Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2016, 04:28   #16

re: Yanmar 2QM15 won't start.

Can you hear the injectors squeak when the engine is turned over by Hand at 100% Throttle ?
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 04:32   #17

Can you hear the injectors squeak when the engine is turned over by Hand ??
shakey doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampabayfireman View Post
How dirty was the filters? Racors have that little metal ball in bottom of swirl separator that if a glob of goo broke off would stop the flow. Also did u change the o ring on the stem of the racor
little ball? not in this unit. and yes, oring changed.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 08:47   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakey doug View Post
Can you hear the injectors squeak when the engine is turned over by Hand ??
No have not attempted that. a squeak from injector indicates what?
Old 21-10-2016, 08:50   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampabayfireman View Post
Other possible is did u get old Gasket off yanmar filter housing. If u missed that u would not get it to move fuel
old filter gasket was removed. I'm getting good fuel flow right up to the injectors. I,m about positive its injectors now, nothing else makes sense.........then again its a boat.
Old 21-10-2016, 12:18   #21

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Does it run on starting fluid, WD40, or diesel sprayed into the intake while turning it over? If so, it might be the injectors (but I'd bet not). If not, then maybe it's something to do with the shutdown, governor or filters, as noted previously. That it ran with no problems, and then suddenly didn't, suggests something simple that you're just overlooking...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 12:59   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Does it run on starting fluid, WD40, or diesel sprayed into the intake while turning it over? If so, it might be the injectors (but I'd bet not). If not, then maybe it's something to do with the shutdown, governor or filters, as noted previously. That it ran with no problems, and then suddenly didn't, suggests something simple that you're just overlooking...
I hate starter fluid, but broke down and gave it a half second shot, engine fired and died.
Old 21-10-2016, 13:16   #23

OK, engine is RUNNING! why? I don't have a damn clue. I started looking at injector pump, cracked fuel feed line, no presssure? wtf? I have pressure at injectors, yes, but I always bleed injectors on return side, works fine. But when I actually cracked the fuel feed line at injectors, no pressure, WTF? feed line=no, return line=yes. I went back to engine mounted fuel filter, cracked feed side line=no, cracked return line=yes. The only thing I changed was the filter here so I swapped out another new one, different brand (wix) bleed system, motor fired up like it was no big deal. WTF? A filter is a simple little thing, can't find anything different between the two and I dont think there is. A gremlin? he jumpin the first filter change and jumped out on the second?
I've been a mechanic a long time, Master of Technology cert with H.D., it's not the first time strange unexplained crap like this has happened to me but it rubs me badly. As a mechanic I have to know why? What? will it repeat? What failed? and I find nothing here. She runs as well as she ever did so.....off we go! Thanks for all the help here, as always, when I get advice from you folks, it keeps my wheels turning and I decided to go beyond what I "know" it can't be to "it could be anything or everything.
Thanks everybody! I love this site.
Old 21-10-2016, 13:29   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Won't start.

What kind of filter body do you have?
I started to be an ass and ask earlier if you removed the plastic from the filter when you installed it but figured you may not be in the mood for a joke.
And yes trouble shooting begins with most likely and eventually goes to it's not possible, like how many times have you gotten a bad part and then hours later decide to change it again, but you know it can't be bad, it's new!
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 13:33   #25

Boat: modified Spray 56' oa

That squeek/clik of the activated injector tip is easy to hear with hand cranking ,not so much with starter noise. but a good diagnoses tool.
topmast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 14:42   #26

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

Surprised it hit all 3
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 15:53   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
What kind of filter body do you have?
I started to be an ass and ask earlier if you removed the plastic from the filter when you installed it but figured you may not be in the mood for a joke.
And yes trouble shooting begins with most likely and eventually goes to it's not possible, like how many times have you gotten a bad part and then hours later decide to change it again, but you know it can't be bad, it's new!
HA HA, so very true about parts and knowing the new could not be bad, been their many times with H.D. ignition coils. My first filter is a single Racor, filter r24s, second filter is Yanmar stock small, engine mounted, that's the one I changed again. The first filter I installed was a Hasting's ff880, no start, then installed the Wix (dont have #) and engine runs. I can't see any difference except that the Hastings has more pleats, thus more filter suface.
Old 21-10-2016, 15:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmast View Post
That squeek/clik of the activated injector tip is easy to hear with hand cranking ,not so much with starter noise. but a good diagnoses tool.
Awesome, good to know this kind of tip. Thanks for that!

I'm thinking that would be one difference between a mechanical injector and the electric type I'm used to working with, correct?
Old 21-10-2016, 16:04   #29

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

What version of the racor do u have?
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 16:06   #30

Did you fill up the racor to the top after installing the new filter? I always do that, but mostly because sometimes the engine would run for a few minutes and then die after new fuel filters. I'm not sure your pump will fill the Racor if the top is tight and the fuel has no where to go.... If you cracked at the right place that allowed your pump to fill up your racor.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote