Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 07:28   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Best reverse cycle heat / airconditioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAINRONBVI View Post
Instead of going reverse cycle heat which adds extra parts, pumps + costs into the system, consider FLAGSHIP MARINE out of Florida.

their units are traditional AC with Electric Heat. The units are pretty much bullet proof. read their articles on the website as well. you'll gain some good insight.

www.flagshipmarine.com

speak with Chris Treppler. he was most helpful when i ordered 2 units for my Beneteau 50. a 9k BTU/1.7 kw electric heat unit for my forward cabin and crews quarters plus a 16k BTU/2.0 kw electric heat unit for the 2 aft cabins and saloon. Chris will answer all your questions and advise you properly.

Chris Treppler
Flagship Marine
772-283-1609 p.
772-283-4611 f.

cjt@flagshipmarine.com

good luck!

Captain Ron
+! superb product, excellent customer service. Sold by boat last year with a 20 year olf Flagship unit, still running flawlessly, Just put one in my new boat.
Old 20-04-2016, 08:01   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Cruiseair 16,000 BTU in my salon is about dead, thermostat won't put it in heat mode, still cools well, but pan is full of rust, thing is just old. Rather than to buy another thermostat I think it's time to retire the thing, Lord knows how old it is.
Last year I put a Webasto FCF 5,000 BTU in the fwd Stateroom and have been very happy with it 0 problems, but before I pull the trigger on a 16,000 BTU Webasto for the Salon, I thought I'd ask if there is a better unit than the Webasto.

I'd love one that the fan would turn off when the temp set point was reached.
I have a 16K Webasto that has been very good-- however the remote has a design fault in it when trying to use the AUTO function--so I just use only the wall thermostat control.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2016, 23:37   #48

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

Have three Webasto units on my boat. Boat manuf did not install per Webasto specs but a Webasto service center fixed all the issues. Run great now. Seem like small throw away units and seems like the service center treats them that way. But they claim very little goes wrong with them. All good so far.
Old 22-10-2016, 06:06   #49

Boat: Jeanneau 349 2015

I am pursui ng a quote from Flagship based on comments in this thread and my own research.
RKsailsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:12   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKsailsolo View Post
A64, what do you think of MarineAir?

My old one was a MarineAir, good units, but not the best in my opinion and not really any better than a Webasto, which i too consider a throwaway unit, but I expect it to be years before I throw it away.
My MarineAir was still working when I removed it, but the thermostat had gone out again, and the last time it was very hard to find, and I paid way more than I should have for such a simple part.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:35   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
My old one was a MarineAir, good units, but not the best in my opinion and not really any better than a Webasto, which i too consider a throwaway unit, but I expect it to be years before I throw it away.
My MarineAir was still working when I removed it, but the thermostat had gone out again, and the last time it was very hard to find, and I paid way more than I should have for such a simple part.
I had an extra 220v FCF16k in the car In woulda let go for a G... $50 3kw step mighta made it attractive???

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 06:58   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Best reverse cycle heat / airconditioner

I've had the Webasto's for two years maybe? Started out I bought one 5 K on sale from Defender and mounted it under our bunk in the fwd stateroom with the idea that a Honda 2000 could run it in eco mode.
I liked it so well that I bought a replacement 16K from Hopcar for the Salon.
The little 5 K is phenomenal, even being directly underneath me when I'm sleeping, you feel no vibration at all, and hear no noise at all, only sound is air from the registers.

While I'm still working I'm Rich so to speak and am spending money in the hope that when we go next Spring that I won't have to spend money when we will be poor

Just ordered a Sailrite LZ1 last night when I saw they had a sale on for instance.
Now neither one of us have any idea at all what to do with a sewing machine really, but The Army proved that I am trainable.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote