Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2017, 05:34   #181

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Re: Barnacle removal without scraping

Picked up a pamphlet at the FL DMV while renewing my registration a few days ago.

A USCG pamphlet of boating regulations and info for Florida. For open water discharge of holding tanks it lists two regs. A federal that says three miles, and a state reg that says twelve miles.

News to me, never heard that before.

Edit to add, well, looking at the pamphlet now. Can't find what I stated above. In my memory it was in red print as a seperate paragraph. Can't find it now. Strange. Maybe it was in another pamphlet I read at the DMV, or maybe I'm totally daft.
Old 10-03-2017, 06:50   #182

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sav View Post
Idiot greenies... the original article exagerated slightly, claiming that Billions of Tons of sewrage was dumped, THEN they changed it to billions of Gallons... could it be really billions of quarts?
Or is it billions of floating turds?
How many "Billion" people actually are floating around at sea?
How do you calculate the volume? Is it just the displaced volume or the weight of the actual turd or the combined volume or weight of turd and flushing water?
RaymondR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 23:08   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
Bob, what type of Oxymav are you talking about? I can see Oxymav B with composition Oxytetracycline hydrochloride 10 g/kg and Oxymav 100 Powder with Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride 100g/kg. I guess, Oxymav 100 is the proper one? Or you are talikng about pure Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride?
hi sea frog
did u try Oxytetracycline Hydrochloride on yr boat and what is the result

tq \tay
pohchyetay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 21:02   #184

Boat: 74 Tartan 34

I had my boat hauled 3 weeks ago. It was covered with barnacles. I sprayed 2 gallons of Mauriac acid on the bottom, and the barnacles. Then I spent 6 hours pressure washing. Filled the gas tank 5 times. It took off about half the critters. I think the ones with a calcium deficiency went first.

Then I used a chisel pointed scraper and scraped by hand. It took 12 hours and now I have no barnacles.

No biggie. It seemed daunting at first.
lostsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 19:48   #185

been cleaning hulls in so cal for 10 years. finally went out on my own. as i never had to buy supplies, the company did, i finally have my setup all decked out besides my hose, i have some old ratty one. I've used multiple diff ones with the company some floated, sank, kinked. i love the ones where the excess line sinks so it doesn't tangle up around the rudders and props when you have to go around the waterline. can anyone tell me what material hoses sink and float?
hock93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:30   #186

Off Topic Question for Hookah Pros

Building my own hookah rig with an electric Hailea oil-less compressor, that I finally found after months of searching out here in SE Asia. The compressor supplies plenty of pressure but when I attach the 2nd stage of my old Aquarius regulator, I have to suck hard to get enough air. And, when I am not breathing in through the regulator, air actually flows in reverse, out of the compressor's intake.

If I hit the purge valve, the problem is solved, and I can breathe normally through the regulator, with air flowing smoothly from the compressor's intake, through the pump and through the regulator.

Anybody know why this happens and how to fix it? Main idea is to add an air holding tank, but I have heard that it is also possible to adjust the spring in the regulator to allow freer air flow.

All well intentioned responses greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:39   #187
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Off Topic Question for Hookah Pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
Building my own hookah rig with an electric Hailea oil-less compressor, that I finally found after months of searching out here in SE Asia. The compressor supplies plenty of pressure but when I attach the 2nd stage of my old Aquarius regulator, I have to suck hard to get enough air. And, when I am not breathing in through the regulator, air actually flows in reverse, out of the compressor's intake.

If I hit the purge valve, the problem is solved, and I can breathe normally through the regulator, with air flowing smoothly from the compressor's intake, through the pump and through the regulator.

Anybody know why this happens and how to fix it? Main idea is to add an air holding tank, but I have heard that it is also possible to adjust the spring in the regulator to allow freer air flow.

All well intentioned responses greatly appreciated.

Best regards,

G2L
There are only two possibilities:

1.- The compressor output is too low

2.- The 2nd stage regulator is not set up to work properly with your compressor's output

I suspect the latter and would encourage you to buy a 2nd stage that is designed to work with a hookah's lower (than a SCUBA tank) PSI. In any event, an accumulator tank is not going to remedy the problem and is unnecessary in any case.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:55   #188
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Barnacle removal without scraping

Usually if you take off the hose that connects to the second stage and look inside you will see a plastic piece that you can turn with a screwdriver. Turn it anti clockwise maybe a 1/4 turn, hook up hose and check. You have it too loose when air will slowly begin to free flow. Too tight and it's tough to breathe
I bought an XS Scuba hooka reg, thing didn't flow at all, piece of Junk. Tossed it in the trash and adjusted one of my Dive Rites for lower pressure.
Of course your reg could be broken too.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:46   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
There are only two possibilities:

1.- The compressor output is too low

2.- The 2nd stage regulator is not set up to work properly with your compressor's output

I suspect the latter and would encourage you to buy a 2nd stage that is designed to work with a hookah's lower (than a SCUBA tank) PSI. In any event, an accumulator tank is not going to remedy the problem and is unnecessary in any case.
Thanks for your comments on the probably cause and the usefulness or not of a tank. I probably would pick up another regulator if I could, but I was lucky just to find the compressor out here.

Also, what do you think of A64's comment below on adjusting my 2nd stage. It's a late seventies vintage Aquarius; think it is adjustable? Got a parts diagram hidden somewhere, but couldn't find it lately.

Thanks again for the reply,

G2L
Old 08-04-2017, 08:47   #190

PS - Re: Off Topic Question for Hookah Pros

PS - Think one of the guys on Vintage Double Hose posted the parts diagram about a year ago, when I started playing around with this idea. Will take a look. - G2L
Old 08-04-2017, 08:50   #191
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone2long View Post
...what do you think of A64's comment below on adjusting my 2nd stage. It's a late seventies vintage Aquarius; think it is adjustable?
I'd be surprised, but you never know.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:52   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Usually if you take off the hose that connects to the second stage and look inside you will see a plastic piece that you can turn with a screwdriver. Turn it anti clockwise maybe a 1/4 turn, hook up hose and check. You have it too loose when air will slowly begin to free flow. Too tight and it's tough to breathe
I bought an XS Scuba hooka reg, thing didn't flow at all, piece of Junk. Tossed it in the trash and adjusted one of my Dive Rites for lower pressure.
Of course your reg could be broken too.
Thanks for your suggestion. My regulator is a late seventies vintage Aquarius; which may not be adjustable. Got a parts diagram hidden somewhere, so I will check that out before I take it apart.

Would be great if I could fix the problem with a simple adjustment.

Thanks again,

G2L
Old 08-04-2017, 09:13   #193

Boat: Cooper 37

For using a pressure washer in a boat or with diving gear, fasten a rope to what ever on the boat and drape the end over the side where your working. You have to hang on to the roper while you wash to avoid "jet effect".
Jaguar2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:50   #194
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Barnacle removal without scraping

I've never seen one that wasn't adjustable, even cheapies. Actually especially cheapies, without being able to adjust it, then you have to build it perfect.
Although late 70's I'd be real surprised if the rubber in it was good.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 13:13   #195

Boat: Carter offshore 35

I scrape but I use a dry wall putty knife, they are plastic you can get a pack of 3, each a different size for under $5. They won't damage anything but the barnacle.
DeborahLee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal