Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2023, 08:48   #1

Boat: Hunter Passage CC 42
Canvas Snaps

1993 Hunter 42 CC
S/V BABU
Carrabelle, FL

I want to make a canvas cover that will hold to the deck using snaps. The cover will be over the windshield. This, to reduce sunlight/heat and protect the newly-installed acrylic. The boat came with what appeared a vinyl cover. It was cracked and junk. I like the snaps that screw down and intend to use existing holes around the windshield.

Looking on Amazon, I found some 10mm Canvas Snaps (CHINA). Clueless, I didn't get a tool to make holes and fix the snap top to the canvas. Now what to do?

So my search turned to Sailrite. There are literally hundreds of different snaps and tools there. Now I am totally overwhelmed!

I would appreciate someone with experience in this to point me in the right direction. Can you suggest some snaps and tools that will do the job, and are suitable for an inexperienced person? I'm sure there's a favorite that will be simple and suitable. I just don't know how to select it

Thank you so much!

/mark
K1MGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2023, 08:55   #2

Boat: EDELCAT33
Re: Canvas Snaps

If you go to their (Sailrite) articles, they list all the materials needed as well as tools.
I know this link is not exactly what you want but is 99.9% useful. Make sure your pattern is done right.

https://youtu.be/OgXOBI5X9ww
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2023, 14:17   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, Mark, k1mgy,

We have been using s/s snaps for years. Plastic snaps are vulnerable to UV damage, especially if they are sitting on the deck. The s/s work very well, but we haven't had ones from China. If you plan to do all your canvas work, get one of the expensive long handled snap setters. The extra leverage makes the job go faster. When you're replacing tired fabric with new, it can be handy to not have to lay it on the deck, but to install the snaps as you go along.

Some people use shade cloth [like Breezeway] to cover the dodger windows, to preserve them, but also be able to see out. If the windows are of the harder clear materials, it won't scratch as easily, and that should work out fine for you. However, if you make the covers out of Sunbrella, you can wash them in the laundry. Either way, you protect the windows from UV damage.

Watch the SailRite videos BEFORE you do the job. (Yes, I learned that the hard way. )

Ann
Old 17-08-2023, 18:01   #4

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

What Ann said! ^^^^
I have a hammer snap setter. It’s great for occasional use.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas