Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2017, 15:26   #1

another gelcoat question - how thick ding before filler?

Hi all - so im working on someones boat who ran into the dock and damaged the gelcoat - at least its high up above water line and the boat is dry docked.

I bought some marine filler, and I found the Regal gelcoat kit online with the factory cover (this is a 2008 / very little use / stored under cover so fade wd be very minimal imo).

The largest gap is about 1.4" at most.. id say the thickest part is about 1.3mm give or take..

Is this too big for a gelcoat only repair? My thoughts were if i fill it and sand it down perfectly that the gelcoat wont have anywhere to stick so to speak, unless i fill only a bit of the gap and rest with gelcoat?

Yes I still have to prep the area -

thanks!
fstarocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2017, 20:33   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: another gelcoat question - how thick ding b4 filler?

Sorry to say but the picture looks like there is some actual damage to the fiberglass not just the gelcoat.
Inspect the interior in the damaged area checking for structural issues . Post more pictures of everything.
Old 16-08-2017, 23:19   #3

hi - the hull is very solid - I think the pic looks worse than it really is. There is no deformation at all in the hull / shape - it just blistered a little, I picked of 2 tiny pieces of gelcoat that flaked, their total max side is about 5mm, and 2-3mm long..

Anyway thanks for that - since ill prob be going with initial diagnosis, ona thin repair of 1.3mm, do u use filler at all or 2 coats of gelcoat, or do you leave a little room after filler for the gelcoat? thats primarily what im trying to figure out here..

Edit: I realize I made a typo, not 1.4" but 1.4mm! sorry - its quite tiny actually, pic is just a close up
Old 17-08-2017, 06:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarocka View Post
hi - the hull is very solid - I think the pic looks worse than it really is. There is no deformation at all in the hull / shape - it just blistered a little, I picked of 2 tiny pieces of gelcoat that flaked, their total max side is about 5mm, and 2-3mm long..

Anyway thanks for that - since ill prob be going with initial diagnosis, ona thin repair of 1.3mm, do u use filler at all or 2 coats of gelcoat, or do you leave a little room after filler for the gelcoat? thats primarily what im trying to figure out here..

Edit: I realize I made a typo, not 1.4" but 1.4mm! sorry - its quite tiny actually, pic is just a close up
Ok well the typo does make a difference. In that case I would recommend that you use gelcoat paste.
Similar to this https://www.westmarine.com/buy/everc...r-kit--1934454
Old 17-08-2017, 06:32   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

First you will have to grind out anything that is loose or delaminated. Any part of the damage that has the potential to move, even the slightest, can ruin your repair.

Use filler gelcoat and then use a finish gelcoat like this guy does....

Sometimes a picture (or a video) is worth a thousand words.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:40   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

There is that odd line below the gelco scratch that seems to suggest you want to check for a shell crack too.

I do not prime gelco repairs, just clean and wipe with acetone, dry and go with gelco. But this color can be difficult to match. Check if original gelco can be had from this same boat company.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 06:56   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

barnakiel is right, pay more and get your gelcoat from the manufacturer if they have it. There are about a million shades of white.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 09:35   #8

Yes I have the original gelcoat from manufactoring company. But it's arriving in over a week. Was just curious if I could patch up the groove with filler so boat can go out and finish off with gelcoat.. Yes will grind cracks etc.. Or tape it with clear 3m since it's way high up and only gc it..
Old 17-08-2017, 09:46   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes I have the original gelcoat from manufactoring company. But it's arriving in over a week. Was just curious if I could patch up the groove with filler so boat can go out and finish off with gelcoat.. Yes will grind cracks etc.. Or tape it with clear 3m since it's way high up and only gc it..
As long as the damage is only cosmetic it wont hinder the vessel usage for a week. Dont do a temp repair if at all possible.
If you dont have the time to do it right the first time when will you have the time to redo it right the second time.
Old 17-08-2017, 09:50   #10

Yip I get it..so do you suggest using filler now, and remove it a little when gc comes? That just seems like double the work and resulting in a larger repair area possibly.

Maybe I'll tape it up till factory gc arrives..
Old 17-08-2017, 11:21   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Hi all - so im working on someones boat who ran into the dock and damaged the gelcoat - at least its high up above water line and the boat is dry docked.

I bought some marine filler, and I found the Regal gelcoat kit online with the factory cover (this is a 2008 / very little use / stored under cover so fade wd be very minimal imo).

The largest gap is about 1.4" at most.. id say the thickest part is about 1.3mm give or take..

Is this too big for a gelcoat only repair? My thoughts were if i fill it and sand it down perfectly that the gelcoat wont have anywhere to stick so to speak, unless i fill only a bit of the gap and rest with gelcoat?

Yes I still have to prep the area -

thanks!
Does the person who's boat you are working on know that you don't know what you are doing?

Sorry, I'm getting tired of hearing someone hired a "pro" when they really hired someone without a clue.

From what I can see of it looks to like a serious FRP fracture that could affect the integrity of the hull.

This should be inspected by a qualified person before anyone lifts a tool, and repaired only by someone who knows what they are doing vs someone asking rudimentary questions on a forum.

What do you have for commercial liability insurance if you make it look fixed but then the boat breaks up with all souls lost with a grieving family survivor? Do you own anything of
value they could get a judgement on?
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 11:25   #12

It was def not a fire, the guy knows im not a pro either, the damage is much smaller than it appears, he bumped the dockside as he started off from idle. Noone is gonna drown trust me.. Its a 4" spider crack with 2 1/8 wide pieces that were flaked and no more than 1/16 deep. It's cosmetic.
Old 17-08-2017, 13:00   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Rod I tried the nice approach to no avail and it seems the harsh way doesnt do it either . Glad its not my boat though.
Old 17-08-2017, 13:02   #14
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
It was def not a fire, the guy knows im not a pro either, the damage is much smaller than it appears, he bumped the dockside as he started off from idle. Noone is gonna drown trust me.. Its a 4" spider crack with 2 1/8 wide pieces that were flaked and no more than 1/16 deep. It's cosmetic.
I can only respond to the picture posted. I receive a lot of photos and queries about FRP and gelcoat damage.

That is not gelcoat crazing or a "spider crack". That is a serious FRP fracture.

I perform and teach FRP repair for a living.

This repair should be referred to someone who knows what they are doing. Neither fill, nor gelcoat alone is any where near appropriate for this repair. It will require significant glass removal and replacement.

If you don't trust me on this, I hope for your sake a surveyor pipes up, because this may be very serious.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2017, 13:05   #15

As a former small boat manufacturer I would add a little mineral talcum powder to the original gelcoat that you have and fill with that. It should become a smooth peanut butter or a little more liquid paste. Add catalyst last. Still well. Apply thickened jelcoat, only enough to fill. Cover the repair with acetate paper i.e cigarette package's clear acetate wrap. Press cellophane on top of jelcoat paste and smooth lightly with a finger. Let cure. Remove cellophane.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gelcoat