Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2016, 14:42   #61

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Boom gallows - yes or no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I have just inched our boom up to get better clearance over the gallows. But I am keeping the gallows.

What I do like is when the boom is in the gallows and we are becalmed (or anchored and rolling) the boom does not move and the attached blocks, necks and elements to not make noise. I do like this fact as I suffer from excessive noise onboard.

b.
A good post.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:59   #62
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Earlier in this thread I mentioned that even on a boat with the boom centered on relatively calm seas (or at anchor/moored) or while motor sailing, the boom can still be dangerous.

This video is the best I have seen to show how a boom can hit someone very quickly (faster than a human can react or duck) and it does not require more than a puff or a rocking of the boat on a swell, even IF the main sheet is tight.

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 16:08   #63

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Another good reason for soloists to have a harness on even in relatively calm weather. He fell into the cockpit, but on a smaller boat perhaps not...
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:30   #64

Boat: Nicholson 55

I’m looking to fit a permanent gallows to this boat;

The mainsail is 510 sq ft and the boom is correspondingly heavy - a size up on a forty-odd foot boat. The frame will go over the companion hatch garage.

Can anyone suggest any proprietary fittings that will do the job?
Methersgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 19:57   #65

Boat: Sabre 402

You would be better off starting a new thread, rather than taking this one from 2016 off in a different direction. (The original thread here, dead for three years, is discussing the pros and cons of boom gallows, and you are not asking that at all.) Because each boat and owner is different, most gallows are custom made. These guys do make fittings that will do the job: https://www.porttownsendfoundry.com/boom-gallows , though they might look somewhat out of place on your sleek ex race boat. A simple teak plank with notches for the boom, held up by stainless steel stanchions (hinged, possibly, or mounted in sockets on the deck or cabin top so it could be stowed when not needed?) would seem more suitable.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 08:27   #66

I would hate to see a cobbled together gallows on that sleek looking racing hull. A nicely made SS one would be great. Is there a problem you are trying to sole? Just mainsail noise at the dock or anchor? I see you have a topping lift already.
Do you want to place the boom to the side for living aboard? Or would you want 3 positions?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 12:07   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I would hate to see a cobbled together gallows on that sleek looking racing hull. A nicely made SS one would be great. Is there a problem you are trying to sole? Just mainsail noise at the dock or anchor? I see you have a topping lift already.
Do you want to place the boom to the side for living aboard? Or would you want 3 positions?
Thanks; you are right.Stainless steel fabrication is the way to go. I’ve since acquired an hydraulic rigid strut, so the topping lift is redundant, but after a lifetime on gaff cutters I don’t feel safe unless the boom is securely parked in a rigid gallows when:

1. not under way
2. reefing or stowing the mainsail
3. (Most important!) the trysail is set.

Three positions is the way to go, so you can drop the boom into the gallows on either tack. It’s well clear of the cockpit under all circumstances.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:11   #68

Boat: Adams 28, 8.7m

I have an Adams 28 to which I fitted a boom gallows about 28 years ago. All my ofshore sailing up until then had been as crew on older boats with Gallows. My Gallows is mounted over the wheel pedestal on the cockpit coamings. It is above my head and gives sturdy support when at the wheel in rough conditions. In light conditions, or when motoring I stand on a cockpit seat, rest my chin on my folded arms resting on the Gallows and steer with a foot. A very comfortable way to mooch along. Three scoops in the timber facing of the Gallows position the boom where it is suitable. No topping lift, but a Barton Boom Strut and vang for control. When entering the cockpit from the side decks forward the Gallows give a solid hand hold. Each to his own, but I would not own a vessel with no Boom Gallows. Too usefull !!
Patrigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:22   #69

I agree. I think those of us who are used to having a gallows, like it, and those who haven’t had one don’t see the point of it. The modern manner is to have lazyjacks and a rigid strut, but I want my “belt and braces”😉.