Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2020, 16:33   #46

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Building Watertanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'm sure I read on a thread some time ago that only about a third of boaties claimed they drank boat tank water (they drank bottled water instead). I'm not surprised as a lot (most) tanks cannot be cleaned because they don't have large inspection hatches to enable them to be regularly cleaned.

This article would seem to confirm that most people drink bottled water. (Sadly most empty plastic bottles would be heaved overboard).

https://www.yachtingworld.com/featur...c-survey-66549

I'll treat the installation of a water-maker as top priority.
Have to agree with this, in my case the tank is essentially inaccessible, had a smell when I bought it and even though repeated cleaning with bleach and flushing has gotten rid of the smell I am still reluctant to drink from it, although I have and there is no taste I tend to use the 10 litre plastic containers and refill from town water.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2020, 23:01   #47

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I’d add baffled if I were building a tank
Old 14-03-2020, 00:32   #48

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
I'm sure I read on a thread some time ago that only about a third of boaties claimed they drank boat tank water (they drank bottled water instead). I'm not surprised as a lot (most) tanks cannot be cleaned because they don't have large inspection hatches to enable them to be regularly cleaned.
I think might depend were you are sailing. Generally Europe has excellent water quality, often free and state monitored, I have always drunk from the boats tanks. Therefore very few water makers on yachts staying in Europe though a few in the Med.

However, our tank is bleached each year, in fact just done it for the coming season. We also installed a large clear inspection hatch so we can see what is going on.

That said, I can see the problem if your "off piste" and the local water is in short supply or of dubious quality.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 06:38   #49

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
This nut is too big to crack. I was trying to do the same thing. It's just not worth the time, money and health risks involved.

Get a polyethylene water tank and make it fit. You'll be very happy you did.

Polyethylene is a thermal plastic that is heat deformable, and weldable.

If it was MY boat, I would buy a couple sheets of it, and weld it into place.

Polyethylene is durable, you can buy food grade, UV stabilized, any color.

I've made welded pressure tanks rated to 100psi.

No coatings, or curing needed.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 07:59   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowdan View Post
Hey all,

I am planning to build the tank out of 1/4" marine ply, nailing it all together with a nailgun, then epoxying the entire interior/exterior with some 6oz cloth - probably 2-3 layers. All joints will have tapes seams with biaxial cloth. I'll put in a few baffles as well.
:\

I suspect that 2-3 layers won't be enough to make it waterproof unless you add a thick layer of epoxy afterwards. My superstructure is a foam sandwich, and 3 layers was still porous. Admittedly, I was building in the same manner as I did with an aircraft, applying just enough resin to bind the fibres without adding unnecessary weight. An extra coat of resin was needed, then topcoat.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 08:44   #51

Boat: Switch 51 #10

You might consider building your own polyethylene or polypropylene water tank. Buy the flat sheet, weld it with one of those Chinese welding tools which cost 200$.

There are 2 types of welding: by adding molten material, or hot-air melting; I would go for the first. Some tools can do both.

There are enough how-to videos on Youtube. Polypropylene is best for diesel fuel, polyethylene is good enough for water. To fill and get water out you can weld-on a same-material pipe; or use through-hulls with rubber rings; glue does not work well on polyethylene.
If it has to follow the shape of the hull you will need to bend that side with heat or build-up from separate sections.

Disadvantage of this is extra weight and volume lost by the double wall.
Advantages: No danger of poisoning yourself, of bad taste and of difficult chemicals.
Of course there are companies which would be prepared to do this job for you.

I have never done this, however I will surely do this when necessary.
It is i.m.o. much simpler and less work than making 2 holding tanks from honeycomb and glass fiber/epoxy which I did a few years ago.
Jef & Marin, Netherlands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 08:49   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jef & Marin, Netherlands View Post
You might consider building your own polyethylene or polypropylene water tank. Buy the flat sheet, weld it with one of those Chinese welding tools which cost 200$.

Some plastic materials have woven firbeglass partially embedded in one side. Cut, weld, then apply more fibreglass to the outside for reinforcement, particularly the seams.
Old 16-03-2020, 10:02   #53

Boat: Hunter 356

Didn’t read entire thread so forgive me if someone else has suggested this. How about building it with starboard and a plastic welder?
jsanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 13:30   #54

I guess you work with the material that you know but I would build the tank from metal.

The fabrication costs wouldn't be that high even if you used stainless.

Make a cardboard mockup. Test fit it. Then bring the pattern to a sheet metal shop. They can do the straight cuts with a shear, plasma cut the curves and TIG weld the joints before you mix up the epoxy.

If the tank is well supported, it doesn't have to be thick.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 14:56   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
I guess you work with the material that you know but I would build the tank from metal.

The fabrication costs wouldn't be that high even if you used stainless.

Make a cardboard mockup. Test fit it. Then bring the pattern to a sheet metal shop. They can do the straight cuts with a shear, plasma cut the curves and TIG weld the joints before you mix up the epoxy.

If the tank is well supported, it doesn't have to be thick.
It may not be relevant, depending on mileage ang desired longevity but :

Sharp corners tend to fracture. Stainless work hardens, and age hardens. Sharp corners focus stresses. If you can find a GOOD fabricator, they will be able to fabricate with radiused corners, with the welded seams on the flat rather than the corners.
Old 18-03-2020, 07:12   #56

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Don't mess with coatings. Just buy a bladder. I converted a deck box into an extra tank. 100 gal with a bladder. Easy. Less than $200
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 07:22   #57

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

Also. Re quality. Buy a Zero Water filter pitcher for coffee and drinking water. It will produce water that tests at 5ppm or less for months. Just fill a few bottles from time to time and have a spare filter on board. Works great and comes with a tester.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 19:26   #58

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
. Then bring the pattern to a sheet metal shop. They can do the straight cuts with a shear, plasma cut the curves and TIG weld the joints before you mix up the epoxy.

What has epoxy to do with stainless steel? (I'm intrigued!)

As other person(s) have said SS work hardens with time
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2020, 21:08   #59

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

went down this road a couple years ago on my build. right before my head exploded i found ronco plastics in so cal. tons of semi-custom shapes made to order. well worth finding one thats close to your dimensions, pull the trigger and go sailing...

https://ronco-plastics.com/product/w...-holding-tank/

my .02
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tanks, water