Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2022, 12:55   #61

Re: anchor question

No experience with modern anchors.
When we were cruising the modern anchor was the Bruce. We used a Taiwan cast stainless copy of a CQR. Worked fine, but it took some skill.
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 16:47   #62

Boat: Herreshoff 36 Nereia

I bought a genuine Simpson Laurence 20kg anchor for my 11 ton Herreshoff 36. I had nothing but problems dragging anchor on my 3 month cruise including at final anchorage. Hopped straight into a cab and bought a 49 pound generic plough. No problems since.
Paul Klein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 17:14   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I'm a diehard Bruce Anchor fan. 35 years afloat and I swear by them.

However, my first question....why not use two anchors ??

It will cut down on swinging room and give you a backup.

Remember that anchors often fail at the bow roller due to chafe, etc, so this area needs special attention.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 17:26   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

Remember that anchors often fail at the bow roller due to chafe, etc, so this area needs special attention.
After 35 years you should know why you normally don't use 2 hooks
Old 06-08-2022, 17:35   #65
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

oh lordy...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 20:02   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
After 35 years you should know why you normally don't use 2 hooks
Well, I don't know much about much so I'll bite. Why shouldn't you use two anchors?
cyrano138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 20:11   #67

Tide changes
Wind changes
Unless you are alone or in a small Anchorage most people use one anchor so they can swing together. If you are on two nobody can anchor anywhere near you.
Old 06-08-2022, 23:11   #68

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post

I keep two of them on the bow rollers all the time.

And, I quiet often set two anchors: If strong winds are predicted. In small anchorages. Anywhere that strong wind against tide is prevalent. If bottom are poor.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:53   #69
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynara View Post
Tide changes
Wind changes
Unless you are alone or in a small Anchorage most people use one anchor so they can swing together. If you are on two nobody can anchor anywhere near you.

In my opinion you mentioned the times why 2 anchors were used. Before the new gen anchors the older anchors had a much harder time resetting after a wind or current change, thus the use of 2 anchors. Also, when an anchorage was really crowded we’ve used 2 anchors to cut down on swinging radius, of course we only did this if the majority of other boats used two anchors.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:04   #70

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.

Please let the manatee crew explain how to use two Bruce anchors not set one behind the other. Not set like the hammerlock used by the Navy.
Each chain is a fixed length...let’s just say 50 to 100 feet. They need not be exactly the same length. The end of #1 chain is connected to of those big stainless triangle plates. So chain #1 is connected into hole number one in the plate. Hole #2 is connected to more chain (pick any nice long length) which is down below, ready to be let out from the chain locker. Chain #2 is of course connected to anchor #2.
You let out chain #1 and set it. You keep the triangle plate on deck. Drive the boat forward at about 45 to 60 degrees opposite which ever side of the boat you deployed anchor #1. When chain #1 gets to about 30 or 40 degrees, pay out chain / anchor #2 which can be attached to a shackle on the plate filling the last hole. We leave chain #2 laid out on deck so it runs free. If you have a bowsprit, you need to pass the second chain underneath. Do this with a short line so you don’t drop it. Let out some chain so the plate goes out. If you think you need a snubber, attach it between the boat and the triangle plate. You can relax and the boat will settle back.
So now you have one anchor to starboard and one to port meeting at a triangle plate and you have just one chain from the plate to your boat...with or without a snubber. You can let out more chain anytime.
We’ve used a big swivel such as they use in offshore scalloping and big stainless snap shackles. Never had the chains braid using this set up. Once you learn how to do this, it takes very little time. If you have two anchors in two anchor chutes, all you need is the triangle plate stuff.
We make our own plate with three rings so we can use snap shackles. No pins to drop. We’ve seen a triangle plate for sale in some marine catalog or store.
We used this system for years until we saw the Kodiak System for Anchoring which is far superior.
Happy trails.
Captain Mark and the manatee crew.
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 05:33   #71

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Please let the manatee crew explain how to use two Bruce anchors not set one behind the other. Not set like the hammerlock used by the Navy.
Each chain is a fixed length...let’s just say 50 to 100 feet. They need not be exactly the same length. The end of #1 chain is connected to of those big stainless triangle plates. So chain #1 is connected into hole number one in the plate. Hole #2 is connected to more chain (pick any nice long length) which is down below, ready to be let out from the chain locker. Chain #2 is of course connected to anchor #2.
You let out chain #1 and set it. You keep the triangle plate on deck. Drive the boat forward at about 45 to 60 degrees opposite which ever side of the boat you deployed anchor #1. When chain #1 gets to about 30 or 40 degrees, pay out chain / anchor #2 which can be attached to a shackle on the plate filling the last hole. We leave chain #2 laid out on deck so it runs free. If you have a bowsprit, you need to pass the second chain underneath. Do this with a short line so you don’t drop it. Let out some chain so the plate goes out. If you think you need a snubber, attach it between the boat and the triangle plate. You can relax and the boat will settle back.
So now you have one anchor to starboard and one to port meeting at a triangle plate and you have just one chain from the plate to your boat...with or without a snubber. You can let out more chain anytime.
We’ve used a big swivel such as they use in offshore scalloping and big stainless snap shackles. Never had the chains braid using this set up. Once you learn how to do this, it takes very little time. If you have two anchors in two anchor chutes, all you need is the triangle plate stuff.
We make our own plate with three rings so we can use snap shackles. No pins to drop. We’ve seen a triangle plate for sale in some marine catalog or store.
We used this system for years until we saw the Kodiak System for Anchoring which is far superior.
Happy trails.
Captain Mark and the manatee crew.
Mark, I'm thinking that only one of these two anchors will be holding any strain at any one time unless you can somehow get your triangle just exact, and then it changes if you swing at all, so you are anchored on one anchor with another out there in case the first one drags, right? Or am I missing something?
Old 07-08-2022, 06:01   #72
smj

anchor question

We would use 2 large fluke danforths, one set upstream and one downstream, or what we thought would be upwind and downwind. We have the anchors led on separate rodes as if we have problems I want to be able to tend the anchors separately. Used this setup for I’m guessing well over 1000 nights of anchoring and never a problem.
Manateemans setup sounds like a good workable plan for a longer term mooring.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:32   #73

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
We would use 2 large fluke danforths, one set upstream and one downstream, or what we thought would be upwind and downwind. We have the anchors led on separate rodes as if we have problems I want to be able to tend the anchors separately. Used this setup for I’m guessing well over 1000 nights of anchoring and never a problem.
Manateemans setup sounds like a good workable plan for a longer term mooring.
Is this a stern anchor? Or are both rodes deployed from the bow?

If both rodes are from the bow, have you had problems with the boat's hull or appendages contacting either of the rodes?

If both rodes are from the bow, don't you get any twisting or tangling of the rodes of the boat swings around one or more times?
Old 07-08-2022, 06:41   #74
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

If both rodes are from the bow, have you had problems with the boat's hull or appendages contacting either of the rodes?

If both rodes are from the bow, don't you get any twisting or tangling of the rodes of the boat swings around one or more times?

Both rodes deployed from the bow.
With enough slack there is no problem with contacting the hull or keel unless one gets into a possible tide vs wind situation. And if that happens it contacts the rode not the chain.
Yes you do get twisting in the rodes. We keep one rode coiled on deck so we can pass it around the other rode to keep the twists of.
Since the coming of the new gen anchor we have very rarely used a 2 anchor system as the new gen resets so well.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:47   #75

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

I've seen some people avoid the twisting with them both off the bow by running the 2 rodes to a large swivel, then from there to the boat (allowing the boat to spin freely above the anchors).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor