Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 09:15   #1

Can you help me figure out how to apply butyl tape when I remount my traveler track?

This is on a San Juan 23. I'm somewhat familiar with butyl and mounting hardware, I redid all the deck hardware on my boat last year and have some understanding of refilling, redrilling, chamfering, etc. with no leak so far.

See pics

The track sits in a recessed well that collects rain water and there is no drain for the well. It was leaking a bit. Note that the track itself is a U shape and the open part of the U goes down on to the fiberglass of the well. Where the holes are for the bolts to go through the fiberglass, nothing will be pushing down on the butyl, at the hole to seal it. Also, there are end caps for the track (not pictured)

I was considering either 2 separate beads of butyl along each side of the bottom of the track or 1 wide sheet along the entire length and width of the bottom of the track. That way there would be some butyl in the middle/open area and when the bolt goes through it, it will at least push some down the hole.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220407_112848013_HDR.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	346.5 KB
ID:	255604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220407_112822797_HDR.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	404.3 KB
ID:	255605  

Name:	IMG_20220407_112454675.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	255606   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220407_112441541.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	255607  

jjccp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:21   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Can you help me figure out how to apply butyl tape when I remount my traveler tra

Have not used butyl for installing deck gear. Using a different sealant - 3M 4200? - for the bolts and bolt holes and then butyl for the edges might work. It would be tempting to create a drain into the cockpit for the trough.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:24   #3

Re: Can you help me figure out how to apply butyl tape when I remount my traveler tra

I would lay down a thick solid bed of butyl tape, install the track, trim the edges.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:26   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I would lay down a thick solid bed of butyl tape, install the track, trim the edges.
That’s exactly what I do also. Never leaks.

A nice big strip all along the whole thing. I also put some under each bolt head.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:35   #5

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

What would having some 1/8" 3.2mm G10 washers epoxied at the bolt hole locations look like? Then selectively apply butyl to the tops of them and the bolts. The drain(s) would be my preferred solution but would involve some commitment on drilling and glassing and gel coat touch-up to the visible cockpit and track channel.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:44   #6

Boat: Tashiba 40

You could install a strip of aluminum the same dimensions as the track underneath it.
Weatherbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 10:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherbird View Post
You could install a strip of aluminum the same dimensions as the track underneath it.
Thank you all for the great ideas. That's why I love this place.

Weatherbird, your idea got me thinking. Instead of a continuous strip, what if I make and install some 1/4" or even 1/8" thick by 1" long solid aluminum spacers at each mounting screw and a couple of longer formed spacers to support the track end stops? This would squish the butyl at the holes and also raise the track and give me some amount of drainage just from the boat rocking.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That’s exactly what I do also. Never leaks.

A nice big strip all along the whole thing. I also put some under each bolt head.
Yes, forgot to mention, for sure some under each bolt head too.
Old 07-04-2022, 12:46   #9

Boat: Tashiba 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjccp View Post
Weatherbird, your idea got me thinking. Instead of a continuous strip, what if I make and install some 1/4" or even 1/8" thick by 1" long solid aluminum spacers at each mounting screw and a couple of longer formed spacers to support the track end stops? This would squish the butyl at the holes and also raise the track and give me some amount of drainage just from the boat rocking.
So basically a strip but cut to leave unsupported spans in between the screws to allow for drainage? Makes sense to me.

I might make each of the spacers take two screws to help keep them straight.
Weatherbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 15:46   #10

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

You might also want to read the article in Marinehowto.com. The butyl tape he endorses and sold in his on line store (the store is no longer open due to health) is called Bed It. That's what I use and it is great stuff. I don't know if you can get it elsewhere.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 19:34   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/

Don't forget to bevel the holes per this link. Cheers/Len
Old 07-04-2022, 21:12   #12

Boat: Ontario 32

Don't overthink this or get too complicated in your approach. In a situation like yours, I would lay a very thin strip of butyl along each bottom flange of the track. This is simply an aid to bedding it against the gelcoat, not for waterproofing. To waterproof the fasteners, I would insert the bolts through the track prior to mounting. Pinch the butyl on the bottom flanges in a bit, to hold each bolt in place. Then, wrap a thin layer of butyl around the threads of each bolt where it will be passing through the fiberglass. This butyl will provide the actual sealing against water penetration.

When everything is prepped, carefully maneuver the track into place, locating each bolt into its proper hole. Then, oh so carefully, try to work the track and bolts down evenly along the length of the track. Once you have enough threads through the fiberglass, then you can pull them down using the nuts, doing a few turns on each nut and then moving on to the next. Repeat until fully tight. If you have gauged things properly, once each bolt is fully seated there should be just a hint of butyl showing on the bolt threads underneath, before the nut is on.

I had a very similar track installation on my C&C 27 and over 16 years it never leaked that I could detect. Also, this is the approach which the builder used for the cleats and stanchions on my current boat. When I pulled those bolts last summer everything was still bone dry after 46 years of sailing. Definitely don't use silicone. 4200 will cure and degrade from UV over a few years, resulting in leaks when the track works under load. I speak from experience on that. Everything that I have ever bedded with butyl has never leaked, but it is important to carry it down into the hole.
Old 08-04-2022, 05:06   #13

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Because this track is an open channel, putting butyl on the bottom of it does not confine it in such a fashion that it will seal at its best. The spacers under the track would create a nice place for the butyl, esp. if they had the small chamfer recommended by others to create an o-ring effect. I am no longer suggesting epoxying the spacers to the boat now that I have take a better look at the track channel.

Is Ron back in business with the Bed-It product? I thought sales were on hold due to health issues.

A drain is still important otherwise the joints are constantly 'soaking in the bathtub' so to speak.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	23sanjuan_track.png
Views:	76
Size:	8.7 KB
ID:	255644  
Old 08-04-2022, 07:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
You might also want to read the article in Marinehowto.com. The butyl tape he endorses and sold in his on line store (the store is no longer open due to health) is called Bed It. That's what I use and it is great stuff. I don't know if you can get it elsewhere.
Yes, thank you for that. I think I've read every word on Marinehowto.com and I have the Bed It tape. Excellent info on that site.
Old 08-04-2022, 07:11   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
https://marinehowto.com/bed-it-tape/

Don't forget to bevel the holes per this link. Cheers/Len
Great tip, thanks. I have my chamfer bit ready.