Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-09-2019, 10:53   #1

Boat: C&C 41
Yanmar 3HM35F sitting in water for 2 years?

Hi -
We are looking at buying a 1986 C&C 41 for a great bargain because (sadly) owner became ill and had to "drop everything." As a result, the Yanmar engine - a 1985 3HM35F with only 1500 hours on the meter - has been sitting unprotected at the mooring in a Massachusetts marina for about 2 years. Our broker who is also an amateur surveyor (ha ha) went over the deck with moisture meter and shockingly there is only one small wet spot, also visual inspection of engine did not reveal much, the propeller shaft had white precipitate on it, band the bilge needed pumping. The mildew is fixable.

We are getting a Yanmar mechanic out in a few days to look it over.
Wondered though if anyone had thoughts regarding likelihood of the engine having survived or whether we should not trust it even if it appears OK?

What replacement engines would people suggest ... USED, and we are on tight budget? We really want to keep boat, I don't know how much we'd be looking at for engine installation - I think we could afford a used engine but not sure about the installation.

THANKS!
joycemango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:04   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Yanmar 3HM35F sitting in water for 2 years?

I thought you meant it was sitting under water for 2 years! If I were the one selling I would not be concerned at all. 2 years isn't much
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 13:38   #3

Boat: Sceptre 36

Great boat! Our last one was a 41 and regret selling it. Same engine, very reliable. Biggest problem is if there are any engine issues, access is the worst I have ever seen on a boat! Serious engine work or replacement will involve removing a lot of cabinetry, wiring etc. Have the mechanic have a really hard look at it, oil tests etc.
Rex Delay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 13:41   #4

Thanks all - bad news to hear access is that bad though
Old 03-09-2019, 18:20   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycemango View Post

We are getting a Yanmar mechanic out in a few days to look it over.
Wondered though if anyone had thoughts regarding likelihood of the engine having survived or whether we should not trust it even if it appears OK?
If the engine turns over freely (and most likely it will), then it is most likely going to be OK. It may not start quickly but that is not usually a big problem to solve.

The 3HM35 has decompression levers so I would decompress it, spin it over on the starter motor, check there is oil pressure (light and alarm turns off) and if so, try a start. If it starts, check for cooling water flow.

If in the unlikely circumstance, it doesn't turn over, further investigation is needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joycemango View Post
What replacement engines would people suggest ... USED, and we are on tight budget? We really want to keep boat, I don't know how much we'd be looking at for engine installation - I think we could afford a used engine but not sure about the installation.

THANKS!
You are a long way away from considering a replacement engine ATM. These engines are tough and simple. Yes, parts are expensive but mostly they don't need them. 1,500 hours isn't much although these engines usually fail from neglect not hours.

Have a look for serious external rust, old flexible cracked fuel lines, rusted clamps
worn out V belts, dirty fuel in filters etc. Theses will tell you a lot about the previous maintenance.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 00:44   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

As a marine surveyor I would not be too worried. Plenty of boats I survey are lucky to have had there motor run once a year. I reckon your Yanmar mechanic will have her running in no time.
I love the phrase “great bargain”, that’s certainly no boat I have ever surveyed!
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 01:27   #7

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I’m surrounded by other boats in our marina that only start their engines once every two to three years!!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 08:23   #8

Y'all crack me up

You're making a great case for no need for winterizing engines
Old 04-09-2019, 10:41   #9

Even if the engine turns over before starting, remove the fuel injectors and spray some PBBlaster or ATF into the cylinders. That will insure minimal damage to the engine after sitting so long. If the fuel is over two years old, have it cleaned or replaced. It most certainly has moisture in it (via the tank vent) and could also have phase separation. Also, change the engine oil unless you know for sure that it is fresh.
Captain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 15:10   #10

I agree with Captain Bob about spraying the cylinders before you start. I would change the oil and filter before the first startup. Depending on how that filter is mounted, if it drains when the engine is off, you just might see rust in the filter. If water got into the oil but isn't emulsified yet, removing the bad oil is a great first step.

Best to start fresh.

It would also be good to add a biocide to the fuel tank and run the fuel pump for a day to polish the fuel and remove any gunk.

While you have the injectors off the engine you might consider taking them to a diesel injection shop and have them bench tested. The cost is nominal and takes another layer of guess work off of the table.

With fresh oil and filter, clean and calibrated injectors, clean fuel, I'll bet it will start right up.

Good luck
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 15:25   #11

The OP is thinking of buying the boat - he doesn't own it yet.

How many of the above posters would pull the injectors, change the oils, supply clean fuel etc etc before purchase?

How many owners would be happy to let a prospective buyer service the engine during an inspection?
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-09-2019, 16:14   #12

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

Had the same engine on my last boat..... 1985. Great engine. It should be fine. Replace all hoses, flush and replace all fluids (engine oil, trans, antifreeze)..

Good luck!
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 16:23   #13

Boat: Seafarer36c

[QUOTE=Wotname;
How many owners would be happy to let a prospective buyer service the engine during an inspection?[/QUOTE]

I would not allow an inspector/buyer to unscrew anything to service the engine or anything on the boat. Who says this person knows anything about putting your boat back together the way you had it?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 16:30   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecos View Post
I would not allow an inspector/buyer to unscrew anything to service the engine or anything on the boat. Who says this person knows anything about putting your boat back together the way you had it?
Exactly!
Old 04-09-2019, 16:37   #15

Well I do plan on passing on this Intel to the mechanic we've hired to look at the engine, so all very helpful

Tags
water, yanmar