Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2017, 14:04   #16
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Re: The Power of sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
All the above, plus check all your grounds, especially the ground between the starter and the block (where it bolts on). The faster the starter turns the engine over the easier it starts...sitting unused for years lets resistance-creating corrosion build up anywhere there is an environment conducive to its growth...
While I have yet to see this in a boat diesel, I have had a situation with a diesel engine that did not turn over fast enough to start. It turned over just fine but just did not start. An increase in speed fixed that issue.
A lot of people don't understand this but when you think about it, it makes sense ....
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 17:28   #17

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

I suggest you check the fuel filters and the fuel lines. I have experienced two older boats where the horizontal run from tank to engine was completely clogged with a sandy deposit that I believe was organic growth. The sort of thing Bio-bore is supposed to eliminate. I also had two lines crack from age. One let air into the pump the other let fuel into the bilge.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 17:39   #18

Nobody has said it but,,,,after they sit sometimes the cly will rust up a bit... then you spin it over & it just scars the cly walls up & that leads to low compression which makes for a hard start...worth checking
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 18:37   #19

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
I have owned several boats that sat on the hard unused, for up to 5 years.

Do an oil change. Go on a trip and run the engine for 24 hours straight. Then another oil change. This has always worked wonders for my engines...diesel, gasoline, and atomic 4. Especially Atomic 4.
X2. Oil change and fuel change or polish. I agree with running the engine before making any major or costly changes. Could work wonders.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 21:16   #20

I hate to suggest the possibility of poor compression but its a possible explanation and you could do/have done a compression test to eliminate or confirm the possibility.
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 21:26   #21

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

I had 3 glow plugs on an m25 that all tested just fine. I had already put a relay in so the plugs were fed by a short run, low gauge wire. Replaced the glow plugs anyway (find the equivalent part number and get them from a local kubota dealer for about 80-90% less than Universal). Hard starting became a thing of the past.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 07:04   #22

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
You need to do an Italian tune up.

Pete
What is an Italian tune up ?
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 15:31   #23

Boat: 1989 C&C 37R

Thanks Everyone for the insight. So many culprits that affect a diesels performance. For now I think we will start with the most common suggestion through the 20+ posts so far which is get rid of the fuel. She has sat for a while so I am sure a good solid running in of the motor with fresh fuel will solve alot. I will also check the glow plug resistance and supply voltage.
TKS
James
Ocean Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 04:25   #24

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Phoenix View Post
So…. we all agree that sailing is not only the best way to boat but also the most economical.
Aw, c'mon. You can't expect me to let that statement stand!

The comments about fresh fuel are correct. To expand on that, probably 90% of the auxiliary engine failures I've seen on sailboats follow the same pattern.

Your fuel is rarely used, if you're truly sailing. Bugs (bio-fouling) and sediments are stirred up by a brisk day sail. Motoring back in, the stirred-up sediment eventually clogs the filter. Right around the time the boat is approaching a lift bridge or some other immovable hazard.

It happens with frightening regularity. I've seen boats dismasted by a bridge, and I've pulled people off a boat being heeled over by the current, with the mast stuck on a bridge. Always the same cause.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 05:58   #25

Boat: 1989 C&C 37R

That's a great comment! It is very true. I don't want to be that person atempting to gain control of a stalled out vessel especialy in a crowded mooring field or like mentioned, near a bridge. We have seen many locks in the Erie canal... could not imagine loosing power near one of them and floating into the slew gates. Great post Capt Tom!!
Ocean Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing