppers, curtains, custom mattress covers and exterior shade fabrics. Plus the 50 other jobs I find when I have a machine sitting there ready to go. I have zero experience sewing.

Option 1: Buy a new Sailrite and sell it once the main refit is finished. Resale is unlikely to happen as there will always be new work to do, so I'm down $2500 but have a very good machine.

Option 2: wait for a used machine to appear. Hopefully this century.

Option 3: Chineseium unit for $700 delivered. Zero resale value so just keep it. Tolerate any quality issues.

Has anyone used a AliExpress special? Is quality so-so or complete garbage?

Is a walking foot model a need to have or a nice to have? The thickest materials will be the couch toppers and shade sails.

Is there anything/other models that I have missed?

Thanks
Given that you have no clue about sewing (me either) I think I'd opt for the Sailrite due to their excellent customer support system (sounds like something you'll need). Sure they cost more (they're supposedly the best you can get) The Chinese version sounds like a possible waste of $700 to me (even if it is only that down under whompum you guys use )
When is the last time you tried to sort out a Chinese instruction manual? They seem to think the more three syllable words they use, the better it sounds even if it makes no sense whatsoever. Spend the money, get the Sailrite and plan on succeeding. BTW, based on the scope of your plans, that $2,500 Sailrite will probably save you at least $15,000.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 13:26   #17

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I have assembled the equivalent of an upgraded Sailrite machine for a fraction of the cost by starting with a Rex 607Z which appears to be the base machine Sailrite starts with before they refine and upgrade it. I added the heavyweight handwheel made by Reliable for their Barracuda machine. I then built a wood roll-around table for the machine and added a servo motor with foot control, available from multiple sources, for smoother low speed operation and more torque. I had to order a custom toothed drive belt for the setup. The last change was to add two metal posts to the handwheel locking knob so that I can use a screwdriver blade to further tighten the lock knob. Sailrite uses a pin to lock the handwheel to needle drive but my approach is simple and works fairly well. All in cost was under $650 USD.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 13:30   #18

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

Forgot one thing. The Sailrite LSZ-1 manual, available online, works fine for the Rex 607Z.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 14:07   #19

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

I bought a new Barracuda (sailrite clone) and love it. It replaced a sailrite LZ1 which was delivered broken and was told to watch videos until I figured out what was wrong.
Capt D Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 14:42   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Why do you have to spend $2500 for a Sailrite. The model we've had for 8 years now retails for $895. You may want another $2-300 for attachments and small tools.

Can't say enough about the Sailrite customer support. They'll talk you through just about any problem you encounter, with patience and class.

Yes, using SeamStik tape is wonderfull for fixing multilayered seams before your sew.

And yes, now that we've completed nearly all exterior covers, a new dodger, and all cushions in and out (heaven!) we've saved at least $10,000 on our 31-foot sailboat.

But be advised that there are few straight seams on a sailboat. Curves rule, but you'll get used to it.

Good luck.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 14:56   #21

Boat: Lagoon 440 & Beneteau Oceanis 350

A heavy duty used and old Singer on eBay will be 1/10 of the Sailrite price, and will meet the same sewing job demand. I bought the new Industrial Singer 4452, it does what I need.
JamesPNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 15:21   #22

Boat: SS34

I bought a secondhand Singer Industrial machine off eBay a few years ago. It's a 20U and it's been a very capable machine and handles leather and sailcloth well. They are made in Japan and China but both are good. I use Sailrite for information and buying thread and needles and then buy the needles from Australian suppliers. The choice of needle and needle size and thread is critical for good results.
Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 15:27   #23

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Before the current crop of walking foot machines, Sailrite sold a machine they called a Sailmaker. It sold for about US$2000 in the early 2000s. It was the machine used in the illustrations of many of the boat canvas books. Back in that day, the Sailrite-Thompson walking foot machines were the low cost option. I picked up a Sailrite Sailmaker on ebay cheap. It was in an industrial base which was a US$335 option. My story is here. https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...g+machine.html

I have used the machine for cushions, a bimini, a sail cover, sail repairs for myself and others, home draperies and curtains, carrying bags... you name it. it has more area under the arm than the current machines which can come in handy.

Matt Grant at Sailrite said, "The Sailmaker was based on a popular Brother TZB-652 [actually TZ1-B652] head which was initially made for dress making. As a result it is a great machine for home tailoring. Sailrite improved the unit to make it suitable for canvas work. As a result the old Sailrite Sailmaker is still a very desirable machine for home entusiasts doing both home and canvas sewing projects." Sailrite Sailmaker - Sailrite Forum

Short story... be flexible, keep your eyes open, be patient, and something will come along. But mostly... unless your really really trust the seller, try it before you buy it.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2021, 17:06   #24

Boat: Volkscruiser

Here is an interesting article on sewing machines.
Cheers
https://www.yachtmollymawk.com/2018/...sailrite-lsz1/
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:21   #25

Boat: 2004 Catalina 42, "Galatea"

My husband 'forced' me to get the Sailrite at the boat show">Annapolis Boat Show a few years ago. I have no other machines to which to compare it, but I will love him forever for insisting on the purchase. As mentioned a million times above, Sailrite's CS is outstanding. I have done repairs to our canvas, made a companionway cover, winter boom cover, rail pads for the stern seats for our Catalina 42. Haven't yet done anything "big" but have had some fun 'recooping' some of the cost by repurposing our 14 yo jib we replaced into fun totes....

Again, I know nothing about the Chinese models but wouldn't hesitate to go with Sailrite. After all the company was founded by a sailor wanting to sew his own sails, canvas, etc cause premade were so expensive.

"Thoughts become things... choose the good ones!"
Aprilmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:43   #26

Boat: Whitby 42

Another vote for the reliable barracuda. I've had one for at least 5 years. Repaired sales, restitched Dodgers, isinglass all your usual sailboat sewing bits. It works just fine. Sailrite is beefed up a few parts and if they ever wear out I'll buy those replacement parts.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 14:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1722terry View Post
Why do you have to spend $2500 for a Sailrite.
To be fair, I did price their Premium bundle, plus Freight to Australia plus a couple of hundred dollars of toys, so the prices aren't a true apples to apples comparison. The $2500 is Australian Pesos not USD.
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 07:28   #28

Boat: William Atkins 26' tops'l gaff cutter

The big distinction is walking-foot versus non. As your skills improve you will likely tackle more ambitious projects, and with a regular machine, the number of layers of material, the heaviness of the material, and the heaviness of the project itself will cause you unending frustration without a machine heavy enough to manage them.

Sailrite's machine is sort of entry-level. It has enough oomph to get the job done, and can be used aboard a boat without access to power (the only walking foot machine for which this is true in my limited experience), but it is a clunky machine (made in China) but with good customer service as others have noted.

I made a dodger with mine... a complicated project with a great tutorial from Sailrite, and have been happy with the result. I am eager to move on to a smoother machine like a Juki, though.

The size and bulk of a project amplifies the difficulties... number of layers is relevant, of course, but the weight of the fabric causes drag and increased friction, and without a walking foot machine, the result will be skipped stitches and frustration.

The high inertia flywheel is a nice addition.

best of luck.
Old 07-05-2021, 08:14   #29

Sailrite is a China built machine. I have a Sailrite clone called Barracuda.
That's basically the same sewing machine at a cheaper price.
https://reliablecorporation.com/prod...sewing-machine
Sailrite has carefully built a nice brand image to ask more money for the product.
Good luck
Michel Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 10:56   #30

Boat: Bavaria 36'

I have an old Singer medium/heavy weight machine which came from eBay at about £150. I have sewn sails, canvas covers and all sorts with it. It is entirely mechanical (and thus easy to maintain) and does not have any fancy feet. The only thing that I do slightly exotic is zigzags where appropriate. My machine will also reverse for locking off at the end of a row.

I have used my wife’s electronically wizard super machine with a box full of different feet (including walking). I have sewn quilts, curtains, table cloths, you name it, on her machine. Frankly I could have done it all on my old machine which plods on regardless. The old machines are rugged, easily maintained and well within the skills of someone maintaining a boat.
Bill_Giles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailrite, sewing machine