Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2015, 16:58   #1

At What Age Should Keel Bolts Be Replaced?

I looking to buy a 36' to 42' sloop. One 1966 sloop (42' Spencer... there were 26 made) has bolt on keel. Looks very good and bone dry.

The '36 sloop is encased. fyi

Thoughts?

Rodger
Ramjet60s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:04   #2

Re: At What Age Should Keel Bolts Be Replaced?

Keel bolts are not normally replaced on a regular basis as a precautionary measure like, for instance, standing rigging might be. When the bolt shows signs of significant deterioration, that's when you replace it.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:03   #3

Boat: Columbia 36

If its an iron keel, the bolts are just tapped into the iron and are relatively easy to remove. You can pull them one at a time to check their condition, even in the water. If the exposed tops in the bilge are not rusty, there's no water weeping in or out, and no large crack visible between the keel and hull, there's no real need to do anything but check the tightness with a torque wrench. If the keel is lead, they are probably J bolts cast into the lead and not removable. You would have to drop the keel to check them. Once again, of there's no sign of leakage and the tops look good, no need to do anything but torque the nuts. If they break off when you do that, then you know they're bad. They can be sistered, but that's a pretty big job.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Depending on the material of the bolts (galvanized steel, bronze, stainless steel or monel) and how they have been cared for, the life span of most keel attachments ranges from 15 years (Galv Steel), to up to 50 Years (Stainless Steel / Monel) to the life of the boat (Bronze).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 07:29   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Only part you can inspect visually is the part that doesn't matter. I'd have to inspect them, which of course may well mean removing the keel. So I'd figure on cost of dropping keel into purchase price, unless they are bronze or monel. never seen either, but then I've only seen a few.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:29   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 456 Carisma 1984
Send a message via Skype™ to sotavento

I have changed bolts on my First456 becouse thy where worn (rust) on heads. Inside they where perfect. So only change if heads are gone!.
sotavento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:48   #7

As you look at the bolts from the bilge, if you just see bolt heads with no threaded studs sticking out, they would have to be tapped onto the iron keel and easily pulled to inspect or replace. If they are nuts on threaded studs, they might be J bolts cast into a lead keel and not removable. That would require dropping the keel if you wanted to inspect them. My Columbia 36 has hanger bolts screwed into an extra hard lead keel so they are removable, but most lead keels have J bolts.
Encapsulated keels have issues too. Any damage to the fiberglass keel from grounding or water seeping in from the bilge will cause the usually iron ballast to rust and expand, and that's really, really bad.
Old 24-11-2015, 08:55   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24

If it ain't broke don't fix it situation. If all appears sound, no rust, no cracking or other evidence then messing with it can introduce a problem where there was none.
Just IMHO based on oldness.
Xthewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 08:59   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xthewater View Post
If it ain't broke don't fix it situation. If all appears sound, no rust, no cracking or other evidence then messing with it can introduce a problem where there was none.
Just IMHO based on oldness.
I agree. Mine were leaking so I had to change them. I found the forward one where the leak was rusted to dust. The rest were rusty on top but very good below that. I'm replacing them all.
Old 24-11-2015, 09:20   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 456 Carisma 1984
Send a message via Skype™ to sotavento

capt jgw, I agree with all you said, my poit is, if heads are OK threads will be good (to my experience) and there is no need to chage them
sotavento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 09:26   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotavento View Post
capt jgw, I agree with all you said, my poit is, if heads are OK threads will be good (to my experience) and there is no need to chage them
It's the spot between the fiberglass and the lead that's vulnerable. You can't see that from the bilge. The bolt on mine that rusted away didn't look any worse than the rest, but pulled right out when I put the wrench to it. It was wasted completely away at the interface, and that was not evident until I pulled it out.
Old 24-11-2015, 12:40   #12

Send a message via AIM to cradlemountain

Please, what dose 'sistered' mean?
cradlemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradlemountain View Post
Please, what dose 'sistered' mean?
Another bolt set in beside the original. Originally meant reinforcing a broken frame by installing another one alongside.
Old 24-11-2015, 14:55   #14

Boat: Union cutter 33

Our catalina 34 is a 1991 after hearing about bad keel bolts we had our keel removed and keel bolts inspected they were as good as new so after reebbing keel cost was 2700 dollars thats a lot for nothing that needed to be done boat has always been in freshwater so maybe that may have come into play its plain and simple if boat has been properly maintain d u shouldn.t have a issue.
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 14:58   #15

For a cruising boat, keel bolts should be replaced at the design stage, before building.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, keel bolts