Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 18:10   #1

Boat: Carter Concubine 33ft (10m)
Anybody know a Harbour around Zeeland with drying out facilities?

I had my boat out last year and put at least 3 coats of anti-foul on the bottom so I'm sure just a scrub down is all that is needed this year. I am reluctant to pay the exorbitant crane fees around here and they won't allow me to do a 'scrub down in slings' for cheaper. Plus, I'm planning on having the mast out before the spring which will cost a fair chunk itself.

I'm having trouble finding a marina with these facilities in Holland, my dutch isn't the best and many of the words we use won't directly translate into dutch for my internet search (drying out piles??).

So, does anybody happen to know anywhere around the Oosterschelde/ Westerchelde?

Any help greatly appreciated
dtlx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:54   #2

Boat: Carter Concubine 33ft (10m)
Re: Anybody know a Harbour around Zeeland with drying out facilities?

Just to answer my own question and help any future google searches I asked a local guy and it would appear that the Royal Yacht Club at Ostend has special drying out facilities to starboard as you enter behind the clubhouse. It has purpose built wooden blocks.

On the Oosterschelde itself there is somewhere at t'Sas of Zierikzee and possibly something at Stavenisse.
dtlx11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 03:30   #3

why don `t you do it like local fishermen? Use tide low water, fix the boat at a wall f.i. on a slip and scrubb one side. At next low water the other..
so did it a friend too. Cheap 'n easy
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 04:16   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellus View Post
why don `t you do it like local fishermen? Use tide low water, fix the boat at a wall f.i. on a slip and scrubb one side. At next low water the other..
so did it a friend too. Cheap 'n easy
...you can use stanchions for the mudflat too - very helpful even in some french harbors where it are mandatory
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 13:49   #5

Let me know where you planning to land in NZ and I will check it our for you.
There are plenty of places you can dry out with no real problems however we are very much enviromentally aware in NZ, so this needs to be done in the right places.
We live in Auckland and use Pine Harbour Marina for our yacht Red Viking.
There is a travel lift and scrub down facility which is a reasonable cost.Great friendly staff and easy access. Cost depends on the size of your vessel but it is certainly affordable.
We usually just go over the side with a mask and snorkel and clean it ourselves no problem.
Keep in touch.
Regards
Chris
Chris Shirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 15:25   #6

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski69sail View Post
Hi There.

The cheapest option I have found in NZ has turned out to be Westport on the Westcoast of the south island. It is a real steel/fishing town and has the knowledge and services to support the local fishing fleet. It is about 36hrs motoring from Nelson Harbour. You need to cross the bar so you will have to pick your weather window. The harbor master was very helpful.

There are two private cradles owned by the local fishing co-op operated by a father and son operation. They can handle up to 50 tone vessel. You can stay on the yacht while it is in the harbour with shore power/water and also stay on the boat while on the hardstand. Town is walking distance. I used Diverse Engineering Westport for all my work. Sandblasting was also available at a very keen price. There is large hire centre in town. There is also cheap diesel from a local company.

Yes , very happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shirley View Post
Let me know where you planning to land in NZ and I will check it our for you.
There are plenty of places you can dry out with no real problems however we are very much enviromentally aware in NZ, so this needs to be done in the right places.
We live in Auckland and use Pine Harbour Marina for our yacht Red Viking.
There is a travel lift and scrub down facility which is a reasonable cost.Great friendly staff and easy access. Cost depends on the size of your vessel but it is certainly affordable.
We usually just go over the side with a mask and snorkel and clean it ourselves no problem.
Keep in touch.
Regards
Chris

Zeeland (/ˈziːlənd/; Dutch pronunciation: [ˈzeːlɑnt] ( ), Zeelandic: Zeêland [ˈzɪə̯lɑnt]), also called Zealand in English, is the westernmost province of the Netherlands. The province, located in the south-west of the country, consists of a number of islands (hence its name, meaning "sea-land") and a strip bordering Belgium. Its capital is Middelburg. Its area is about 2,930 km², of which almost 1,140 km² is water, and holds a population of about 380,000.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote