Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2010, 05:23   #1
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Canvas Snaps with #10 Self-Tapping Threads

I sewed up a set of window covers, with the intention of removing about every other fastener and repalcing it with a same-size snap. I've seen this done on a number of boats and it seemed simple. It would match the hard top skylight covers. Now I have found out that the fasteners in the windows are #10 thread and all of the snaps I can find are #8 thread.

The windows are attached with a thick band of sealer and I doubt the screws serve any structural purpose.
  • I could mount the snaps next to the window frames. Unfortunatly, the covers are already sewn. I could sew small webbing exentions to solve that. A lot of new holes.
  • I could make little 2-hole addapters out of 1/4 FRP and mount the snaps in that (one hole for the existing fastner, one for the snap). I would move the snaps about 3/8-inch to sone side which would harm nothing, since I have not mounted the snaps in the fabric yet. A bit laborious, but simple and safe. However, I am sure that the leverage will make the adapters spin out of position over time.
  • I could epoxy the holes and redrill, but the windows would need to come off. Nope.
  • I could attach the covers with ties to pad eyes next to the windows. A lot of new holes and a nusance to take on and off, I think. Reliable, though.
  • Velcro was suggested, but I'm not impressed with velcro on-deck. It can't take the sun and is not very possitive.
I would prefer to find #10 thread snaps.

Tags
canvas