Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2014, 07:23   #1

Boat: Maverick 400/40ft
Stiff Teleflex MT-3 Controls

Ahoy, my starboard controller has gotten really stiff in both forward and reverse over the last few weeks. I've ordered replacement cables but before I bite off more than I can chew please confirm... Could it possibly not be the cable if it's smooth as silk in neutral but stiff in gear? Any advise appreciated.
Oliver

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Olivergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Stiff Teleflex MT-3 Controls

I think you are describing a single lever controller, that is one handle will shift from neutral to forward or reverse and that same handle pushed further will then control the speed? If that is the case then you have two Teleflex cables connected to each lever. One cable to the transmission to shift gears and one to the engine to control the throttle.

Depending on the system you can push a button or pull the lever out so you can have throttle only without shifting gear. If you can do that and the lever moves easily then you have isolated the problem to the shift side. That could be due to the cable, something in the handle itself, or the little shift lever on the transmission.

Most likely problem is the cable but you can test by process of elimination and how I would test it. First disconnect the cable where it connects to the transmission. Move the shift lever on the transmission by hand to see if it moves easily. Move the handle in the cockpit to see if it moves more easily. If the handle is still stiff and you can shift on the transmission by hand then you have eliminated the transmission as the problem. Next you can disconnect the cable at the handle end. Try to move the Teleflex cable by hand and again move the handle in the cockpit. If the handle now moves easily and the cable cannot be moved in/out by hand then it's the cable.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:50   #3

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivergm View Post
Ahoy, my starboard controller has gotten really stiff in both forward and reverse over the last few weeks. I've ordered replacement cables but before I bite off more than I can chew please confirm... Could it possibly not be the cable if it's smooth as silk in neutral but stiff in gear? Any advise appreciated.
Oliver

If I remember rightly, the MT3 has two cable-sets per controller. As it's a Morse type they'll be one cable-set for the throttle and one cable-set running to the gearbox. By what you've described it sounds like your throttle cable is ok and your gear-engage cable is either very corroded, poorly lubricated or both.

I'd check inside your helm-pedestal or wherever you've mounted the MT3, and check to see whether they are separate cables. It's also worth a check to make sure something isn't simply stuck in the handle mechanism and causing the problem.

If it's the case that your gear-cable is an issue, then follow all morse cables back to the engine and the gear-box to see if there's any reason for them being stiff. I would then disconnect the morse cable from the gearbox if possible and ensure that the root of the issues isn't due to the gearbox itself. Following the cables also may help determine whether there's a reason why the gear-cable is stiff and not the throttle. For example, the gear-cable may be routed through an area or passed on edge which has rubbed the casing of the cable and ruined it...

If you do determine that it's the cable itself which is the problem, then I'd recommend that you replace all of the cables, including the throttle one - as there's a chance they're all on their way out.

Good luck!
Old 09-06-2014, 07:52   #4

Boat: Maverick 400/40ft

It's a double control lever, for both engines of a sailing cat. I think it has two cables per side, I thought one for forward and one for reverse, but u must be correct - one throttle one gear.

Olivergm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:58   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivergm View Post
It's a double control lever, for both engines of a sailing cat. I think it has two cables per side, I thought one for forward and one for reverse, but u must be correct - one throttle one gear.

Two engines so two control handles at the helm but each control has to do two functions, shift gears and control the throttle. So each control will have two cables for a total of four Teleflex cables.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote