Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2015, 10:32   #1

Repower help

I'm trying to repower my West Indies Heritage with a 39 hp yanmar as the old 2qm20 is very weak for that boat. The best price that i have been able to find has been 8k for a new engine but is from a place called Central Engine Marine out of indonesia, my only problem is the posibility of getting scammed by a place that is not even in the US. Has anyone had any experience with this company. I also have heard about the kubota motors can anyone give me any input on those. Am trying to repower but not brake the bank, any info will be appreciated

Thanks
Alen
AlenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 10:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Repower help

Hi Alen and welcome to the forum.

Would help if you could give us an idea of where you're located. Are you in SE Asia or the US or possibly elsewhere?

If in the US have recommendations for the Kubota.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:03   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Check out Beta Marine. I think going with an offshore vendor just to save a few bucks is a big risk in such a big ticket item.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:36   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Check out Beta Marine. I think going with an offshore vendor just to save a few bucks is a big risk in such a big ticket item.
If you are in the US then I would agree that marinized Kubotas from Beta Marine are by far the best option.
Old 03-05-2015, 14:51   #5

Am located in miami fl. Might there be any beta dealers close to me. I have tried to see online about pricing but have not found much or anything about their relaiability
Old 03-05-2015, 15:26   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Lots of folks on CF have installed them and we hear very little in the way of problems. I don't believe I have heard anyone complain about their service either.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 15:40   #7

Boat: '01 Leopard 38, 3 cbn

Likewise looking for a replacement engine for a Westerbeke 44Afour (vintage 2000) for which Westerbeke no longer makes an EPA approved drop-in.
Yanmar has been suggested by mechanics who I had look at this one. Off hand I was told to look at $20k by knowledgeable friend for the convert/install. Beta looks like a better deal-look at their site-(Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine) for what it's worth (no $ discussion-anywhere) On the CF look a Beta vs Yanmar; I get the impression Beta is equal or less expensive. More importantly while people who have not had problems with their chosen brand prefer it, people who have had to work on their engine dislike Yanmar as being difficult while Beta people talk simplicity.
The Beta site lists many dealers in your area, Ft L closest.
Old 03-05-2015, 20:20   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you do a search on this forum you will find dozens of posts about the Beta Marine engines. So far I have never heard a complaint either about quality or support. A good friend installed one in his Westsail on the recommendation of the Westsail guru Bud Taplin and he loves it.

You can contact Beta Marine US directly. Beta Marine US Ltd. Distributors for Kubota based marine
Old 03-05-2015, 20:35   #9

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

I've just finished repowering and was considering a 38hp Beta (Kubota engine) due to hearing good reports about it. Although their base price was very competitive, once the options were considered the total price blew out considerably. The base price did not include a gearbox, a decent alternator, and a few other components which came inclusive with other marine engine suppliers.

I ended up going for a 42 hp Vetus (Mitsubishi based). The total cost was substantially less for the total package. I'm very happy with the end result.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 23:36   #10

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Besides direct costs, there are a few other points to consider to make sure installation costs are kept to a minimum.

Compare the engine mount position and angle to ensure major work isn't required to rebuild engine bed. Also check that your original exhaust will work with the new engine.
Check that you will have good access to the water pump">raw water pump, oil & fuel filter etc.

Check the max engine rpm, and gear ratio will still match your prop.

Overlooking these items can make a cheap engine very expensive.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 16:37   #11

I found by chance a W38 westerbeke used but in pretty good condition which i have sice bought and will replace my good but underpowered 2QM20 with, this motor came complete with transmission and was at a fraction of the price of what i would have spent on new. In the mean time if anyone needs a 2QM20 yanmar i will be placing it for sale, it is a good runner as i have said before. Thank you all for your opinion
Old 11-05-2015, 17:54   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlenH View Post
I found by chance a W38 westerbeke used but in pretty good condition which i have sice bought and will replace my good but underpowered 2QM20 with, this motor came complete with transmission and was at a fraction of the price of what i would have spent on new. In the mean time if anyone needs a 2QM20 yanmar i will be placing it for sale, it is a good runner as i have said before. Thank you all for your opinion
Being a matchmaker is not normally my role but just maybe this once...

Have a read of this thread, maybe Burning Daylight is in the market.
2qm20 starting help - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repower