Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2010, 11:02   #31

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
Hadn't thought of that. I'll have to check the manual for the 3QM30 to see if that's true for the 2-generations older model as well.

Thanks.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:35   #32
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hendry View Post
Hadn't thought of that. I'll have to check the manual for the 3QM30 to see if that's true for the 2-generations older model as well.

Thanks.
As far as I know, the QM and GM need to have the suction tube put down the dipstick tube.
JustCatamarans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2010, 11:49   #33

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Nope.It doesn't run without oil, just PRESSURIZED oil.

When you start a car, it's got no oil pressure for a few seconds, and all the oil has had time to drain away from bearings etc. That's got to be worse than running an engine with oil pressure when the pressure is all of a sudden gone for a few seconds. At least the oil film is still there.
I'll agree with you on that one.

When I start my engines, I first crank while pulling out on the shutoff, until low pressure alarm cuts off. If it has been more than a few days since the engine has last run, I'll do this with the decompression levers thrown. Then put things back in order, and start engine. Surely this is better for the engine. The engine is being rotated just the same, but the forces from combustion aren't there, nor from compression, if the levers have been thrown.

This isn't the first i've heard about removing the oil this way, and I'm sure it can be done safely if you are careful, but I'm not ready to do away with pumping out the oil by hand. Not much margin for error.

Imagine mentioned earlier about the Jabsco hand pump. That's what I use, with a 2 inch long discharge tube stuck into the mouth of a 1 gallon oil jug. I can hold the pump and the handle of the jug together in one hand.

But after 5 years I wanted to replace the pump. Unfortunately, what they make today is not as good as my old one. The pump head (the intake end)is made of red plastic/rubber whereas the old one was black. The red seems to be effected by oil--in short order. I think I could use it once before it went bad. I'm still using my old one, and am on the lookout for a new system.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 11:14   #34

Re: Yanmar 3YM30 Oil Drain Location?

Does anyone know what the thread size is for the oil pan plug. I'm thinking of replacing it with a Fumoto Qwik Valve and hose for easier oil changes.
Capt Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 14:05   #35

Hi,
I'm sure I'm going to look dumb with this question. I have always followed Yanmar's instructions to the letter re changing oil on a 4 year old 3YM30: ie., pumping it out (warm) through the dipstick pipe. The last two years I've noticed, once I add new oil and check the level (and yes, after fitting a new filter), the oil is virtually as black as the old stuff. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? There seems to be a nut on the starboard side of the oil pan, which I hesitate to fool with since it's not mentioned in the manual at all. Has anyone tried draining through that? Thanks!
odyssey35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 15:14   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

First, you run the engine to get any solids that have precipitated out back in suspension so they will drain out with the oil. It's nice to have the oil warmed up

2nd, even cars are getting away from drain plugs. Try and find a drain plug on a new car's transmission and you will be very frustrated.

Easiest way to change the oil is with a self contained suction pump/tank. Just put the tube down the dipstick, give the tam pump a few strokes and walk away while it does its thing. Take the pump/tank to the recycle and either pour the old oil or flip am a e and pump it out. A really neat clean way without having to worry knocking over a bike of oil or some other catastrophe.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 05:58   #37

Yes, the suction pump is good, but you didn't really answer the question about the oil being black immediately after a change.
Capt Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:36   #38

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

On my 3GM30F, I run the engine to get it warm before changing the oil, but don't get too hot or you will melt the pickup tube. Mine is always black just after changing and I change filters every time I change the oil. Diesel oil is a detergent oil and that is why it is black I'm told.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 19:40   #39

Thanks for the replies re the black oil after changing on the 3YM30. Your information is truly appreciated. ... It sounds like dipstick pumping is the accepted method for changing oil, as opposed to messing with drain plugs. It also sounds like, since my new oil is still black, I'll have to change the oil a second time--but given that she's all buttoned up for the winter, and I don't have access to water in the storage yard to run the engine for long enough to warm things up, I'll have to wait till spring.
odyssey35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 08:54   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Don't know why but diesel oil turns black after very short engine run time after an oil change. So black oil seems to be normal. Maybe somthing to do with a more effective way to mark its territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Rocco View Post
Yes, the suction pump is good, but you didn't really answer the question about the oil being black immediately after a change.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:10   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Rocco, & Oddysey.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2019, 14:25   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I installed a tee at the oil pressure sender with a suitable high pressure hose terminated by a cap.
To change oil, I undo the cap, stick the hose in a 5 quart plastic laundry soap bottle and start the engine. I just let it idle, and when the hose starts spitting air, I shut off the engine, remove the hose, and cap the bottle.

It's almost white glove with no effort.
The hardest and dirtiest part is changing the filter.

Lastly when it's convenient, I take the closed container to the oil dump, empty and save it for the next time.

Ees bery bery seemple!
Do you have a picture of this? Where the T is installed
mecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 09:34   #43

Boat: Catalina 355, 34.5ft

Pitiful! Just Pitiful. Yanmar's manual is useless on this and most other points and so called experts on here are providing cover for their slackness siting warranty. Lawyer controlled cowards at the helms of most companies these days.
jslayton321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 10:20   #44

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
2nd, even cars are getting away from drain plugs. Try and find a drain plug on a new car's transmission and you will be very frustrated
Took me 30 minutes of searching to discover my new pickup didn't have a dipstick for the transmission, completely sealed good for life of truck (or not).
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 11:01   #45
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
Took me 30 minutes of searching to discover my new pickup didn't have a dipstick for the transmission, completely sealed good for life of truck (or not).

my transmission actually has a drain plug but it is impossible to use. it is locked tight from the factory and even a mechanic's pneumatic wrench could not budge it

Tags
3ym30, yanmar