Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2023, 15:30   #1

Volvo MD1B - remove damping plate or taper pin?

Hi folks,

I'm working on a new to me Westerly Nomad that has a MD1B fitted. Things are pretty tight and in order to service / remove the bilge pump I need to back the prop shaft off so it can be pulled out.

What's the best approach here? The outer nuts on the coupling for the dampers seem to be the most accessible, but I wanted to avoid 'disturbing' them in case there are alignment issues when I put it back together. The inner bolts are a bit harder to access but could be possible to do the forward set without dropping anything in the bilge - which is currently a nasty mess.

The taper pin I haven't touched but assume it would need quite a wack on the thin side with a punch (keeping the nut in place as not to damage the threads) but that doesn't mean the shaft will slide out easily. Or that the pin will make it out and be reusable again. Everything was well maintained (if a bit disorganized now) and there isn't a trace of rust or corrosion, in fact, I can still see grease where the shaft goes into the coupling...

How would you tackle this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-05-30 at 6.21.34 PM.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	276045  
tworail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 10:36   #2

Re: Volvo MD1B - remove damping plate or taper pin?

I would go for the inner 4 bolts which hold the prop shaft taper pin coupling onto the flex coupling. A little more difficult, but that way there is no chance of tearing one of the rubber elements.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:15   #3

Re: Volvo MD1B - remove damping plate or taper pin?

If it was me, and I had it apart anyway, I'd replace the rubber inserts as a matter of course. They are not forever, and are not expensive.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
volvo