Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-10-2016, 11:33   #46

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.
Re: Yanmar 2QM15 won't start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInMD View Post
If that works for you - good. If some day that method doesn't work, I believe the official procedure for bleeding the high pressure side is to not crack open the nuts you mention, but follow the two lines to the injectors and crack both those nuts open by a full turn. Crank the motor until you get clear fuel at the injectors, tighten the nuts, and then start the motor.
Hi SteveInMD,
I agree with what you say about the official procedure, that the air should be bled from the lines by only cracking the nuts at the injectors. But that 'official procedure' alone is not enough to get my engine started.

Cheers.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2016, 10:38   #47

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I've been a mechanic a long time, Master of Technology cert with H.D., it's not the first time strange unexplained crap like this has happened to me but it rubs me badly.
Now, the Master Mechanic OP has just go my goat for being an offensive, ignorant, loud-mouthed oaf on another thread, but I'll share my experience anyway in case it help someone else.

Two years ago we were on five day passage across the Bay of Biscay enjoying fantastic 20 knot winds on the beam for the whole passage and were about halfway across, when my nephew asked if there was anything he could do to help. Yes there was, I said, he could service the genset, as it was about due. It's an easy job, as the genset is right up in the cockpit and everything is very accessable and the job takes about twenty minutes. My nephew is a useful lad to have around. He's a strong as an ox, an A-star student and extremely practical; at the age of 16 he stripped and rebuilt a Landrover and so, at the age of 22 knows a thing or two about engines.

So he set to work and had the service completed in about twenty minutes. Of course you know what happened, the engine wouldn't start. Now bearing in mind that my boat is a Hybrid diesel-electric and soley dependent on the genset for propulsion and electric power this was mildly concerning midway through a five-day passage. So I asked my nephew to check that he'd done everything correctly, which he did, very methodically with the help of my brother, who is also a very useful guy to have around, having completed three Transatlantics and worked all his life in practical jobs. The genset diagnostics were reporting strange errors that made no sense at all. So they started looking for other issues that might have coincidentally occured at that point in time. No joy.

Now, I knew for a fact that the problem was caused by something my nephew had done during the service, but I didn't know what as it had never happened to me. Being a sensitive sort of guy I didn't want undermine my nephew in front of his Dad, so I said fine, we'll go into low-energy mode and eak out our battery power for the next two and a half days, knowing that at first light next morning I'd be on watch on my own and would have the chance to track down the fault. If I'd been an offensive, ignorant, loud-mouthed oaf I might have thrown my toys out of the pram and made my nephew look an idiot, but I didn't because I'm nice.

Next morning, I completely repeated the service from start to finish looking for possible causes and lo-and-behold I found a possible cause. I found that the seal on the Volvo Penta fuel filter could go on one of two ways, both looked fine but one way didn't feel quite right. If I'd been an an offensive, ignorant, loud-mouthed master mechanic I might have woken the whole boat with cries of Eureka, but I didn't I put it back together as I had found it. When my nephew emerged from his bunk some hours later, I said to him let's have another go together. And it was good to work with him in the morning sun calmly and methodically checking everything. When we came to the fuel filter I casually said to him to check that the seal was the right way up and it was him that made the discovery that it could go two ways and one felt right, but the other didn't. We put everythng back together and the engine started first time. Everyone was happy and it was all the fault of the stupid people at Volvo Penta who designed a seal that could go on two ways, only one of which worked.

The OP (you remember, the master mechanic) has a Racor fuel filter, which isn't the same as a Volvo Penta, but some of their designs are very similar. Let's just say the OP put a seal on the wrong way up and let's just say twenty four hours later, whilst pulling his hair out and enlisting the support of the whole CF community he inadvertently put it back on the right way after the umpteenth time. What might happen?
Quote:
OK, engine is RUNNING! why? I don't have a damn clue.
No, Stinky, you wouldn't would you.
Quote:
I've been a mechanic a long time, Master of Technology cert with H.D., it's not the first time strange unexplained crap like this has happened to me but it rubs me badly. As a mechanic I have to know why? What? will it repeat? What failed?
You did Stinky, you did.

But strangely Stinky, you feel entitled to say that others have lost their credibility over something you know nothing about:
Quote:
Electricans work with one hand in their pockets? HA HA HA you just lost all credibility.
Quote:
HA HA HA what ever man. You've been had on by who ever told you such nonsense. It's a good one though, I'll use it on the next electrical sexual intellectual I run in to. LOL
Perhaps the OP should think a bit before he presses Send, but then perhaps that would be a bit hard for someone who has posted 542 times since joining CF in March.

Chris
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 07:24   #48

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octopus View Post
Perhaps the OP should think a bit before he presses Send, but then perhaps that would be a bit hard for someone who has posted 542 times since joining CF in March.
Perhaps you should have thought twice before posting too, as you come across sounding just like the type of person you're accusing the OP of being. I'm sure you're not like that, of course, possibly just having a bad day like we all do from time to time...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 08:09   #49

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

For what it's worth.

I worked on thousands of black boxes in the USAF, often with one hand in my pocket. Radar countermeasures systems with thousands of volts and hundreds of amps streaming about.

Some requiring the case to circulate a dielectric fluid throughout to prevent a total meltdown of the works. Amazing to see the internals reduced to a layer of glass in the the case bottom at times.

"Cause I got one hand in my pocket and the other one is giving a peace sign." -Alanis Morissette
Old 29-11-2016, 08:15   #50

Boat: Lagoon 420 - Hull 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davidhoy View Post
Perhaps you should have thought twice before posting too, as you come across sounding just like the type of person you're accusing the OP of being. I'm sure you're not like that, of course, possibly just having a bad day like we all do from time to time...
Fair comment.

Apologies one and all. If I could edit the story to take out the barbs then I would.
Octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:19   #51

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Fair comment.

Apologies one and all. If I could edit the story to take out the barbs then I would.

Take a real man to admit a mistake, good on you!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2016, 09:37   #52

Quote:
Fair comment.

Aww dont do that. Your post shows what an asshat you really are.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 14:33   #53

Boat: Moana 33

What an excellent, helpful thread (if we ignore the nasties at the end that folks have apologised for). Having just replaced my broken mechanical lift pump with electric, and stupidly replaced both filters and the fuel line at the same time, now my 2 cylinder Lombardini/Nencini won't fire and this thread has given me lots of insight and lots of things to check and re-check - many thanks CF.
NevisDog is offline   Reply With Quote