Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2021, 08:03   #1

Boat: Rival 34
Replacing old wet exhaust hose.

I’m in the process of removing the old wet exhaust hose in my ancient Rival 34. I smelled exhaust fumes in the cabin just before I hauled it, and a subsequent inspection of the old hose shows cracks in some places, so time for new.

In the line is a Vetus water trap. It looks fine. Are these generally re-usable? How could I tell if it needs replacement? I don’t want to have to fit it all over again if I get it wrong. it’s difficult enough to get into the small space to do the work without doing it twice. I might never get back out again next time…..

Does the antisyphon loop need to be bled as part of the refit?

Any other “gotchas” I should know about?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CFEF86CE-5EB3-4A67-AC87-54FD342E6281.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	417.8 KB
ID:	249256  
Jeffrey1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 13:57   #2

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: Replacing old wet exhaust hose.

Following.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 14:03   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey1950 View Post
I’m in the process of removing the old wet exhaust hose in my ancient Rival 34. I smelled exhaust fumes in the cabin just before I hauled it, and a subsequent inspection of the old hose shows cracks in some places, so time for new.

In the line is a Vetus water trap. It looks fine. Are these generally re-usable? How could I tell if it needs replacement? I don’t want to have to fit it all over again if I get it wrong. it’s difficult enough to get into the small space to do the work without doing it twice. I might never get back out again next time…..

Does the antisyphon loop need to be bled as part of the refit?

Any other “gotchas” I should know about?

Thanks.
Not a big fan of those Vetus units, but I guess they work! I had one on a little Contessa 26. Seem awful flimsy. One wonders if that plastic gets crack prone from heat and vibration over time...? Also, check it is not rubbing a hole in the muffler against the hull.

"antisyphon loop bled" I'm not sure what this means? It should drain anything in there when disconnected, but if working, I suppose the tubing should be empty already. I would inspect and clean the little valve at the top of the loop.

GOTCHAS: Be careful not to underestimate the length of the expensive exhaust hose, nothing like being 10"" short and having to splice in a nice new hose!

Also, consider whether you have a loop up in the hose before it exits the transom. Often in the Lazarrette. This prevents getting water in the engine via it pulsing on the stern exit at the dock from wind waves etc. If not, you might consider if you want one and need to buy the extra hose! The hose can be bent into a 180 degree turn readily. No fitting needed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 02:57   #4

Thanks for the reply. I have all the old hose out now. I’ve read somewhere that it hardens as it ages and that new hose is more supple- making it easier to fit than to remove. I hope that’s the case! Will measure it up now so that I get the correct length.

Then on to repacking the stuffing box which it was hiding and which was the reason for booking the haul out in the first place!
Old 04-12-2021, 03:13   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Re-using the vetus water lock is just fine. The only place it can leak if it’s not cracked or otherwise damaged is an o-ring on the inlet hose connector. Loosen the hose clamp on the water lock to pull out the inlet fitting and inspect the o-ring.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 03:19   #6

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey1950 View Post
...new hose is more supple- making it easier to fit than to remove. I hope that’s the case...

Then on to repacking the stuffing box which it was hiding and which was the reason for booking the haul out in the first place!
Probably not in the first instance, soak the end in boiling water for 1 - 2 minutes immediately prior to pushing over the male barbs.

You ought to be able to access the stuffing box for adjustment with disconnecting the exhaust, so if the exhaust is restricting that, look for options to re-route it slightly to improve.
Old 04-12-2021, 03:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Probably not in the first instance, soak the end in boiling water for 1 - 2 minutes immediately prior to pushing over the male barbs.

You ought to be able to access the stuffing box for adjustment with disconnecting the exhaust, so if the exhaust is restricting that, look for options to re-route it slightly to improve.
Thanks. I was considering the hot-water routine.

The exhaust water trap will have to go back where it was. The space there is REALLY narrow and in a very shape.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:12   #8

Hot water or wipe on some dish detergent will help to slip the hose on tight fittings.

Look closely at the prop shaft where the stuffing is if you can, sometimes it's all corroded and rough from trapped salt water on stainless.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 08:25   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hot water or wipe on some dish detergent will help to slip the hose on tight fittings.

Look closely at the prop shaft where the stuffing is if you can, sometimes it's all corroded and rough from trapped salt water on stainless.
Hmm. Thanks for that, I’ll take a look.
Old 04-12-2021, 20:55   #10

I replaced my Vetus muffler/wet exhaust. It was original from 1980. I only did it because i was replacing everything else so figured "what the hell". I saved it though. It looks like it could go another 40 years to be honest. That being said, i would recommend removing it and giving it a good cleaning out if you havnt already done so. Mine was filled with tons of hard scaly deposits inside it.
BAD ORCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:34   #11

Well, the Vetus cleaned up just fine. I’m going to re-use it. There were a couple of “O”. rings sealing the inlet and they are in good shape. Thanks to all for thoughtful contributions!
Old 11-04-2022, 18:00   #12

I'm tackling the same project on the '89 Beneteau First 32S5

I replaced the exhaust hose from the exhaust manifold to the water lock last spring. It was way past due. Stupidly I didn't assume the hose run from the lock to the thru hull would also be baffed.

We just had a survey done and the hose is cracked and showing corrosion.

I measured the existing hose length and came up with 13 feet. I am trying to figure out if the existing loop is overkill. I am trying to get the length down!! I'm Scottish and I throw nickels around like man hole covers!!!

I am going to take the water lock out and thoroughly inspect. Hoping it's ok to reuse.

When I did the hose from the manifold to the water lock it was pretty easy to get it over the "barbs" The new hose was much easier to work with than the old one. It was a Trident hose. I'm in Canada.

Thanks for your input! Love this site.

BrandonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 18:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonB View Post

I measured the existing hose length and came up with 13 feet. I am trying to figure out if the existing loop is overkill. I am trying to get the length down!! I'm Scottish and I throw nickels around like man hole covers!!!
OK. I take this back. I just read on another thread that a wave up to the height of the gunnel could flood an exhaust that is not looped high enough. Reduce your loop height at your own peril.
Old 18-03-2024, 07:41   #14

Boat: 1982 Beneteau First 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonB View Post
I'm tackling the same project on the '89 Beneteau First 32S5

I replaced the exhaust hose from the exhaust manifold to the water lock last spring. It was way past due. Stupidly I didn't assume the hose run from the lock to the thru hull would also be baffed.

We just had a survey done and the hose is cracked and showing corrosion.

I am going to take the water lock out and thoroughly inspect. Hoping it's ok to reuse.

When I did the hose from the manifold to the water lock it was pretty easy to get it over the "barbs" The new hose was much easier to work with than the old one. It was a Trident hose. I'm in Canada.

Thanks for your input! Love this site.

How did the project go? It appears the muffler on our Beneteau F42 has developed a leak and is in need of replacement.
My late Dad's boat. So many great memories in the Keys/Bahama. Currently trying to figure out how we can continue the adventure without him. ISO of inexpensive wet storage and someone to teach the systems on the boat
Enyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 07:50   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enyar View Post
How did the project go? It appears the muffler on our Beneteau F42 has developed a leak and is in need of replacement.
Ugh.. The boats been on the hard for going on 2 years now. The owner has run out of funds. I am just a helper on the project.

Tags
exhaust