Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2016, 09:25   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Boom gallows - yes or no?

I have a Tashiba-31. I've noticed a number of boats of this model in different sizes have a boom gallows.

I'm wondering what are the pros/cons to have a boom gallows?
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 09:51   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boom gallows - yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmksails View Post
I have a Tashiba-31. I've noticed a number of boats of this model in different sizes have a boom gallows.

I'm wondering what are the pros/cons to have a boom gallows?
I like Traditional Styled boats, so I often see Boom Gallows when viewing the boats.

Here is my Quick Response to your question:

The Boom Gallows is primarily a safety feature on a boat.

It allows the boom to rest in a secure position while any work is done on the boom, such as while reefing or while stowing the mainsail or when the boat is sitting at anchor or on a mooring and even while it is sailing.

How does it increase safety?
It may prevent a dangerous situation by preventing the boom from sweeping low across a deck during a gybe (accidental or planned). A boom that swings across a deck can hit crew, possibly killing them instantly, possibly injuring them seriously, or possibly knocking them overboard.

Since a boom is one of the most dangerous things on any sailboat, having good control of it at all times is a sign of good seamanship.

Many modern yachts have a solid boom vang (think hydraulic piston) that will keep the boom elevated, but it will not keep the boom from swinging from side to side (part of its dangerous motion). So, you could be up on the cabin top trying to tie in a reef during a blow, when the boom swings and throws you off balance, or off the boat, or hits you or your crew. So, a solid vang is helpful in keeping the boom level to the deck, but will not prevent the accidents that happen from a swinging boom. Note: A "Preventer" is a smart idea to use.

Boom Gallows were designed long before those hydraulic solid boom bangs were invented. They are simple, and effective.

There are other uses for a Boom Gallows, but I will let you do some research for those. My main point is what I consider the most important one: safety.
______

Another point: I started this reply by stating I like traditional styling on boats. But, one can find Boom Gallows fitted to more modern boat designs too.

I have seen Boom Gallows on "Custom" designed boats built by cruisers, and those boats are not all full keeled or full of wood or traditional styling.

They can be useful, but I suspect most sailors don't have them because they think they look old fashioned, they may look unsightly on a deck, they add some windage, they don't look "sleek and fast" on the boat design, or they simply don't care about the positive aspects and see only the negatives or they simply bought a boat that did not come with one.
_________
Hope that helps.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 12:02   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is a video that shows how quickly a gybing boom can swing dangerously from side to side, while the crew is preoccupied with maneuvering and then hanging on.

This video shows what can happen in the typical summer winds in San Francisco Bay (this is off the "City Front" and that is Alcatraz Prison in the background.) It is common to see daily winds of 20-30 knots and strong ebb and flood tide currents in this area we call "The Slot" because of the way the wind is funneled through the Golden Gate. During races, it gets "intense" and broaches and spin outs are commonly seen as sailors push their boats to win. I have seen this happen to very large, very expensive boats, which have a full crew of professional sailors. And as you watch this violent gybe and broach, notice how the boom swings across the boat. That is a very dangerous thing and can actually kill people if they don't avoid the boom. That is not easy to do when hanging on as the boat rolls from one side to the other violently as it does here.

https://youtu.be/8sd513xQzV4
Old 17-11-2016, 14:21   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I don't get it, Steady... how does a boom gallows stop a boat from gybing whilst racing? Or cruising, for that matter? Or add safety whilst deliberately gybing?

Yes, a gallows can be useful while tying in a reef (if you actually use the nettles to tie up the bunt which I've never done, ever) but with jiffy reefing from t he cockpit or from the gooseneck, it isn't very essential. And of course, it is good for stabilizing the boom when the mainsail is not in use, and it can be used as part of an awning . It is also good for knocking your head on, adding aerodynamic drag and interfering with sheeting.

Kind of a mixed blessing IMO!

Jim
Old 17-11-2016, 14:40   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

the gallows is for resting boat, not for sailing boat. doesnt keep boom from gybing. sailor does that.
i will be installing gallows for my main and my mizzenbooms along with my dodger and bimini. and davits.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 14:44   #6

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I'd like to have a gallows, I was thinking about making some kind of gallows/dodger combo... sure are nice when reefing... don't want yer boom to hit it in a gybe, but on the other hand I guess better it than my head.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 15:02   #7

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

No gallows
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 15:03   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the gallows is for resting boat, not for sailing boat. doesnt keep boom from gybing. sailor does that.
i will be installing gallows for my main and my mizzenbooms along with my dodger and bimini. and davits.
Exactly. It's a good device to hold the boom from swinging as the boat moves. No creaking and working of the mainsheet etc. When you raise the sail the boom lifts up off the gallows. It wont touch again until you lower the sail. I like the ones I had; it also allows you to swing the boom to one side when at dock/anchor... out of the way of the cockpit and companionway. Would a I go to the trouble to put one on a boat that didn't have one... hmmm.. maybe not.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 16:05   #9

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

A boom gallows was the only practical way to rig a bimini on my little gaffer,

Best use I ever saw though was on a beautiful 42' center cockpit yawl owned by a friend. The helmsman sat at the aft end of the cockpit, and just in front of the boom gallows. Suspended from the boom gallows was a nicely varnished wooden barrel, which in actuality was a cooler just big enough to hold a 6-pack and some ice. For the Captain's use only of course lol.
Old 17-11-2016, 17:46   #10

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

So far, no mention of topping lifts!

Surely, most yachts which do not have rigid vangs to support the boom instead have a topping lift which is used both when sails are furled (as an alternative to a boom gallows) and when sailing (to assist when reefing). In my experience, a topping lift combined with some triangulated ties from deck or cabin-top will hold the boom steady when 'at rest'. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

It seems to me that boats equipped with boom gallows almost certainly have topping lifts also, so the there's no gain in simplicity or reduction in chafe of the mainsail by fitting a boom gallows.

The only disadvantage of relying on a topping lift to support the boom 24/7 (at rest) is that it is probably the item of standing rigging that is most likely to be neglected, due to its generally passive role.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 17:56   #11

Boat: Westsail 28

One will not really fit on your boat , and if you have a topping lift you don't need one . If you must have one it would have to be located just forward of the companion way hatch . You could find some really cool bronze castings and make one https://www.google.com/search?q=bron...95p_twfHIMM%3A TASHIBA 31 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
However all is not lost , with all the money you save on the gallows you can buy wood shell blocks .

markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 18:05   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is another video clip, and actually the one I intended to post earlier, but both show an uncontrolled gybe and how fast the boom can swing across the boat.

https://youtu.be/ytwSGiJEe1Y
Old 17-11-2016, 18:14   #13

Boat: Westsail 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
This is another video clip, and actually the one I intended to post earlier, but both show an uncontrolled gybe and how fast the boom can swing across the boat.

https://youtu.be/ytwSGiJEe1Y
Nice vid SH but what does it have to do with a gallow I ask good naturedly ,in all friendly. mw.
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 18:18   #14

Boat: Nautitech 40 (2005)

I think we're being tempted to go off-topic. Those guys need training in seamanship, not a boom gallows. The youtube comments try to excuse them as being "national champions". Clearly rock stars who refused to get the engine started until they were already on the rocks, because they wanted to avoid a DSQ.
chris in SG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2016, 18:31   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I don't get it, Steady... how does a boom gallows stop a boat from gybing whilst racing? Or cruising, for that matter? Or add safety whilst deliberately gybing?

Yes, a gallows can be useful while tying in a reef (if you actually use the nettles to tie up the bunt which I've never done, ever) but with jiffy reefing from t he cockpit or from the gooseneck, it isn't very essential. And of course, it is good for stabilizing the boom when the mainsail is not in use, and it can be used as part of an awning . It is also good for knocking your head on, adding aerodynamic drag and interfering with sheeting.

Kind of a mixed blessing IMO!

Jim
Jim,

I think you have misunderstood my comments above.

I never said a boom gallows stops a boat from gybing or is used to prevent gybing while racing or sailing.

I did say it could help prevent an accident by preventing a boom from sweeping low across a deck and could improve safety.

Another example: a boat that is at anchor that has not secured its boom, and has it only hanging from a topping lift may have the boom swing across the boat (e.g. If the boat is waked, etc.). That can be a risk to crew on deck.

IF the boom gallows is above your head level whilst you sit or stand in the cockpit, the boom will remain above your head, not fall down on your head (e.g. If the topping lift breaks, etc.). I have now posted two video clips that show how the crew has to duck as the boom sweeps across during an uncontrolled gybe.

IF the boom is resting (again above head level) in the boom gallows (say when at anchor or after the mainsail has been dropped and is being tied or has been covered) it can be used to secure the boom from swinging, increasing safety on deck and in the cockpit.

I will post a photo of a typical Boom Gallows on a traditional styled boat, as it should make clearer that the boom can be above head height and secured in one of the three 'cups' or depressions or cutouts one sees in the gallows top edge.

I hope that clarifies my point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1616.JPG
Views:	1312
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	136390   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1614.JPG
Views:	718
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	136391  

Click image for larger version