Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2022, 12:33   #1

Boat: Beneteau 423
YANMAR dipstick reading question

I find that my 4jh4e dipstick shows different levels on the different sides. The photos show one side just below full, the other shows past full. I guess that the lower of the two is correct. I normally fill so that both sides are within the bands. I just changed my oil. it is a bit more full than normal. How should it be read?

Harry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F23D0F11-6F54-49A5-AD32-1A67367DAF51.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	266057   Click image for larger version

Name:	3DACD30C-B762-413A-8488-7E2870188BB7.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	266058  

hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 12:55   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: YANMAR dipstick reading question

I don't have any answers, but if it makes you feel any better, I see similar behavior in my 4JH4. I remove the dipstick, wipe it, reinsert and then remove to read the level. Very rarely, if ever, does it read consistently on the two sides. I use the same compromise as you- keep both readings within the two dipstick marks.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 15:43   #3

With your compromise, I don’t think you’ll do any harm. But my understanding is that the lower is correct. The upper side is just caused by an excess of oil in the dip tube. You should see both sides equalize if engine has been sitting for a while.
Pandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 16:15   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

THIS has driven me crazy!!!!! 4JH4.

There have been other threads on this same issue. A common complaint.

Here is MY take. The dipstick design sucks.

The dip stick tube turns as it enters the oil pan and is more horizontal than vertical. That partially causes the difference front to back.

But also because the tube is not vertical oil clings to the stick and it gets transferred to the tube, when you pull the stick out it brings some oil with it, which sticks to the tube. Then you out the stick back in and the stick wipes oil off the tube, on to the stick, giving a false reading.

What I did is to figure out where the oil SHOULD be relative to the BOTTOM of the stick. Lets say that is 4”. FIRST wait a bit (15-30 seconds) before reinserting the stick. Then I insert the stick leaving 4” sticking out. There should be just a bit of oil on the stick tip. Then reinsert leaving 3” sticking out and I should have 1” of oil on the stick.

This way I get a good reading of where the top of the oil is without pulling oil up the tube and then getting that on the stick when reinserting.

That is the only way I am sure I am getting a good reading. I can not estimate how much effort I put into figuring out this process. It seems so simple but was not obvious to me.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 17:13   #5

Boat: Atlas Pompano 21

I'm sure you'll get a lot of conflicting answers to this. Here's what I do on my 4jh2-hte:

After wiping the dipstick, I stick it back in the tube. Then I twist it back and forth a little bit to make sure oil can get to the back side. When I do this, both front and back will agree with the higher reading that was previously read on the front.

This makes me think that somehow the back of the dipstick is being wiped by the tube. But I think I will verify this theory by using the method hpeer suggested above.
ScottRhodes13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2022, 19:31   #6

Yes common problem.

I find that I get closer readings if I put the wiped dipstick all the way in and then lift it 1/2" and reinsert several times. I think the agitation disturbs the oil sticking to the tube causing it to slide down.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar