Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2023, 09:00   #1

Removing engine while on the hard

For a few reasons we're going to be removing out Westerbeke W80 while on the hard. Engine weight according to mfgr specs is 943 lbs, but that is with transmission and accessories installed. Access is easy via removing the cockpit floor, and we have a very heavy duty boom crutch we can use to lift out and stage in the cockpit temporarily.

My question comes with getting it over the side. Logic would dictate that using the boom would be ideal, I can move the topping lift so it's closer to the engine hoist attachment point. By all accounts, the 9/16 diameter rope should be able to hold the weight of the engine (esp. minus accessories and transmission).

But does anyone have any qualms about hoisting it over the side while on the hard stands? It *seems* like it should be safe to do with say 700 lbs, as this isn't much more than a couple of fully grown adults and some gear.

I can think of a few ways to build a boom support that could support the weight as it goes over the side. Or maybe counterweight the other side of the boat with water jugs.

Or maybe I'm overthinking all of this. Do you have success stories to share?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:14   #2

Boat: Tayana FD-12
Re: Removing engine while on the hard

I regularly raise 11' whaler and 25HP Yamaha 2 stroke. That's around 500lbs.

I have done what you are saying on my old boat C&C 38 with westerbeake 40. But I had it partitioned.
Boom was used to hoist with halyard supporting boom at the spot where engine was lifted. Getting over the lifeline was a bitch. I would say the following:
1. Strip as much from the engine as possible. Starter, alternator, heat exchangers, flywheel are all very heavy and would reduce the block weight even more.

2. Peripherals are the ones that could get snagged on something and cause issues. So its worth stripping hoses and wires.

3. Strip the lifelines to make the path easy.

4. No counterweight needed
5. I have a Lehman SP90 on my current boat (1200lbs) and when this day comes, above is how i intend to get the engine out.
phorvati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:19   #3

Boat: Ericson 27

If I was you, once I had the engine in the cockpit, I’d go find the guy in the yard that operates the forklift, and offer him a six pack of beer. No sense in putting your boat at risk to save a few bucks.
hjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:22   #4

Boat: Endeavour 32

I wouldn’t trust the topping lift alone. Add the main halyard to the mix. Then use a comealong and a short web lifting strap around the boom.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:24   #5

My cockpit coaming is above the height of the lifelines on my boat anyway, so lifelines won't be a problem for me, but the coaming might be! I'll have to look into that...

Forklift is a good idea, but reaching far enough inboard might be an issue, the beam on my boat is 14.5 ft.
Old 17-03-2023, 09:29   #6

Was planning to use a chain hoist as the comealongs I've seen don't have enough travel. My side deck is 11' above the ground.
Old 17-03-2023, 09:34   #7

Sounds like a solid plan then.
Old 17-03-2023, 09:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY Harmony View Post
Sounds like a solid plan then.
Thanks. I'm mainly concerned about something crazy like the boat tipping over.

Removing the coolant tank/manifold, alternators, transmission and intake manifold is easy. I could remove the head also, as it weights about 80 lbs, but would prefer not to!
Old 17-03-2023, 09:44   #9

Boat: Columbia 36

I did it once with a 650# engine with the boat on stands. Removed the trans first, that saved about 100#. No problem using the boom and halyard to lift it out of the cabin but you're right, swinging it out over the side was the scary part. It ended up being no problem through, the boat didn't move at all. Just don't swing any further than you have to. I lowered the engine to about 3 feet above ground then backed my truck under it. I didn't trust lowering it directly into the truck, if anything let go it would have dropped right through the bed.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
Thanks. I'm mainly concerned about something crazy like the boat tipping over.

Removing the coolant tank/manifold, alternators, transmission and intake manifold is easy. I could remove the head also, as it weights about 80 lbs, but would prefer not to!
Add an extra stand or two to the side you will lift off of.
Old 17-03-2023, 09:55   #11

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Think about the jackstands that are keeping your boat up. Success with 650 lbs does not guarantee success with 950 lbs, and the consequences of failure would have me hiring a crane.

I lifted my 600 lb engine with a Lewmar 43 halyard winch, but the boat was in the water and the winch was pretty much maxed out. I put the engine on deck, went to the sailing center, and slipped them $10 to use their 2 ton boat hoist.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:57   #12

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Even if a forklift can't reach far enough inboard, it should still reduce how far off-center you have to swing the engine before transferring the load off the boat.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 09:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
Think about the jackstands that are keeping your boat up. Success with 650 lbs does not guarantee success with 950 lbs, and the consequences of failure would have me hiring a crane.

I lifted my 600 lb engine with a Lewmar 43 halyard winch, but the boat was in the water and the winch was pretty much maxed out. I put the engine on deck, went to the sailing center, and slipped them $10 to use their 2 ton boat hoist.
I thought about hiring a crane, but a quick search online only found companies willing to rent 20+ ton cranes: way more than I need.
Old 17-03-2023, 10:09   #14
cruiser

Boat: Sabre 34-1 CB, 34 feet

A cherry picker would do the job and less expensive than the crane.
Sailor Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2023, 10:20   #15

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingunity View Post
For a few reasons we're going to be removing out Westerbeke W80 while on the hard. Engine weight according to mfgr specs is 943 lbs, but that is with transmission and accessories installed. Access is easy via removing the cockpit floor, and we have a very heavy duty boom crutch we can use to lift out and stage in the cockpit temporarily.

My question comes with getting it over the side. Logic would dictate that using the boom would be ideal, I can move the topping lift so it's closer to the engine hoist attachment point. By all accounts, the 9/16 diameter rope should be able to hold the weight of the engine (esp. minus accessories and transmission).

But does anyone have any qualms about hoisting it over the side while on the hard stands? It *seems* like it should be safe to do with say 700 lbs, as this isn't much more than a couple of fully grown adults and some gear.

I can think of a few ways to build a boom support that could support the weight as it goes over the side. Or maybe counterweight the other side of the boat with water jugs.

Or maybe I'm overthinking all of this. Do you have success stories to share?
When else would you do it? Its far safer to to it while on the hard stand than in the water. Even safer if your club has a boom truck or big forklift. I did my engine swap on the hard. Perkins 4.154 came out with the boom truck and the same boom truck dropped in the replacement Yanmar.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, on the hard