Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2024, 02:45   #1

Swap Penta MSB gearbox for MS

Hello all, as the title says I'm wondering if it is possible to straight swap a Penta MSB gearbox for an MS?

I have an MD11C and the MSB gearbox no longer engages forwards after a meeting with some fishing net. I'm having problems getting anyone to repair it (assume it is something to do with the gear "cone" lining?) and MSB gearboxes seem to be non-existent.

I have found an MS however and from the MS/MSB manual there seems to be little to no difference apart from the gear ratio?

Anybody got any experience of this please?

Thanks so much!
Chollyfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 06:05   #2

Re: Swap Penta MSB gearbox for MS

The main difference between the models is in the shift cone and its matching gear “cups”. The MS gear used a brass cone engaging with steel gear cups....brass against steel.
The MSB used a steel cone which engaged with friction material lined gear cups. Most likely the problem which you are encountering is wear or damage to the friction material surface in the gear cup. Some owners have had success having the worn/damaged friction material replaced with new material.

Both models were available in two reduction ratios, 1:1 and 1.91:1, with the 1.91:1 being most of the production.

Other than having the reduction ratio remain the same, there is one other thing to be aware of in swapping transmissions, and that is the front gear case casting. These transmissions were used on engine models MD5,6,7,11, and 17.
Transmissions used on the 5,6,&7 had one bolt pattern in the front housing, and transmissions used on the 11 and 17 had a different bolt pattern. This has to be watched.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2024, 06:11   #3

Super helpful thankyou!

So as I understand the MD11C has an eccentric flange so if I find an MS with the same fitting it should be a stratight swap?

It seems having the MSB repaired will cost me the same or even more than a replacement MS or even MSB (if I could find one) as one of the tabs on the rear bell housing is broken so that would also need to be re placed - so I think it makes sense.

Would there be issues going from the 1.91:1 MSB ratio to the 1:1 MS ratio do you think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR View Post
The main difference between the models is in the shift cone and its matching gear “cups”. The MS gear used a brass cone engaging with steel gear cups....brass against steel.
The MSB used a steel cone which engaged with friction material lined gear cups. Most likely the problem which you are encountering is wear or damage to the friction material surface in the gear cup. Some owners have had success having the worn/damaged friction material replaced with new material.

Both models were available in two reduction ratios, 1:1 and 1.91:1, with the 1.91:1 being most of the production.

Other than having the reduction ratio remain the same, there is one other thing to be aware of in swapping transmissions, and that is the front gear case casting. These transmissions were used on engine models MD5,6,7,11, and 17.
Transmissions used on the 5,6,&7 had one bolt pattern in the front housing, and transmissions used on the 11 and 17 had a different bolt pattern. This has to be watched.
Old 12-01-2024, 08:40   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler

Hello - I have access to a used MS gear from a Volvo MD11C. I also have access to all parts needed to mount a Volvo MS2 gear to a Volvo MD11, or MD17.

Please contact me off list if interested. Joe
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2024, 08:52   #5

Hey thanks so much - I think you're US based correct? I'm in the UK so maybe logistically challenging.

I'm guessing both the MS and MS2 would require new props also as they will be different ratios? How complicated is conversion to an MS2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine man View Post
Hello - I have access to a used MS gear from a Volvo MD11C. I also have access to all parts needed to mount a Volvo MS2 gear to a Volvo MD11, or MD17.

Please contact me off list if interested. Joe
Old 12-01-2024, 15:57   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Albin 25 trawler

The MS gear is 1.91:1, the MS2, MS2B-A had 2.37 or 3.02 ratios. Conversion to an MS2 is simple, just bolt on the required parts. Joe
Engine man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2024, 03:29   #7

Thanks so much! I'll look into the conversion to an MS2 - might be my best option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine man View Post
The MS gear is 1.91:1, the MS2, MS2B-A had 2.37 or 3.02 ratios. Conversion to an MS2 is simple, just bolt on the required parts. Joe

Tags
gear, gearbox, penta