Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2015, 10:00   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Best Glue for Toe Rail Teak Plugs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
NO GLUE. Teak plugs don't need glue.
You ain't never seen the holes in my toe rail. I would need to go up to 5/8 from 1/2" to get clean edges on the holes.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:23   #17

Just FYI...

If you have 30 year old screws through teak, there's a good chance they are now corroded in a funnel shape and structurally simply gone. If you have pulled the plugs you should extract the screws and spot inspect. If badly corroded, whoever grabs the handrail with a hefty pull is going overboard with a piece of teak in hand. The condition of the teak around the base on deck is often a good indicator of the condition of its mounting points.

Salt water has chlorides. These are particularly nasty to stainless steel. See article link:

Article: Corrosion mechanisms in stainless steel
dbeausoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:25   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
You ain't never seen the holes in my toe rail. I would need to go up to 5/8 from 1/2" to get clean edges on the holes.
Ah yes, that's a problem! Probably epoxy I suppose as you need some filling characteristics. Epoxy doesn't have great UV protection though. But little is exposed in your situation.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:17   #19
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

G5 from WEST. It's clear, so no ring around the rosy. 5 minute cure time means you can start shaving bungs right away. Only need a small amount.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:27   #20

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I won't be finishing the toe rail with varnish, it will be allowed to go grey and look natural. Seems like if I use the varnish method, I'll see a ring around each plug.
Curios on your decision to let the cap rail go grey. That's the way ours are now, but not sure they should be left that way. No problems with plugs or screws at the moment. The neighbor next to us in the Bristol in this shot is clearly varnished up and looking nautical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00238.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	108296  
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:46   #21
cruiser

The reason for allowing all the exterior teak to grey, is that I try to minimize my annual workload on the boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:53   #22

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The reason for allowing all the exterior teak to grey, is that I try to minimize my annual workload on the boat.

Yeah, I get that....but is there a downside to the life of the teak itself?

I get a comment from almost everyone I meet about ours. Like, great, when are you going to sand and varnish it, to great, leave it alone, to uh oh, that's not good, I wouldn't leave it that way for too long

I also like it the way it is, we put a canvas cover on it over the winter stretch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0247.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	410.6 KB
ID:	108304  
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:21   #23

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Use WEST epoxy.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 13:06   #24

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

Quote:
NO GLUE. Teak plugs don't need glue.
Yes, in theory you are correct, if deep enough and tight enough you don't need glue/epoxy or whatever. It is good though to apply something to the screw threads in case the plug fails.
Old 02-09-2015, 13:12   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bletso View Post
Yes, in theory you are correct, if deep enough and tight enough you don't need glue/epoxy or whatever. It is good though to apply something to the screw threads in case the plug fails.
I had to use glue on mine also because the hole was rather shallow and not as tight as it once was. In a perfect world with a nice, new, deep hole to pound the plug into no glue would be necessary. But once a plug has been removed from the hole and especially if it is shallow from much sanding, glue is about the only way to get the plugs to even be well set in enough to trim them off.
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 13:26   #26

A few hundred or more were replaced on my teak decks. They were 5/16 plugs and some of them were drilled and replaced with 3/8. No glue was used. But we replaced the screw and redrilled the plug holes when we did it. All screws were coated with caulk when put in. But the shipwright I employed knew how to get the old plugs out without damaging the holes (in most cases) also.
I assume Bletso means if you don't glues your plugs you need to seal the screws. I wouldn't rely on plugs to not leak at all personally. I just assume they will and seal the screws.

Old 02-09-2015, 14:42   #27

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson38 View Post
Yeah, I get that....but is there a downside to the life of the teak itself?
It's better left that way. The gray protects the underlying wood. Washing the deck with anything else but with a water hose is the enemy of teak..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 14:56   #28

What to do with teak is hard decision for sure. Just left out in the weather unprotected here in the PNW and eventually the rain will deplete the softer wood and the teak will get "groovy". Add to that the tendency for joints to open up a bit and it's not great.
OTOH, varnishing etc is a lot of work. and up here the rain will remove about 3 coats of varnish in a winter, so you better have more than 3 coats on there.
The nicest bare teak I've seem has been people who often douse it with salt water and occasionally rub it with flat scotchbrite pad etc. It stays smooth , grey with a hint of brown and doesn't gouge out the softer wood that way like a brush will.

Old 02-09-2015, 18:05   #29

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

If deck (or toe rail) screw plugs are not glued, water may be allowed to enter and corrode the fastener, especially once they are worn thin, eventually even damaging the core. But they're a real bitch to remove if you epoxy them. Fit is important.

On woodwork that will be varnished, it may be sufficient to dry plug, particularly on interior wood.

I generally epoxy them in (doesn't take much). Then knock them down with a chisel after the epoxy goes off.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 18:05   #30

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:
What to do with teak is hard decision for sure. Just left out in the weather unprotected here in the PNW and eventually the rain will deplete the softer wood and the teak will get "groovy". Add to that the tendency for joints to open up a bit and it's not great.
OTOH, varnishing etc is a lot of work. and up here the rain will remove about 3 coats of varnish in a winter, so you better have more than 3 coats on there.
The nicest bare teak I've seem has been people who often douse it with salt water and occasionally rub it with flat scotchbrite pad etc. It stays smooth , grey with a hint of brown and doesn't gouge out the softer wood that way like a brush will.
It's the same here where we are in the Chesapeake. And I don't know if cleaning it makes it better or worse. If you don't clean it, it just turns black and looks horrible, or gets green and mildew, like boats you see that haven't been cared for. If you do keep it clean, the scrubbing will remove that soft pulp in the wood and leave raised ridges. Then if you do decide to do something with jt and you want it smooth to varnish you have to sand away so much wood that your bungs fall out.

As I have mentioned in another thread we have a combination of neglected wood and damaged wood that is so far gone that by the time we get done repairing and filling it we are just going to paint it and be done with it. To my eye there is nothing more beautiful than varnished teak, but maybe in the end I will learn to appreciate the decreased maintenance of painted wood.

Tags
teak, plug