Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-10-2022, 19:10   #1

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35
CAS or "Chainplate avoidance syndrome"

After spending a few years in boatyards and rebuilding/watching others work on their boats I've noticed an interesting phenomenon I've taken to calling "Chainplate avoidance syndrome" or CAS

I gave it this name because it usually becomes apparent in my fellow boaters when the discussion about their boats comes down to inspection of chainplates but it also occurs when discussing cutlass bearings. They'll tell me all about the work then did on their improvements and the new bottom job etc but when it comes to chainplates and cutlass bearings, it's as if they just don't want to know.

"Oh I can tell, the chainplates are fine. The previous owner replaced them (15 years ago)"

But you really can't tell without pulling them and checking on the interior side for crevice corrosion

"Oh no, that's not necessary, see, no rust."

Actually there's rust right there see? But in any case again, you can't tell unless you pull them. No human can see through steel.

"Oh I'm sure they're fine, they're very shiny stainless steel aren't they?"

*sigh* Hey what a lovely anchor...

What explains this of course is that removing and inspecting chainplates is a PITA so easier to just rationalize not doing so. People don't like bad news and don't like the bearers of bad news very much either
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote