Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2020, 15:54   #1

Boat: Hunter 33
Yanmar Thermostat Overheat

Yanmar 3ym30

I had an overheat problem today. After checking a few things I ended up pulling out the Thermostat, I ran it without the thermostat in it and it was ok. Well, I figured the thermostat must have been stuck closed.

I decided to test it in a pot of boiling water and it opened and closed as it's supposed to. Well now I'm really confused

I'm assuming it would overheat if the thermostat was stuck closed?
RobD527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 16:20   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar Thermostat Overheat

I suggest you investigate the raw water cooling circuit i.e. seacock, water pump">raw water pump, heat exchanger and mixing elbow.

The thermostat can't keep the engine at the correct temperature if the heat exchanger isn't receiving a sufficient flow of raw water (sea water).

The removal of the thermostat perhaps allowed enough cooling with a partially compromised raw water circuit.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 17:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Did you have a thermometer in the pot of boiling water, or did you just boil water?
I ask as a thermostat in a boat should open about 165 degrees or so, and can be bad, but still operate at 212f.
Either way, get a new one and while your at it a new gasket too.
Checking / cleaning the heat exchanger can never hurt either, and flush and change the coolant. Since you have to drain it and could well get salt water in the fresh water side when you pull the heat ex tubes out, I flush and change the coolant any time the heat exchanger is opened.
It only takes a tiny bit of salt water to contaminate coolant, or so I have been told.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 17:36   #4

Boat: Cruising Catamaran

If you are away from port, ideas to read the water temp - use a thermal imaging gun, meat cooking sensor, oven thermometer, If you do not have any thermometer, try the thermostat in a pot filled with water from the hot tap. If not open under hot tap, then put on stove and raise temp, it should open before boiling.
Tin Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2020, 17:43   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Have you confirmed the engine was actually overheating? You might have an intermittent gauge or over temp. switch.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2020, 19:34   #6

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft

Once you have solved the problem, invest in one of these. Put one sensor just below the water injection point on the exhaust elbow & the other under a bolt that houses the thermostat.
https://engineguard.com.au/?gclid=Cj...4aAuj0EALw_wcBClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200322_123254.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	211017
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar