Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2011, 00:04   #1

Boat: 1970 BUCHAN 37'
Waking Up an Isuzu Pisces Diesel

I have found out what kind of diesel engine I have, its an Isuzu Pisces Diesel, probably a 27 or 30 HP. I have replaced the starter and shorted it to test whether it cranked. The engine starter definately works, its brand new, but it didn't crank over the engine. I am afraid shes siezed. What are the steps to unsiezing a diesel, she ran recently she has brand new coolant, the oil looks fresh. I am already going to of course replace both the oil and diesel, after I treat the tanks. She has a hand crank on the front of her. Help me out here. I feel like I can get her to run.
OLDSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 00:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: WAKING UP A ISUZU PISCES DIESEL

Will she turn over by hand with a big spanner on the crank?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 00:22   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

get a big wrench on the nut on the front pully,apply pressure,use a bit of tube for more torque,if she still wount budge,take out the injectors and get some wd 40 and diesel in the tops of the cylinders let this sit a few days then try again
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 00:33   #4
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

This is a great Engine I have a Isuzu in my Dive boat- be very careful turning it over with a wrench if its frozen you could break a ring and have a real head ache- Try turning it over with light pressure , if that does not work pull the injector and use Marvel mystery oil , it’s better than WD 40 for this-pour in a few ozs per cylender or try some PB Blaster - let it sit a few days and then with the injectors out put that wrench on it and turn it over- once it moves make sure you turn it over enough to get any oil out ! Good Luck !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 11:12   #5

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Re: Waking Up an Isuzu Pisces Diesel

I did the miniature version of this on an outboard, and I can verify that mmo and pb blaster are wonder drugs for engines. I managed to get my outboard to turn by pulling the head off and tapping the pistons directly with a soft chunk of wood and a mallet. This probably would not be practical on your diesel.

Realize that it might not be good to run your engine even if you get it un-seized. Naysayers and mechanics alike told me that it would ruin my compression within a few hours of operation, it didn't, though.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 11:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
This is a great Engine I have a Isuzu in my Dive boat- be very careful turning it over with a wrench if its frozen you could break a ring and have a real head ache- Try turning it over with light pressure , if that does not work pull the injector and use Marvel mystery oil , it’s better than WD 40 for this-pour in a few ozs per cylender or try some PB Blaster - let it sit a few days and then with the injectors out put that wrench on it and turn it over- once it moves make sure you turn it over enough to get any oil out ! Good Luck !
Ram, I have the C240 (55hp) version and have been looking for a shop manual (the holy grail of diesel mechanics). Do you know where to find one? If you have one yourself, I would pay you to get it copied.
Old 23-02-2011, 12:07   #7

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Ram, I have the C240 (55hp) version and have been looking for a shop manual (the holy grail of diesel mechanics). Do you know where to find one? If you have one yourself, I would pay you to get it copied.
Try E-Bay. I have seen a few on there along with engine rebuild kits.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2011, 20:08   #8

WOW!! YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!! I have yet to try anything suggested as I still do not have a wrench that is big enough for the front crank bolt, I will be picking that up this week. I need to undo the injectors as well but that is a separate issue. I will have a lot of things to try before I give up. Anyone know where the Oil pans are in these things, I am supposed to drain it out, suck it out with the speed bleeder.
Old 24-02-2011, 08:25   #9
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I wish I knew, I used to have one but have not seen it in more than 10 years- good luck - post it if you find one !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:00   #10
e-4

I have a friend Beriley in Staurt,he had the same problem.He took apart the engine,and when removing the engine out of the boat, it was actually the damper plate between the transmission and engine.
e-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 15:09   #11

How many cylinders came on the 27HP Pisces? I have found one that had two cylinders but mine has four, could I have a 40HP>?(that doesn;t work currently)

Okay, So now what?

I have had a mechanic come out to the boat. He started out shorting the starter as I had done previously. The sound of the starter, but no movement. Then the gentleman went aft of the motor to check the shaft to ensure it was able to be turned manually. Then he started trying to turn over the engine by hand with the wrench. Then he took off the injectors, and tried to scope down into the engine, as the hypothesis that the engine maybe filled with water in the bottom, but there was piece of metal blocking the tunnel. My friend has offered the opinion that if water had been in the engine that there would be pitting and that even if I can get it started it wont work for long. Then he proceeded to try moving the engine manually again, including standing on top of the wrench. Still no movement. I then asked regarding the loosening of the injectors by corrosionX and PB blaster, along with the marvelous marvel mystery oil. So we decided to do that and let it sit for a few days. We hit it with both PB and the CorrosionX, next the oil!!
Old 23-12-2013, 17:41   #12

Boat: 34' O'Day

online manuals - SailboatOwners.com

This is a link to a page I found with MANY marine engine manuals including the Pisces
youngncruisin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel