Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2014, 21:12   #1
Zai

Boat: 2011 Bavaria 36 Cruiser
Vetus Exhaust

I haver a Merry Fisher 655 with a 105hp Yanmar.
I would like to change the wet exhaust. The current exhaust is a VETUS plastic waterlock type LP75. With the boat purchase I recieved a new exhaust in the box. When I opened it I found that it was the next size up (105mm instead of 75mm)

Can anyone think of a reason it would not work to just weld a couple of adaptors in stainless or aluminum?

Any advice?
Zai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 22:10   #2

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: Vetus exhaust

If this is after the manifold, I would not think there would be any problem using a larger diameter exhaust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
I haver a Merry Fisher 655 with a 105hp Yanmar.
I would like to change the wet exhaust. The current exhaust is a VETUS plastic waterlock type LP75. With the boat purchase I recieved a new exhaust in the box. When I opened it I found that it was the next size up (105mm instead of 75mm)

Can anyone think of a reason it would not work to just weld a couple of adaptors in stainless or aluminum?

Any advice?
Old 08-06-2014, 15:42   #3

Boat: 1902 Dutch Tjalk, 64'

The next size up from the LP 75 is the LP 90 (90 mm / 3.5"). The LP 90 is what I have on my 90 HP Lehman, so it shouldn't be overkill on yours.

The only issue you might conceivably come across would be with bending the 3.5" hose. It's exponentially stiffer than the 3" (75 mm) you've got on there now.

Jacques
Neeltje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 15:47   #4

PS - I was assuming you intended to go with the 90 mm hose that fits the waterlock, but after re-reading your post, methinks I was assuming wrong.

Jacques
Old 08-06-2014, 22:01   #5
Zai

Re: Vetus Exhaust

I guess I have two sizes up then, as it is 100 mm.
Yesterday I was test fitting it and noticed what you are saying, so I think I will just weld the adapter to the correct angle.
The existing 75 mm hose goes through a hole in the bulkhead and then bends down at about a 45 degree angle. My thought is if I weld the correct angle it will save me the headache of bending either hose.
I will compare it to the original one more time, as I am a little concerned that if it is too much taller than the 75mm, it could be a problem. I am concerned that the height of the intake side will be too high and allow backwash into the motor?
Old 08-06-2014, 23:41   #6
Zai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neeltje View Post
The next size up from the LP 75 is the LP 90 (90 mm / 3.5"). The LP 90 is what I have on my 90 HP Lehman, so it shouldn't be overkill on yours.

The only issue you might conceivably come across would be with bending the 3.5" hose. It's exponentially stiffer than the 3" (75 mm) you've got on there now.

Jacques
After thinking (which allways comes after the fact ) I went out and actually looked at the exhaust and you are right it is an LP 90.

Also I found on the Defender web site installation instructions and it appears that both the 75 and 90 have the same physical dimensions.

Thanks for your post!
Old 09-06-2014, 02:53   #7

Re: Vetus Exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zai View Post
I guess I have two sizes up then, as it is 100 mm.
Yesterday I was test fitting it and noticed what you are saying, so I think I will just weld the adapter to the correct angle.
The existing 75 mm hose goes through a hole in the bulkhead and then bends down at about a 45 degree angle. My thought is if I weld the correct angle it will save me the headache of bending either hose.
I will compare it to the original one more time, as I am a little concerned that if it is too much taller than the 75mm, it could be a problem. I am concerned that the height of the intake side will be too high and allow backwash into the motor?
I used fiberglass elbows on mine. Since the boat is still on the hard, I haven't run the engine since, but they seem pretty sturdy.
You're right to be concerned about siphoning. Common practice is to put the waterlock muffler at the lowest point in the exhaust run, but since I'm a firm believer in Gravity, I used a 2 FT tall exhaust riser to make sure I'd have a slope all the way to the through-hull.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Neeltje exhaust riser.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	82715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Neeltje waterlock.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	398.2 KB
ID:	82716  

Tags