Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2021, 05:31   #1

Antifouling and then left on the hard

Hi all,

The bavaria 40 I am buying has been antifouled (seajet) and is ready to go back in the water.

However it turns out I have paid for the whole month on the hard due to some creative pricing tiers in the marina.

The handyman previously said he wouldn't anti foul it until the day before dropping as its no good to leave it on the hard after its anti fouled.

Now that the marina is paid, he is suggesting to leave it in the marina and that he will do a thin coat on it at the end, free of charge. I assume this is as the owner discovered its paid, and wants to stop paying the costs in the town quay whilst we try and complete the paperwork.

Should I go with this? Or is it much better off dropped back in the water? When I googled it seemed anti foul would be fine out the water for a few weeks, but he was adamant against leaving it to dry for even a couple of days beforehand.

Any advice would be great.

Ta
colombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 05:39   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Antifouling and then left on the hard

Since there are several types of Seajet antifoul paint you should really read the paint instructions. However, I would be astonished if a few weeks makes any difference.

https://www.seajetpaint.com/en

Not bad paint if its the 33 variant

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 07:40   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

As a rule of thumb ablative paints can withstand prolonged exposure to air. Hard paints cannot. Your situation is completely dependent upon the type of anti fouling paint used on your boat. If it is a hard paint and has been out of the water for more than a few days, you're already screwed.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2021, 16:07   #4

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Of Course I agree with fstbttms

I'm using Altex No 5

Dry Times (75μm DFT / 25ºC / 50% RH):
Recoat Minimum:6 hours

Maximum:Not critical To Launch:
Minimum:12 hours

Maximum:Not critical

**May be applied over AY&B Epoxy Primer up to 48 hours after application

** Extended non-immersed exposures may cause oxidation and/or discolouration with potential consequent loss of effectiveness in antifoulingAdditional preparation may be required before relaunching
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 03:14   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

The Kirby's ablative I put on yesterday says two coats whenever, then a final coat ONE HOUR before launch. Yikes.
The hard paint I use on my other boat says it likes a seven-day dry time and can be left out for months on end. It's far more expensive.
Old 15-04-2021, 16:26   #6

Boat: 2012 Seaward 32 RK

Agree with FSTBTTMS.

We have Petit Vivid which is a "hard ablative" best of both worlds and works well even in Ft. Myers, FL.
mjgill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2021, 18:49   #7
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Agree with FSTBTTMS.

We have Petit Vivid which is a "hard ablative" best of both worlds and works well even in Ft. Myers, FL.
We may agree on some things but Vivid isn't one of them.
Old 16-04-2021, 03:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
We may agree on some things but Vivid isn't one of them.
Oh Crap! What's wrong with Vivid? I just spent $275/gallon on it and put two coats on the main surfaces with three coats on the leading edge of the keel and water line. Took 2 gallons.

I called around before deciding on Vivid and it seems that the paint manufactures test their paints in Ft. Myers. If they can do well there, supposedly they can do well anywhere. Our cruising area will be FL. and eventually Bahamas.
Old 16-04-2021, 04:56   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Pettit Vivid is arguably the softest anti fouling paint available in the U.S. and it does not stand up well to regular cleaning, which you of course will have to do. I hope you don’t mind hauling annually, because you’re gonna need new paint again next year.
Old 16-04-2021, 07:05   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Pettit Vivid is arguably the softest anti fouling paint available in the U.S. and it does not stand up well to regular cleaning, which you of course will have to do. I hope you don’t mind hauling annually, because you’re gonna need new paint again next year.
Well, as you can see in our description we have a Seaward 32RK, and it is trailerable. It sits on the hard (trailer) for extended periods of time because we have harsh winters here and the Corps of engineers mandates boats be removed in the off season. Our plans are to trailer it to FL and coastal cruise for now, eventually going to the Bahamas. I was led to believe that if you used hard paint and it was out of the water for any period of time, it would have to be sanded to reactivate the biocides. Straight ablative paint is too soft. I looked at Magic Antifouling but they are having problems getting EPA approval for use in the U.S. thus far. Is there another option that would be superior based on those facts and your experience with cleaning bottoms? Thanks,
Old 16-04-2021, 07:18   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjgill1 View Post
Well, as you can see in our description we have a Seaward 32RK, and it is trailerable. It sits on the hard (trailer) for extended periods of time because we have harsh winters here and the Corps of engineers mandates boats be removed in the off season. Our plans are to trailer it to FL and coastal cruise for now, eventually going to the Bahamas. I was led to believe that if you used hard paint and it was out of the water for any period of time, it would have to be sanded to reactivate the biocides. Straight ablative paint is too soft. I looked at Magic Antifouling but they are having problems getting EPA approval for use in the U.S. thus far. Is there another option that would be superior based on those facts and your experience with cleaning bottoms? Thanks,
A trailerable is a different story, I suppose. You pretty much have to use an ablative. I don't know that Vivid is the one I'd choose, but then again, I don't deal with too many trailerable boats in my line of work.

Tags
on the hard