Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2021, 18:48   #16

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI
Re: Check out my crack (SS cracks)

A diagnosis of Crevice Corrosion or IGSCC from a picture? Please justify. Asking for a friend that does failure analysis for a living.
Eigenvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 01:38   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

Did you really mean to write "Check out my crack"?

I am minded to send the title to Private Eye to publish as one of their bring a laugh headlines.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 20:41   #18

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Agree with the first 5 posters, SS crevice corrosion. It cannot be welded. There is much more corrosion on the inside. The sixth post advises you to look for "white" spider cracks. As a Certified Marine Corrosion Analyst, I've never seen any white corrosion on ss.
That's fine "white spider WEB cracks", not "white corrosion". I've seen lots pf 316 stainless steel with fine white spider WEB cracks.

When I bought my boat, I was walking along the dock and noticed the top half of a nut on the bowsprit turnbuckle, the sprit was sticking out over the dock at eye level, with the bottom half of the nut missing... I found white spider web cracks in five of the 11 turnbuckles, and replaced them all. The surveyor had missed the white spider web cracks. I put in a complaint (I would not have bought the boat if I had known about those corroded turnbuckles), the word got around, and the surveyor did not do any more surveys from that office.

Seymore
With a solid degree in chemical engineering (retired).
Last job was Hydraulic Engineer with a US city waterworks, including extensive corrosion work.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 20:44   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
That's fine "white spider WEB cracks", not "white corrosion". I've seen lots pf 316 stainless steel with fine white spider WEB cracks.

When I bought my boat, I was walking along the dock and noticed the top half of a nut on the bowsprit turnbuckle, the sprit was sticking out over the dock at eye level, with the bottom half missing... I found white spider web cracks in five of the 11 turnbuckles, and replaced them all. The surveyor had missed the white spider web cracks. I put in a complaint (I would not have bought the boat if I had known about those corroded turnbuckles), the word got around, and the surveyor did not do any more surveys from that office.

Seymore
With a solid degree in chemical engineering (retired).
Last job was Hydraulic Engineer with a US city waterworks, including the corrosion work.
Guess that trumps my Certificarion as a Marine Corrosion Analyst. How about some photos of white corrosion on stainless so I can add them to my 10,000 photo library.
Old 21-09-2021, 20:59   #20

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

I agree: Replace!
Old 21-09-2021, 21:37   #21

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

That ain't a crack, it's a break. Gone pecawn...though it looks pretty localized, so a competent shop (or individual) could possibly repair it.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2021, 22:37   #22

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Good luck finding teak, but sure you could make it out of wood or something. Other materials have various tradeoffs:
bronze: cost
duplex stainless/titanium: cost
aluminum: corrosion, harder to weld, physically larger (but lighter)
wood: weight
fiberglass/carbonfiber: I would consider as best option but requires proper engineering

If you are replacing it I would consider other materials besides stainless.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2021, 14:47   #23

Eigenvector, from a photo we cannot perform a metallurgical failure analysis. My comments were from decades of doing thousands metallurgical cross-sections during failure investigations. In the photo it looks like the crack like indications are jagged as would be expected from a crack following grain boundaries . On many samples I have investigated with these crack like features seen on the surface, when performing a cross-section and looking at the microstructure, the cracks do follow the grain boundaries. In 316 stainless steel often this inter-granular cracking is caused by chromium carbides in the grain boundaries (which depletes the chromium in the grain adjacent to the grain boundary and verified by energy dispersive spectroscopy in an SEM). I hope this helps answer questions from your friend.
Dan_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2021, 06:49   #24

Boat: Lagoon 37 TPI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_K View Post
Eigenvector, from a photo we cannot perform a metallurgical failure analysis. My comments were from decades of doing thousands metallurgical cross-sections during failure investigations. In the photo it looks like the crack like indications are jagged as would be expected from a crack following grain boundaries . On many samples I have investigated with these crack like features seen on the surface, when performing a cross-section and looking at the microstructure, the cracks do follow the grain boundaries. In 316 stainless steel often this inter-granular cracking is caused by chromium carbides in the grain boundaries (which depletes the chromium in the grain adjacent to the grain boundary and verified by energy dispersive spectroscopy in an SEM). I hope this helps answer questions from your friend.

I would agree that a stamped report would contain micrographs at a minimum.
Eigenvector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 10:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBeakie View Post
I think maybe your tube is corroding from the inside. Following on from what Manateeman said, it appears the marine industry is OK with poor TIG welding practices wrt stainless tube welding. I've seen so many welded joints where the corrosion is coming through from the inside of the tube, it's Obviously just normal, poor welding practice.

When ss tube is argon TIG welded, the inside of the tube should be back flushed with argon during the welding, to prevent "sugaring" of the metal, which eliminates the anti corrosion properties of stainless. But the welders don't bother setting up the back flush to protect the inside surface from the heat.
EXACTLY
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2021, 22:50   #26

Boat: Cal 29 mk2

wood is better!
capn ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 13:44   #27
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Exactly. It’s not difficult to keep argon on the backside of the weld. Some tape, argon, a few other tricks. Also the skill of the welder in heat control is very important. Preparing and cleaning in both aluminum and stainless TIG is critical to strong welds. Spend a little time just watching “Welding Tips and Tricks”.
You don’t need to understand everything...just learn to see what Jody points to in good and bad welds. Guys who weld for food or chemical plants have to get it right. Same with bicycles or motorcycles. Then there is post weld treatments.
Take your time. Quality work isn’t cheap but will last. I’ve seen poor quality stainless tube sell cheap. You can learn a lot just watching in a good shop. It’s your boat and it’s a keeper so please do it right.
Mark and the manatee crew.
What he said.

I live in a place with a big dairy industry, some great SS welders around here.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote