Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2021, 08:24   #1

pirate 1973 Irwin 37 Intake Manifold and Jacketed exhaust system

Hey all. I hope whoever reads this is having a great day! I am getting by 1973 Irwin fixed up and ready to sail the ocean.

There are some things I need to fix in my engine, one of which being the cap to my intake manifold and or breather. I am having trouble finding this part especially with just the cap the way it is originally built. The serial number I am reading from the bottom is: 37786180 / 4

The other thing I need to do is rebuild a wet jacketed exhaust system and exhaust fan. My exhaust system is completely rotted away. So if anyone has any suggestions or diagrams of how they have done this or how they have seen it before that would be super useful!

Thanks in advance for the help and I am looking forward to your responses!
LizIrwin37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:23   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Re: 1973 Irwin 37 Intake Manifold and Jacketed exhaust system

I assume your Irwin has a Perkins 4108, but you will likely get more help if you identify your engine.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:25   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Liz.
What make/model engine does your Irwin have?

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 09:48   #4

Pics and engine model is necessary really.

"cap to my intake manifold" You mean the air inlet cover? Any type of filter screen will work. I would not use an auto style paper intake filter. You dont need one really, just anything to keep from sucking a rag or insulation into the engine. Marine diesels are not a dusty environment really.

Basically you can use mostly marine exhaust hose. You need the raw sea water to exit into a mixing elbow at the back of the engine, from there the exhaust is cooled by that water . Most have a fiberglass "waterlift" muffler, then the exhaust hose continues to the through hull exit fitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	233787  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust, Irwin