Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2020, 11:15   #76

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Switched to Renewable Diesel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsementi View Post
Too bad the world is afraid of nuclear power. The cleanest, safest, cheapest on record. And they can make them super small. Size of a fridge.
If it is the size of a college dorm fridge, aka the 1.7 cu foot model, I'll take one! Do you think my marina will have an issue with me doing my own work on it? Will the fuel dock be able to service me every ten years, and is there a core charge?
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 11:41   #77

Boat: dreaming of a Mac 65

Hahahaha army Dave! Yes to all of your questions. And they used the spent fuel from big nuke plants too.
rsementi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 11:58   #78

Quote:
Hahahaha army Dave! Yes to all of your questions. And they used the spent fuel from big nuke plants too.
Yea! That takes care of part three of the reduce, reuse, and recycle mantra!
Old 18-02-2020, 19:24   #79

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Too bad the world is afraid of nuclear power. The cleanest, safest, cheapest on record. And they can make them super small. Size of a fridge.
Interesting note about small nukes: our government is now loading Low yield nuke tips on Subs, say 1/3 of the power of Hiroshima
And IMHO the WORLD should Rightly be afraid of a FIRE you cannot put out if it gets out of control.
Seems pretty simple.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 19:57   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatyarddog View Post
Interesting note about small nukes: our government is now loading Low yield nuke tips on Subs, say 1/3 of the power of Hiroshima
And IMHO the WORLD should Rightly be afraid of a FIRE you cannot put out if it gets out of control.
Seems pretty simple.
SV Cloud Duster
See, less is more!! Actually, I may not order the small nuke and wait instead for the matter anti-matter drive. The only concern is that Scotty seems to have a semi-constant issue with the matter anti-matter shield and it always seems that the estimate for fixing it is two weeks.
Old 18-02-2020, 20:33   #81

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
See, less is more!! Actually, I may not order the small nuke and wait instead for the matter anti-matter drive. The only concern is that Scotty seems to have a semi-constant issue with the matter anti-matter shield and it always seems that the estimate for fixing it is two weeks.
Secret about Scotty, he works much better when given a very old well aged Votectan Whiskey
Cheers,
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 20:35   #82

Boat: Still building

OK, so long as no-one plies him with a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster....

that would:

A) confuse the **** out of him and
B) confuse the **** out of him
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 20:48   #83

Boat: Island Packet 40

I was going to knock one up as a DIY project but they've got so paranoid about things lately I decided not to go ahead because of the fuel scarcity problem. Maybe when we run short of renewable diesel they might ease up a bit.

My plan was to build it into the keel to solve the shielding problem and run the overboard discharge from the head through the reactor vessel to kill all the pathogens thereby solving the poo problem.

Ah well probably won't get to it now, I'm busy working on my multihull perpetual motion drive system. Water generator in one hull, connected to electric drive in the other. I'm having trouble getting a design for an energy multiplier so that I can recharge the lithiums as well as push the boat along after I get up to speed. It's looking very hopeful though.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2020, 21:41   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I was going to knock one up as a DIY project but they've got so paranoid about things lately I decided not to go ahead because of the fuel scarcity problem. Maybe when we run short of renewable diesel they might ease up a bit.

My plan was to build it into the keel to solve the shielding problem and run the overboard discharge from the head through the reactor vessel to kill all the pathogens thereby solving the poo problem.

Ah well probably won't get to it now, I'm busy working on my multihull perpetual motion drive system. Water generator in one hull, connected to electric drive in the other. I'm having trouble getting a design for an energy multiplier so that I can recharge the lithiums as well as push the boat along after I get up to speed. It's looking very hopeful though.
Very, very clever running it through the head. One thought, instead of the electric drive, can you use a caterpillar drive? It will let you run silent!

I still like the matter anti-matter drive. Instead of charging the lithiums, you can can use dilythium crystals. Speaking of DIY projects, I am trying to substitute Folger's crystals for dilithium crystals. I think they will be easier to source and the VAT should be an awful lot less!
Old 18-02-2020, 21:56   #85

Boat: Still building

What you guys *need* is a dose of Epsom Salts....
Buzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2020, 00:59   #86

I thought about a hydrodynamic drive but the Chinese have an export embargo on the rare earths I needed to knock up the super magnets. The infrastructure for high tech has gone to hell in a hand basket lately. Same with my wave action inertia wheel yacht drive. I put in an order for some million pound per square inch yield steel to turn up the wheels and the supplier replied that they no longer service that market.

Had a slight problem with the solar powered A model, connected up the solar panels and spent all day winding the wheel up and came back the next morning and the boat was upside down. Apparently there is a problem with gyroscopic action in free space and I set the precession adjustment backwards. Since my hull flexes a hell of a lot I decided wave action with piezolectrics embedded in the hull was a better solution. This innovating's a tough business mate.
Old 19-02-2020, 08:51   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I thought about a hydrodynamic drive but the Chinese have an export embargo on the rare earths I needed to knock up the super magnets. The infrastructure for high tech has gone to hell in a hand basket lately. Same with my wave action inertia wheel yacht drive. I put in an order for some million pound per square inch yield steel to turn up the wheels and the supplier replied that they no longer service that market.

Had a slight problem with the solar powered A model, connected up the solar panels and spent all day winding the wheel up and came back the next morning and the boat was upside down. Apparently there is a problem with gyroscopic action in free space and I set the precession adjustment backwards. Since my hull flexes a hell of a lot I decided wave action with piezolectrics embedded in the hull was a better solution. This innovating's a tough business mate.
Have you thought about using a Turbo Encabulator?
Old 19-02-2020, 10:36   #88

Not quiet ready to take on adaptation of the Turbo Encabulator to vessel propulsion yet as I'm still concerned with it's heavy reliance on hydrocarbon based fuels in manufacture. In addition I am still busy with an offshoot of the piezo power project.

One of the problems we encountered was helmsman disablement from stray voltages generated by rogue waves. After about the third or so near fatality we had serious problems getting crew to run the trials. We solved the problem by recruiting from tazar fetishist groups. We found that dressing them in rubber boots and gloves with three wet suits under a full covering of medieval mail armor with attached battery cable and grounding plate dragged behind the vessel alleviated the problem to some degree. Unfortunately this caused a few legal problems with fisheries and game. We expect to be out of the courts and back to our development program within a few months.

Thanks for the suggestion though, a very interesting gadget well presented.

Tags
diesel