Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 08:29   #1

Boat: Island Packet, IP 31, 34.4 LOA
Transmissions Problem...

I'm sure this has been asked before but here goes....

We have a 1985 IP 31 which is new-ish to us. Yesterday when we engaged the forward drive, the whole engine started to shake violently. Reverse would not engage. When I looked at it I noticed that the shaft was spinning in the correct direction, forward and reverse. but no propulsion. Upon checking the transmission fluid I found very little, clear-ish fluid at the bottom, so I filled it with a universal transmission fluid that the PO had on board. After filling it it seemed to run better, but I'm sure we caused some sort of damage as it still shakes a little and will have it checked out, but my question is: Where could the transmission fluid have gone to? would it have burned up or dripped somewhere? I did not notice any leaks, and I didn't see any fluid in the bilge.

Thanks for any replies.
miketaz25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
transmission