Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 08:50   #31

Boat: Corbin 39
Re: This is leaking I don't kbow name of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
1. What ripped the bellows?

2. How old were the bellows?

3. The stuffing box still has a rubber hose!
A different rubber hose on a stuffing box, wire reinforced compared to just 0.125" rubber of the dripless bellows.
MalteseFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 08:56   #32

Boat: Catalina 30

At the risk of incurring the distain of those that are 'Holier than I'...

We have a 1985 Catalina 30, our first with an inboard. I understand what a stuffing box is, but I can't figure out how to get to it. What I think is the stuffing box seems to be under the transmission (Zoom in on the shadow in second pic), I don't know what the hose is for. And NO, I do not think it has been attended to in several (30?) years.... (The boat is new to us.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180127_105810.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	171489   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180127_105804.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	429.6 KB
ID:	171490  

OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 09:22   #33

I had a similar issue where the two hose clamps would slip down on the drive shaft which would lead to less pressure on the bellows and of course spray/leaks when spinning. I went on EBay and purchased a “split “ stainless steel ring for my size of prop shaft. You tighten a pair of set screws on the ring and “voila” no more leaks. The zinc previously mentioned also accomplishes the same thing.
windcastle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 10:02   #34

It is PSS and every once in a while it needs cleaning in between the collar
with fine sand paper and will leak a little when you put fine sand paper in between the 2 ollars and as you put sand paper in between rotate the whole thing letting the sand paper clean anyminor pitting in between.
I think got the info from PSS any they will show all needed info.
Nick
Seadaddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 13:41   #35

Boat: dudley dix steel gaff schooner 60

https://waggonerguide.com/dripless-s...ntenance-free/
skipperdiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 13:08   #36

Boat: C&C 38 Landfall (1983 vintage)

It is important to understand that when adjusting the position of the collar on the shaft, that normally there are two sets of set screws. There is an inner set screw that tightens onto the shaft and an outer set screw that locks the inner set screw. Don’t just loosen the outer one and expect anything to be different.
DainyRays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 15:44   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post

We have a 1985 Catalina 30, our first with an inboard. I understand what a stuffing box is, but I can't figure out how to get to it. What I think is the stuffing box seems to be under the transmission (Zoom in on the shadow in second pic), I don't know what the hose is for. And NO, I do not think it has been attended to in several (30?) years.... (The boat is new to us.)
Oh, man, the boat is new to you and this indeed is the rubber hose (for flex/vibration/seal of packing gland/nut (stuffing box) to the hull. The hose looks ripe (but at least clamps look good) and indeed the gland and nut are under the transmission making packing change and nut tightening a nightmare. I would check for a service manual or help from a Catalina user group as to how they manage to service this. For me, I would be looking at replacing the hose and clamps (despite their good appearance - I've heard of people tightening them one more notch and then their braking!), get the packing nut off and dig out the old packing. You'll need to know what the packing size is (i.e. 1/4 x 1/4) and the number of rings (often 3). I like the plain old flax and wax packing as I have poor luck with the modern graphite or Teflon types which tend to leak too much whereas the flax absorbs the water, swells, and seals better - but then the wax is all gone after a few seasons and you need to replace it as continued tightening just leads to a scored shaft. A properly tightened packing should leak a couple drops per minute when rotating. After replacing the packing the nut will have to be readjusted perhaps a couple of times as the packing wears in and compresses further such that you maintain the 2 drops per minute. Without this minor leakage the coupling will heat up and the wax simply melt and run out leaving just the dry fibers. Therefore don't overtighten the packing and just check to ensure minor leakage (which is unlikely to be any kind of an issue at 2 drips per minute!). Have fun!
jz5w63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 15:55   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Ty View Post
I'm trying to figure out what this is so I can replace it or if I have to replace it I managed to tighten the clamps and it seems like its not leaking . also what causes this too happen ? Attachment 171087
You know, since you are really new to this type of shaft sealing device (in pump language - it's a mechanical seal) with two parallel faces one of which is hard and the other is self lubricating like carbon. The faces must be clean, aligned and not grooved or leakage will occur. There is always a film of water in between the faces which vaporizes due to friction and spinning action. Sometimes they will leak upon startup after sitting a long time but then seat themselves and be fine. This condition gets worse with age. I'd have a boat mechanic/tech person or other sailor completely familiar with this PSS check it and adjust it for you while you watch and learn. He should be able to tell why it is leaking (seal faces or bellows) and replace/adjust everything so it is up to snuff. Like others have said, don't mess with this as many a boat has sunk when the packing catastrophically let go or separated or the bellow/hose split or came off. A small leak is not a great immediate issue but can quickly lead to one so do yourself a favor and get it checked out. Before you go on any extended cruise you should immerse yourself in the boat manuals and know absolutely everything you can about your vessel because once under sail you are your own destiny and there is no mechanic around the corner except you! Be smart, be safe!
jz5w63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 16:25   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post

I was "there" 20 years ago when we bought this boat, first inboard. I learned.

The Catalina 30 manual is much like the one for our C34. It has a splendid description of how the thing works. Here's ours:

Tech Wiki – Catalina 34 International Association

Click on the Mark I manual and either download or read it, there's a section on the stuffing box, actually maybe one page, but it's very good.

You should be able to "score" a C30 manual from the internet, lord knows there are altogether too many different C30 websites and Yahoo &/or Google groups.

and this article I wrote in 1999:

Tech Wiki – Catalina 34 International Association
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 16:28   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Ty View Post
It only leaks when under way I screwed the collar tight and its not leaking any more but I will replace as soon as I have funds thank you (:

I think the snarkiness is from concern about you and the safety of both you & your boat.

Funds? We've all been there, but you really have to learn to prioritize.

What's your entire boat worth to you? For a few hundred dollars? Really...

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 21:43   #41

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by captstu View Post
People who ask for help on this forum deserve polite help or silence.

Word. Right on, Stu. Not everybody is a nautical genius when they buy their first boat, and nobody should ever be discouraged from asking "stupid" questions. Guy is here to learn something. I got way more respect for someone like that than for some ignoramus who just ignores the problem until he has to call sea tow on his cell phone.
Old 11-09-2018, 03:15   #42

Boat: Swarbrick 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by er9 View Post
at the risk of hijacking this post...is there a way to do any type of emergency seal around the bellow, shaft if there was a sudden major leak? a crap load of that silicone emergency tape?
Here you go. In an emergency you can seal it with a bike tube. assuming you have one handy.
https://youtu.be/wOs5OAWgttc