Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2012, 22:26   #16

Boat: Simpson 40 Catamaran
Re: Ablative Or Hard Bottom Paint?

Personally I chose hard bottom paint (Sea Hawk Tropikote Plus Biocide, compelling reason for Sea Hawk was boatyard I hauled out in offered free haulout with bottom paint purchase... Bit I haven't been in the water long enough to provide feedback on how it performs).
But I would rephrase donradcliffe hesitation putting hard over soft bottom paints to simply say just don't do it... Soft over hard is fine but hard over soft is something I've heard some pretty sad stories about. Also depending on what else you are doing hauling out make sure to confirm min and max time the new paint can be out of the water before relaunching.
SunnySky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2012, 23:02   #17

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Interlux® Technical Service Department at 1-800- 468-7589

These people will ask you how you use your boat, what kind of hull, what kind of water and what type of growths are seen in the lake. Like what kind of moss etc. They will ask if you want to sand, how often you want to repaint?

After a dozen or so questions, they recommended Interlude Micron Extra for my sailboat.

I was deeply impressed with the quality of their service over the phone.

Kicker? They don't sell paint. Told me to shop around. Defender had the best price. But a monkey put it in a light shipping box. Gallon can was pretty beat up on delivery.

www.jamestowndistributors.com sells paint and knows how to ship delicate expensive liquids.

Call the number to figure out the best paint for you, and your boat. Great people.
Old 18-10-2012, 23:16   #18

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
My paint came in several color choices.

Click image for larger version

Name:	752825_2.jpeg
Views:	205
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	48488

Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoGrid_1350627104329.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	48489
Old 19-10-2012, 06:09   #19

Is there any hard paint that can stay out of the water for an extended period of time(let's say for a year) and not lose it's anti-fouling properties? For the past 15 years I've been coating my max prop with a hard bottom paint after proper prep, but the boat has always been in the water. Now the boat is going to be spending more time on the hard than in the water. For the rest of the hull I use an ablative paint by Bluewater.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 07:03   #20
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Is there any hard paint that can stay out of the water for an extended period of time(let's say for a year) and not lose it's anti-fouling properties?
I'm not sure there is any paint that can stay out for that length of time. Certainly no hard paint that I've ever heard of.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 07:19   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Which ever you choose, worth shopping around for now as chandlers want rid of this years paint and cash in the till. Our local chandler has 20% off a couple of tins of Micron Extra which are now sat in my garage ready for next spring. Wait until next spring and you will be paying the full price plus any increases.

Also worth having a chat with anyone else nearby and ask them what they are using and does it work. However, the best thing you can do is use it as Rebel Heart says.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 07:38   #22
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

FYI to all- Interlux has an excellent forum featuring quick help from their Techs:

Antifouling - Yachtpaintforum.com - Page 1
Old 19-10-2012, 07:58   #23

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
Might "better for the environment" be a euphemism for less effective?
My thoughts exactly.

Looking to either purchase or apply Sea Hawk ablative (with TBT) when cruising... remember the 'good stuff' that actually worked pretty well?
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 08:04   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
Looking to either purchase or apply Sea Hawk ablative (with TBT) when cruising...
Clearly, "better for the environment" is not a priority for you.
Old 19-10-2012, 08:09   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You can't get TBT bottom paint legally in the US. It was banned for pleasure boat hulls if I remember right about 6 or 7 years ago. It is banned for all hulls now.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 08:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Clearly, "better for the environment" is not a priority for you.
Unless I believe (as I do) that a product that actually works applied once every 5 years is better then those that do not which must be sanded off and re-applied twice as often.

But then I do not believe in adding alcohol to gasoline either so what do I know.
Old 19-10-2012, 08:14   #27
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
You can't get TBT bottom paint legally in the US. It was banned for pleasure boat hulls if I remember right about 6 or 7 years ago.
TbT-based anti fouling paint was been banned for pleasure and commercial vessels worldwide by the International Maritime Organization in 2008. But as usual, for those that really couldn't give two sh*ts about what they do to the environment, there are still places you can get it.
Old 19-10-2012, 08:15   #28

Quote:
You can't get TBT bottom paint legally in the US. It was banned for pleasure boat hulls if I remember right about 6 or 7 years ago. It is banned for all hulls now.
Fortunately, it can still be purchased and applied outside the US.
Old 19-10-2012, 08:29   #29

Quote:
Yes, as you point out it is only banned for recreational use, it is still used on a much larger scale (legally) on commercial ships.

It makes it rather less clear that there is a significant environmental impact, when the permitted use ensures a larger exposure to the environment.

Look, my point is not to turn this into a debate, but to suggest that the considerations involved in the OP's question are much less black and white then they might appear.

The cruising Sailor has many options, and there are many ways to evaluate their options beyond the marketing.

For me, the environmental impact of sanding my hull twice as often outweighs using an effective paint that is only banned because of the nature of it's use. Going to another place to purchase / apply this paint is a reasonable option when examined outside of the emotionally charged context of our mutual love for the Sea.

Peace to all.
Old 19-10-2012, 08:52   #30
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Yes, as you point out it is only banned for recreational use, it is still used on a much larger scale (legally) on commercial ships.
Not true. TriButyl tin has been banned for all commercial and pleasure craft. 57 seafaring nations worldwide have ratified the ban and are enforcing it.

Annex I states that all ships shall not apply or re-apply organotins compounds which act as biocides in anti-fouling systems. This applies to all ships (including fixed and floating platforms, floating storage units (FSUs), and Floating Production Storage and Offtake units (FPSOs).

IMO | International Convention on the Control of Harmful Anti-fouling Systems on Ships (AFS)

Quote:
For me, the environmental impact of sanding my hull twice as often outweighs using an effective paint that is only banned because of the nature of it's use. Going to another place to purchase / apply this paint is a reasonable option when examined outside of the emotionally charged context of our mutual love for the Sea.
Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Tags
bottom paint, paint