Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2022, 09:26   #1

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40
Source forWesterbeke glow plugs

I need to change the glow plugs on my Westerbeke 55C4. It doesn’t need them to start, but they aren’t working and I want them to. The core engine is an Isuzu 4LE2. This comes from a plate on the head. Aside from the cost from Westerbeke there is the delay, which can run for weeks. Since Isuzu has been making medium -size Diesel engines for a long time, I feel these glow plugs should be fairly accessible on the assumption that they didn’t re-design or re-spec glow plugs every time they came out with a new engine.
Isuzu built several related engines, 4LE1, for example— and many parts appear to be interchangeable. But I can’t seem to nail down the Isuzu glow plug part number for this.
I believe Isuzu used this engine in the Isuzu Trooper in the 80’s and their medium duty truck like the NPR in the late 90’s. It has also been used on construction equipment, fork lifts, pumps, generators, etc. I should be able to the plugs as parts for those vehicles, but no dice yet. If I could get just one good number, I should be able to cross it to NGK, Denso, Champion, AC/Autolite, etc. But I can’t yet.
The old glow plug has no markings that appear to be a trademark, though a number is stamped on the flats of the hex which have rung no bells, and may only be a production lot number. No doubt Westerbeke spec’d unlabeled parts as much as possible to deter third-party parts sourcing, like they do on their raw water pumps.
So- I’m out of ideas. I know I’m sailing in a fleet here of a bunch of guys smarter people than me. What do I do?
Old 26-07-2022, 09:45   #2

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC
Re: Source forWesterbeke glow plugs

Click image for larger version

Name:	23502CB6-093F-4236-8B12-815BFF6E831B.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	261585
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 02:14   #3

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

Thanks, but I’ve found that, and that plug part number means nothing to the local Isuzu truck dealer.
Old 27-07-2022, 06:12   #4

Boat: Leopard 38+; Corsair F-31UC

The game to play with Westerbeke is to figure out which tractor your Westerbeke engine goes into. Your Isuzu engine is found in a John Deere 75D excavator. It is also found in these tractors: Hitachi, Case, Link Belt, John Deere, JCB. Once you determine the year make and model of a tractor you can order your parts from a tractor supplier at a fraction of the cost and they are equally Stout to stand up to dirty dusty farming conditions or construction conditions. I did this with my Westerbeke engines and I figure I am saving 75% on parts. Good luck

I’ve never heard of these guys but they say they have your glow plugs.

https://www.fridayparts.com/glow-plu...avator-75d-85d
Trvlmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 11:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Westerbeke doesn't make glow plugs. Neither does Isuzu. They're made by an specialty manufacturer the engine makers buy from. Your glow plug may have a number or some id to identify the maker. Then you can do a search and probably find replacements.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2022, 13:34   #6

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
Thanks, but I’ve found that, and that plug part number means nothing to the local Isuzu truck dealer.
Google worked a treat using part number and "Bosch glow plugs" as per description
Took eeconds
Glow plugs everywhere

https://www.google.com/search?q=8941...e-gws-wiz-serp
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug, westerbeke