Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2019, 13:40   #16

Boat: Farr 1020
Re: Replacing my Yanmar ysb8 with... any suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiderman View Post
Wotname.
Did not know that thanks.

Received loud and clear on the money, she's worse than a woman I tell ya. haha
You would want to change prop anyway going from 8 to about 14 Hp, so it isn’t too bad.

Yes Beta, Nanni or any variant on the Kubitta engine is a very popular change of the YSB8 in Australia.

When measuring, remember to use the shaft as the fixed point, engine beaters are actually quite easy to change.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 16:40   #17

Boat: Cal-40

I re-powered mine with a Beta Marine. I choose the Beta because they used Kabota engines and I have some very positive experience with Kabota on industrial generators. Im very pleased with the Beta. It’s smooth running, great on fuel and easy to work on. If you need any parts your not obligated to the expensive marine dealer, I just contact the very common Kabota tractor dealer with my engine number and they have the part. If you do go Beta ask them for the optional remote oil filter insulation kit. This way you can mount your oil filter most convenient for easy and clean oil changes. The engine comes with a built in oil sump pump so oil changes are a breeze.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 18:51   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by caiderman View Post
I am currently in the research phase of replacing my Yanmar ybs8.

I am looking for something in the 2 cylinder category that is roughly the same size.

Also if anyone has the dimensions for the ysb8 that I could use to cross reference my measurements ,it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Just curious, why did you decide to replace rather than rebuild?
My tip for the repower is the Kubota based engines as parts cheaper. Only problem I've heard on The Beta is one 14hp owner had a badly corroded heat exchanger ( bad materials ) that was a real battle to have replaced under warranty.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2019, 19:40   #19

Calderman:

Your boat, the Tartan 30, is a "five-tonner", just like TP. Our boats are in many ways similar, tho' I can't claim the S&S provenance for TP :-)

What I can tell you, is that here in the Salish Sea, where the currents run strong and the winds (occasionally) do blow, my 20HP Beta is JUST enuff for my liking. Unless you only use your engine to enter and leave the marina in calm weather, I'd recommend that you don't cheap out on a replacement. A 20, or better still a 25, will cost you about 12K installed. The difference in installed cost twixt a 10 or 12 and a 25 is really quite negligible. The engine box in the T30 SHOULD take the 25, but the dimensioned drawing of the beast is within Ms. Google's ken.

You might like to know that for TP, which has almost identical parameters to the T30, the proper prop for 20HP with a standard 2.1 reduction tranny is a 16D x 13P right-hander. For a 25HP you should prolly swing a 17-incher.

You can look up a prop calculator on Google. Just put in the parameters they ask for, and you'll get an answer as close to what you need as "dammit" is to swearing. That's how professionals do it, because prop selection is an art as much as a science :-)

Cheers

TP
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar