Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2012, 08:57   #16

Re: Blisters - fix or wait?

Another recommendation: before getting involved with another boat get yourself a copy of this:

Amazon.com: Inspecting the Aging Sailboat (The International Marine Sailboat Library) (0639785803447): Don Casey: Books

Doing your own mini survey before hiring a surveyor will help you identify boats to pursue seriously. And if you really plan to own a sailboat, Casey has another very large volume that covers everything and covers it well. It includes the smaller book linked above.

http://www.amazon.com/Caseys-Complet...867&sr=1-1
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:29   #17

Boat: Rafiki 35
Looks like the boat has both issues, bilge water in the encapsulated keel, and half dollar sized blisters...

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1434016273.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	41322
Deepdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:44   #18

Yeah.... I was wondering about the ballast issue too. Iron punchings in cement maybe? those are huge. If they are truly only in the bottom of the keel like it appears I suppose you could drain the area with drilled holes and reglass some thick glass on the bottom foot or so of the keel. Kind of a a jury rig fix but might last for years. Those old Cheoy Lees are not very well built boats although they tug on the heart strings for sure. Alot of chopper gun glass, cheap rotting plywood, little pieces of wood jammed in places to support things.... heck for coastal cruising they could be fun though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 09:46   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepdraft View Post
Looks like the boat has both issues, bilge water in the encapsulated keel, and half dollar sized blisters...

Attachment 41322
oops , just saw this... You better run fast... and fire that lousy surveyor....

"Right, I can see there are attachment points holding the rudder to the hull below the prop aperture, and I am very familiar with gudgeons and pintles. My concern is that there is so little attachment between the rudder body and the rudder post, which is the only thing that actually moves the rudder. I think it is a design weakness and I have never seen that in an offshore cruiser before. "
Yeah, this rudder looks pretty iffy for sure. Those rudders with the prop aperture cut into the rudder have real heavy helms too... I had one like that but the rudder stock went into the rudder maybe a foot before the aperture.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 20:10   #20

I am told this is not a structural issue. So what happens if I leave them as is, just get yearly bottom paint? The boat will be in northern latitudes, cold saltwater. Thanks.
Old 21-05-2012, 20:23   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
I am told this is not a structural issue. So what happens if I leave them as is, just get yearly bottom paint? The boat will be in northern latitudes, cold saltwater. Thanks.
How old are you? They may out live you.
Old 21-05-2012, 20:25   #22

there are a lot of good deals out there in this market. Why waste time on such a project? Are they giving this boat away? If not, move on.
shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 06:43   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i bought 2 boats with blisters--one had huge tunnelled ones at the turn of the hull to keel--i repaired those and left the rest, the other i fixed the blisters individually after keeping it on the hard for 1 1/2 months. there isnt a problem doing it either way. \
as for the rudder-- that set up is found in many cruising boats-- should outlive most of the posters on this forum.if the rudder moves smoothly, is no big deal. isnt a spade, so is good. spade rudders are not attached as well as is this one. if you LOVE the boat, there is no point in arguing or passing--is your choice and should be a decent one for sailing long passages.
i would love to see pix of the rest of the boat...cheoy lees are rockin good sailors and do a most excellent job at sea.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 07:06   #24

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind

PUT ON YOUR NIKES AND RUN!!!!
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 08:18   #25
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

Surveyors and brokers love to say things like "its not a structural issue" and "never seen a boat sink from blisters". The truth is that a polyester laminate is not as resistant to seawater as you have been lead to believe. Hydrolysis is just a fancy way of saying that raw fiberglass "rots" when exposed to seawater for long enough. Search this forum and others and you will find eye opening photo evidence. I have seen cases so severe that you could peel the layers of laminate off the hull with your bare hands down to about a 1/4" deep. On a 3/4" glass hull, that's a big deal. This boat may not be at that stage yet, but if it is not repaired it will get there eventually. Sometimes blisters are just cosmetic, ie gelcoat only blisters on a vinylester layup. That is the exception not the rule though. And its certainly not the case here. IME it takes pretty severe saturation over a long period of neglect to develop blisters the size of those pictured here. A big job which must be done if this boat is to have any longevity.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 12:14   #26

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Thanks to all who replied, I guess I found the deal breaker. Its too bad as I really liked boat, but the repair costs are just too high.
Don't feel too bad...When you find the right boat, you can sit in the cockpit telling stories of that CL that you're glad you did not buy.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 08:51   #27

Well... Looks like the right boat HAS come along, a Rafiki 35, in way better shape. The survey is in 2 days, so barring any surprises, I should be sailing this sometime next weekend.
Old 13-06-2012, 09:06   #28

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Well... Looks like the right boat HAS come along, a Rafiki 35, in way better shape. The survey is in 2 days, so barring any surprises, I should be sailing this sometime next weekend.
Congrats. I have no direct experience with the Rafiki 35, but if they follow the same pedigree as the 37s, you'll have a great boat.

Tags
blisters