Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2022, 04:47   #1

Volvo Penta D2-55 starting issue.

I have a 2007 Bavaria 42 Cruiser. A new EVC control unit (black box)was fitted following intermittent starting problems. This has now returned. Occasionally when starting I can hear what I assume is the solenoid engaging but the engine doesn't crank. The battery are fully charged, the connections at the starter motor are in pristine condition and after 2 or 3 presses of the starter button, the engine cranks and the engine starts with no problem. I've started to suspect that the EVC starter unit, which is mounted in the cockpit, may be at fault with the push button to start perhaps corroded. Can anyone comment on this problem?
Thanks.
Carrick Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 05:59   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Volvo Penta D2-55 starting issue.

If you can access the back of the EVC unit in the cockpit it would be best to try starting by shorting the contacts at the back of the EVC unit. That way you know for sure if your suspicion is correct.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:04   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrick Blue View Post
[I]... after 2 or 3 presses of the starter button, the engine cranks and the engine starts with no problem. ...
Thanks.
This is consistent with a tired starter motor, including its on-board solenoid. I have had to replace VP starter push button, but this doesn't sound like that.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2022, 06:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Bridging just past the EVC isolates the problem to upstream of that point, which includes the EVC and the switch. Bridging the switch takes it the rest of the way. The switch or the wires/connections between the battery to switch to EVC are good bets, since having two EVCs fail the same way right on time is not likely.

Good luck with it.

Tags
penta, volvo