Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2018, 05:24   #1

Volvo overheating ???

Have an md11c raw water cooled that is new to us. Had water in the oil , replaced a few parts and cured. But the temp gauge isn't working and engine seems to run hot so put an infra red temp gun on the cylinder head and found reading of 230f and 190 on the manifold . No smoke but seems hot or is that normal right at the head ? Also steams a little at higher speeds
goboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 06:42   #2

Boat: Beneteau first 26
Re: Volvo overheating ???

Your prespective is wrong ,you can't calculate the engine temperature measuring the outside temperature of the cylinder or the manifold temperature, I have work with engines working on 450 celcious on the exhaust manifold , you will have to measure the water temperature that come out of the cooling line ,and should be from 60 to 85 degrees Celsius depends on the manufacture standards . If you have lower temperature you need to fix your thermostat since low temperature can cause damage as high temperature as well.
Fix the hearing censor of the engine and proceed from there .
gmakhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:18   #3

Well right or wrong basically I was asking what the outside temp might be on the cylinder heads . Thermostat housing is very difficult to get to in my boat. And there doest seem to be enough water out the back of the boat . Appreciate you opinion though thanks . Most marine engines with raw water cooling will allow you to touch the cylinder. This one no way .
Old 19-04-2018, 07:22   #4

The thermostat should be fully open at 75c/168f. If you're steaming at high revs, you're too hot. I'd check for coolant blockage and/or a therm stuck partially open.
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:29   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew13440 View Post
The thermostat should be fully open at 75c/168f. If you're steaming at high revs, you're too hot. I'd check for coolant blockage and/or a therm stuck partially open.
I think it should be cooler than that for a raw water cooled engine. Our slightly later 2003 has two different temperature thermostats depending if the engine is raw or freshwater cooled.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 07:32   #6

Thanks drew that's next on the list...impeller cover was worn so flipped it around and now cleaning exhaust elbow but looks good ...they have some kind of valve union in the water injection line ...looks corroded but water came out of the line at the elbow
Old 19-04-2018, 07:32   #7

Book says 170 to 185
Old 19-04-2018, 07:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboats View Post
Well right or wrong basically I was asking what the outside temp might be on the cylinder heads . Thermostat housing is very difficult to get to in my boat. And there doest seem to be enough water out the back of the boat . Appreciate you opinion though thanks . Most marine engines with raw water cooling will allow you to touch the cylinder. This one no way .
You can't calculate the outside temperature, it varies from engine to engine and from load to load , the water temperature should be under 85 c .
If you can touch the cylinder head the engine is definitely overcooled and that's as bad as being overheated if not worse .
What do you mean thermostat housing is verry difficult?
You can try to clean the hole system by running the engine and supply her water intake from a basket with fresh water and backing soda to clean the silancier and the lines.
If you have issues with the thermostat you should solve them and I am telling you that as a licensed marine engineer (work in tankers)
If your thermostat is broken and the spare part is too expensive for you you can fit an Chinese one on your engine ,the process is as difficult as changing an impeller.
You can solve the issue other way and get your engine to "work" but will be for.little time and unsafe if you relay on it.
Old 19-04-2018, 07:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I think it should be cooler than that for a raw water cooled engine. Our slightly later 2003 has two different temperature thermostats depending if the engine is raw or freshwater cooled.

Pete
Interesting. OP's engine manual is online and contains the thermostat specs, though. Page 29 -

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/10...page=29#manual
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:56   #10

There is a chance that the previous owner simply removed the thermostat thinking the engine would run cooler. If the MD11 is like the smaller MD7, removing the thermostat will allow water to flow out the exhaust without circulating thru the rest of the engine. I dont remember the details, but there was a passage that could be closed off to get the water to flow thru the whole engine without the thermostat. Just something to keep in mind. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2018, 08:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
There is a chance that the previous owner simply removed the thermostat thinking the engine would run cooler. If the MD11 is like the smaller MD7, removing the thermostat will allow water to flow out the exhaust without circulating thru the rest of the engine. I dont remember the details, but there was a passage that could be closed off to get the water to flow thru the whole engine without the thermostat. Just something to keep in mind. _____Grant.
You are right thermostat is like a 3 way valve , putting water in cylinder and bypassing to the exchaust manifold the rest . Same on md5
Old 19-04-2018, 09:42   #12

Ya good advise thats ..what i meant was thermostats housing is very hard to reach on the boat...looks like one head is hotter than the other so might be plugged
Old 19-04-2018, 09:50   #13

Thanks drew great link
Old 19-04-2018, 09:53   #14

Thanks grant good point...will look at a bypass when I check the thermostat...there or not
Old 19-04-2018, 10:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboats View Post
Ya good advise thats ..what i meant was thermostats housing is very hard to reach on the boat...looks like one head is hotter than the other so might be plugged
It can mean that one head doesn't work as well or have low compression or clogged injector.

Tags
heating, overheating, volvo