Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2013, 13:41   #1

Yanmar 3QM30H Oil Pan

I am trying to remove the oil pan and have loosened 18 of 20 vertical bolts. Are these 20 bolts all that are holding on the oil pan ? Or are there other things that must be removed ? I'm doing this without moving the engine off its mounts.
gmjosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 14:11   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Yanmar 3QM30H oil pan

Just the bolts hold it on. That and a little stickieness with the gasket. You might need to pry it loose with a screw driver.

Be advised that there will still be oil in the pan too. My 3GM (different model BTW) had 1/2 quart still in the bottom when I removed it..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 15:13   #3

Re: Yanmar 3QM30H Oil Pan

Thanks for your speedy reply,sailorchic34.
gmjosey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2013, 16:05   #4

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20
Re: Yanmar 3QM30H Oil Pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmjosey View Post
I am trying to remove the oil pan and have loosened 18 of 20 vertical bolts. Are these 20 bolts all that are holding on the oil pan ? Or are there other things that must be removed ? I'm doing this without moving the engine off its mounts.
No direct experience with that Yanmar model, but a good light and a mirror would help (if you aren't already using such). Likely only those bolts and the gasket adhering (almost always happens), like SC said.

I have an pdf copy of an engine manual for a 2QM15 (and several others), which is the same series (the 2/3GM/HM's are a newer, different series), it only deals with general operation and maintenance. Could email a copy if you need one.
FYI:
A description of (most) common aux engines, and manuals, parts, etc., can be found at Marine Diesel Direct , AKA TOAD/TorresenMarine here: Marine Diesel Engines and Engine Parts - Universal, Volvo, Westerbeke, Yanmar, MASE .
Engine code descriptions here: Yanmar Marine Engine Identification Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts++ .

They are one Yanmar dealer of several US ones, Yanmar has a very territorial distribution system , so you may not be in their area (I'm not).
Fortunately I have another Yanmar dealer just a couple hundred yards from my slip. , ('the' only one for a huge area).
You just might find a Yanmar supplier on eBay too (I didn't say that...).
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, yanmar