Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2015, 06:09   #1
cruiser

Yanmar Slow Coolant Leak

Since the beginning of the season, we've had a very slow coolant leak from the freshwater (antifreeze) side of our 100hp turbo Yanmar coolant system. I just finished pumping out the containment bilge below the engine and evacuated approximately three gallons of greenish brown, oily water which had accumulated over a two month period (1000 miles). I refilled the coolant system which was down only three cups of fluid 24 oz. I can't see any obvious places where the coolant is leaking out, everything seems fine.

My first hunch is the engine water pump is on its way out, but I can't get my head in there to see if it's developed a drip without getting my face ripped off by the fan belts.

Any thoughts or ideas on what the most likely problem might be? It's not so easy on this setup to place the absorbent pads underneath the engine to find the leak.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 06:43   #2
cruiser

Re: Yanmar Slow Coolant Leak

The reason for the difference in the amount of water vacuumed out and going in, is that we added maybe two gallons of water to wash out the bilge before realizing that it was a containment bilge.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:52   #3

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Some common areas for coolant leaks are endcaps on the heat exchangers and brazing around the pressure cap tube/housing. Could also be a freeze plug. Does your overflow tube from the pressure cap go into the bilge or a tank?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 08:45   #4
cruiser

I went looking for the heat exchanger. Thanks to your suggestion, I found two very loose fan belts.... Now fixed. Discovered our throttle cable had multiple cracks in the casing... Now Repaired. Hose clamp on the turbo broken and fallen off... Now replaced and possibly the source of the oil leak.

It's been a busy two hours. We'll clean the entire engine tomorrow morning and order a new air filter. How do people who aren't handy go cruising?

Thanks

Ken
Old 10-08-2015, 09:08   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd go to an auto parts store and buy a pressure tester, it of course replaces the "radiator cap" and pressurizes the system.
It of course has a gauge on it, that will tell you if you have a leak in your system and how big it is, and you can start looking for external leaks on a cool, not running engine.
It could be as simple as your cap.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:14   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

It could also be a leak in the flexible hose that runs from the expansion tank to the filler neck. These hoses can get brittle and crack due to heat and time. Often they are poorly attached at both ends, sometimes with no clamp at all. They are often just pushed onto the spout.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:56   #7

Two "hidden" areas for coolant leaks:
1) hot water heater(there's usually a bypass value to eliminate the heater).An internal hot water heater leak will go into the hot water tank. The hot water might smell like antifreeze.
2) the weep hole on the bottom of the water pump may show a rust line where it's leaking and then evaporating.
I've encountered both of these.
wsailing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:05   #8
cruiser

We cleaned the engine over the past two days along with the engine containment bilge. Hopefully, now I'll be able to spot the leak. If not, my wife will purchase the radiator pressure tester in two weeks. I've checked everywhere that's been suggested so far.

The leak search has uncovered several other areas in need of service/attention that we've been taking care of.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2015, 11:02   #9

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Have similar 100 hp Yanmar. Not sure why you can't see WP which in mine is Port side behind the fan belts etc. Any how most common leak spot is impeller case where the face plate bolts to the housing. There is a rubber O ring on some and if the inside of the face plate is worn you can either turn it around(inside out) or try to scour it with abrasive pad to smooth out. Look there First, don't go looking for zebras.

By the way what was the LAST thing YOU did to the engine, always check the last thing that was fiddled with First. Russ
Old 11-08-2015, 11:39   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Rule in or out the head gasket. Oil in water or water in oil is probably the most serious possibility. Siphon off some coolant into jar, look for oil film to separate. Dipstick oil should not appear milky. It could still be the gasket without these manifestations.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2015, 12:10   #11
cruiser

I think we sorted out the problem. The leak was apparently water leaking from the generator exhaust hose where it entered the separator. A small amount of engine oil was leaking from the turbo manifold due to a broken hose clamp allowing it to mix with sea water in the containment bilge where it appeared greenish brown in color and oily.

Got the mess cleaned up and will continue to monitor.

Thanks for the help.

Ken
Old 10-12-2020, 09:57   #12

Boat: Watkins 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd go to an auto parts store and buy a pressure tester, it of course replaces the "radiator cap" and pressurizes the system.
It of course has a gauge on it, that will tell you if you have a leak in your system and how big it is, and you can start looking for external leaks on a cool, not running engine.
It could be as simple as your cap.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
If you go the auto store pressure tester, most big auto parts chains will let you borrow the tester. You buy it, use it and bring it back when done.

I use the cap labled 60 on my 2gm20F. I would suggest you test with a warm engine. Results can be deceiving when its cold.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, yanmar