Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2020, 04:18   #1

Automatic bilge pump question

Hopefully in the right sub-forum and first of many questions. Took possession of our first boat (1985 Oday 28) yesterday. The automatic bilge pump has a paddle type float switch to engage the pump. In checking it seems to me that it is engaging the pump incorrectly. It sounds like it is engaging the pump with the paddle down (touching the bottom of the bilge area). If I lift the paddle switch all the way up it sounds like it turns the pump off. Ideas/suggestions?? Thx!
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 04:34   #2

Boat: 41' yawl
Re: Automatic bilge pump question

I got it! The boat’s upside down.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 04:38   #3

^ well that would explain the lack of light in here and breathing difficulties I’m having��.
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 04:42   #4

Boat: Mirage 35

You say it "sounds like" as if it may not be clear - any bilge pumps I've known make it very clear when they're running.

To be sure - and I'm not being facetious, I do this regularly - try a fail-safe test of the bilge pump: pour a bucket of water in the bilge and see if it disappears.

At that point you know if it's working properly or not. If the switch is actually upside-down as you think, well maybe it would be easiest to just replace it all with a new, known working, unit.
Old 28-08-2020, 04:50   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

If the float switch has failed, which they do with alarming frequency, consensus on the forum seems to be to "switch" to the water witch switch, as in

https://www.go2marine.com/Water-Witch-Bilge-Switch-101

Yeah, give it a reality test with a bucket of water.
Old 28-08-2020, 08:31   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

I have a 1985 O'Day 35. Same thing just happened to me. It's a bad float switch; easy to replace. It would run when the float was down and stop when raised. It worked correctly for years, so I just assume it was age and water getting into the switch and messing it up. I did just switch to sailing in salt water, so I wonder if that hastened the issue i.e. it was already going bad. Good thing you caught it before it puked your battery.
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 08:34   #7

Boat: C&C Landfall 43 and O'Day 35

tkeithlu - I just checked out that bilge switch link. Wish I had that before replacing my float switch. 3rd one in 10 years and I think the mechanical float cost more!
The Perfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 10:09   #8

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

I absolutely hate the paddle bilge switch!!! I can't believe we can't build a mechanical waterproof switch. How do we rest at night with a $20 bilge switch that will frequently fail?
I switched to the water witch switch a year ago. I was replacing bilge switches about once a year. If you are staying with the paddle switches, buy in bulk and make quick release mount and wire connectors. And pray a thru hull doesn't fail.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 10:36   #9

Boat: Swan 57

I've used Water Witch and Whale solid state switches. Water Witch suffered a strike of lightning and stopped functioning. Three whale has been just bad quality, not switching off, not letting enough current through etc. I can recommend Quick. Top quality https://www.quickusastore.com/boat-s...ilge-switches/
Hermia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 11:11   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

I favor the bilge pump switches without the moving parts like the "Water-witch"; however, there's another option that is my favorite. This is without any moving parts and with no electrical wires in the bilge. It's simply a plastic bell that receives the rising water and causes air to rise within a piece of Tygon tubing (aquarium tubing). The increased air pressure in the tubing engages an electrical contact switch that can be far above the bilge in a place of your choice. As I recall, it's made by Par. I had this reliable type switch in my bilge for more that 20 years without fail.

I see Jabsco makes one now. Look for pneumatic bilge pump switch.
Old 28-08-2020, 11:39   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

On the other hand, I can say from embarrassing experience that the Water Witch switch does not work in a rising tide of diesel fuel. Actually, I'm glad of it. Pumping out, filtering, and returning that diesel to the tanks was the lesser evil compared to it being pumped into the ICW.
Old 28-08-2020, 12:03   #12

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Okay, while we're on the subject, what's the consensus for best primary bilge pump to hook that pneumatic switch to? i.e, most reliable?
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 12:43   #13

Boat: Contessa 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermia II View Post
I've used Water Witch and Whale solid state switches. Water Witch suffered a strike of lightning and stopped functioning. Three whale has been just bad quality, not switching off, not letting enough current through etc. I can recommend Quick. Top quality https://www.quickusastore.com/boat-s...ilge-switches/
I’m guessing the Quick switch is also electronic. What’s protecting it against a lightning strike? Does it have protection circuit?
n5ama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 12:56   #14

ULTRA SWITCH ARE GREAT.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2020, 13:40   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

I favor the bilge pump switches without the moving parts like the "Water-witch"; however, there's another option that is my favorite. This is without any moving parts and with no electrical wires in the bilge. It's simply a plastic bell that receives the rising water and causes air to rise within a piece of Tygon tubing (aquarium tubing). The increased air pressure in the tubing engages an electrical contact switch that can be far above the bilge in a place of your choice. As I recall, it's made by Par. I had this reliable type switch in my bilge for more that 20 years without fail.

I see Jabsco makes one now. Look for pneumatic bilge pump switch.

+1

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump