Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2013, 06:54   #16

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Volvo Penta MD2030D Coolant Loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcrest View Post
You dont happen to who built the motor for the volvo 2003t
Volvo built that one themselves. Your only source for parts that I know is Volvo.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:58   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: VOLVO PENTA MD2030D COOLANT LOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Hi Mark,
Took me some time to get to the boat and check everything out but the result is disappointing in the sense that there seems to be nothing wrong with the brass heat exchanger tube assembly nor with the clamps or rubber boots. There is not a drop of liquid in these parts when I fill up the coolant tank. The liquid just flows through somewhere else right into the exhaust manifold. Could a blown head gasket be the culprit? But then again is that possible at this rate and without any water in the oil?
Thanks for your attention
Emile
I don't quite understand. If you fill up the coolant tank, coolant should certainly be in one side of the boot. If you are filling the tank and it is never getting full, then that is a completely different problem and I don't know where it is going.

If a braze is bad on one or more tubes in the assembly or one of the tubes is cracked, that would allow coolant to cross into the raw water side.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 07:08   #18

I have just overhauled my 2040, and i think it has to be pretty simple!

Try to screw of the hose between heatexchangerhousing and manifold, and fill coolant in, if the coolant comes out from the housing, then it is the connection between rubber and heatexchanger OR a brooken exchanger, which costs allmost as much as a small plane 😳
If the coolant still comes out from the manifold, then you have a blown gasket between engine block and heat exchangerhousing. I would say, it cannot be the head gasket, because the thermostat will be closed when engine is cold, not letting the oolant in the housing run out. Check it immidiately! If the gasket is blown, the oolant can run into the cylinders...
jesperht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 06:39   #19

Boat: BAVARIA 38 CRUISER
Re: VOLVO PENTA MD2030D COOLANT LOSS

Hi everybody,

Finally I dismounted half of the engine and found a 1/2 inch hole in the aluminum heat exchanger housing near the iron cast exhaust elbow. That solves the mystery but carries a $1000 price tag for an original replacement part (a lot of money if you consider the price tag of a whole refitted engine). Anyway it would be unwise and unsafe to try to repair this as there probably are other corroded places in the housing just waiting to go south as well. The previous owner apparently didn't look well after his engine...
Nevertheless there seems to be no other damage, which is quite fortunate given the circumstances .
Thanks to all of you for your help and attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Hi Mark,
Took me some time to get to the boat and check everything out but the result is disappointing in the sense that there seems to be nothing wrong with the brass heat exchanger tube assembly nor with the clamps or rubber boots. There is not a drop of liquid in these parts when I fill up the coolant tank. The liquid just flows through somewhere else right into the exhaust manifold. Could a blown head gasket be the culprit? But then again is that possible at this rate and without any water in the oil?
Thanks for your attention
Emile
Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, md2030, paracelle, penta, volvo